JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a recipe for it, got it from a Cajun I was in the Army with, but it got destroyed on one of my moves. IIRC, you can use dry chili's added to salt, vinegar, onion and garlic powders and blend it up and let it set for several days to weeks in a cool cupboard. I haven't made it in 15yrs or more. I think I used Chile De Arbol's when I made it. After using Tabasco in the MRE's I always carried another hotsauce in my LBE and a spare in my ruck and A-bag!.

Making actual Tabasco sauce is a big project. I've been to the factory and they ferment it among other processes. Making a really good hot sauce from hot chiles is a different matter. I've had some really good home made hot sauce, so it's sure doable, but I've never done it myself.

Yeah, I have heard that Tabasco takes a while to make, but I got tired of it in the army and looked to make my own. I like to taste something besides vinegar! I had a chance to work with some Malay paratroopers around '94 and as soon as I opened my jar of sambal the guys I was with got all happy! Glad I had a spare in my ruck!

I think somebody mentioned it, but .22lr is Quiet!!! Especially out of a rifle (i have shot a Ruger MK3 and one from Beretta, both are WAY louder than the rifle). In a SHTF situation, i would rather not scare the people within earshot of me if i dont have to. One fired from a rifle, inside of a house, through a window, out to meet your dinner sitting in a tree should be fairly quiet. (This could be louder to you since you are in an enclosed environment) Also, many little critters are not startled by this relatively quiet round. If i was a bird and heard a quick swoosh, i would probably just sit in my branch and wait for your next bullet :) It is also a very friendly round to fire. Fore example, what does pretty much everyone start off shooting? Well at least on farms and such? its the .22lr. It can build confidence, esecially with virtually no recoil. This could be great if you wanted to arm say.... your wife..... for hunting.

How far into SHTF would 22 ammo actually become a trade-able commodity is one question. Then another is how useful would 22 ammo be in an urban environment, there may be an occasional crow or squirrel but is there really much to hunt in a major down town city?

I am not knocking anyone survival plans, but it just seems like most are geared towards leaving to the mountains.

Not much to eat in the city...I hunt pigeons regularly, it's just a larger dove after-all..the meat is good -mostly just breast meat but makes a good meal...I don't hunt them in cities as I don't live in cities for any appreciable length of time and you can't go shooting guns off their anyways other than pellet guns... I hunt them when I see them in the bush...they can feed you well but you do need some fat to go along with lean meat...I usually fry them up...in any case the mountains will give you more food options than the city.

However, I am more likely to stock up on .22 mag and .22 lr ammo...the former for big game hunting and longer range medium to small game if the need calls for it, the latter for small game at close ranges exclusively.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top