JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For quite some time i have had this idea in my head about making some kind of base plate you wear on your shoulder. The idea is the AR pistol has the the tube on the end of it and you rest that tube on the base plate that you are wearing on your shoulder. It's not attached to the gun whatsoever. So my question is would you have to get a tax stamp for it or would it be perfectly legal to use without one since it's not apart of the gun?

Well the part of the definition that divides a pistol from a rifle is "A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder...."

So while the firearm itself does not meet that definition, having the 2 used together may....

With that said why not just put the buffer tube to your shoulder like everyone else?

Well the part of the definition that divides a pistol from a rifle is "A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder...."

So while the firearm itself does not meet that definition, having the 2 used together may....

With that said why not just put the buffer tube to your shoulder like everyone else?

I personally haven't shot a pistol AR but to me it would seem like it would be a little uncomfortable after awhile putting the buffer tube up against my shoulder since the surface area isn't spread out like on a regular buttstock. I'm not a wimp when it comes to recoil. I have sat down and put 100 rounds through my mosin at one time.

The recoil on an AR pistol isn't even that bad. I shoot it with just the buffer tube close to my cheek. Not even resting on anything.

It's mainly been an idea that i have floated in my head. And most likely an idea that will stay there unless i ever get an AR pistol and decide to do something creative. My main concern would be if it would require a tax stamp or not.

Look up "AR Wrist Stabilizing Device". It was originally designed for folks with physical disabilities, and there is an ATF letter describing how mounting it on a pistol does not change it into a rifle. It's probably just a coincidence that it goes against the shoulder pretty nicely. Combine that with an 11 1/2" barrel and a quad rail and you've got pretty close to what you're talking about only in one piece instead of two, and there is no doubt that it's legally a pistol. In my state, there are things you can do with a pistol that you can't with an SBR.

Ah, looks like KalamaMark beat me to it. The Sig is a really nice one. It uses the M400 receiver and has a nicer trigger than your run-of-the-mill AR. My favorite LGS is selling them for $1200, which isn't much more than what you could build one for, the way they are decked out (allowing for buying at least one extra buffer if it's your first build).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads