JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After gold was establised as the worlds currency, spices where one of the old worlds first international commitidies. Nobody likes tasteless food. Entire economies where based off the spice trade.

SF-

After gold was establised as the worlds currency, spices where one of the old worlds first international commitidies. Nobody likes tasteless food. Entire economies where based off the spice trade.

SF-

Yep, many of the earliest sailors who had the guts to sail the world's seas made their fortunes on gold and spices. Many bought spices with gold where spices were grown and not too valuable, and then took the spices to where there was lots of gold but no spices and made fortunes. The camel train merchants in the Mid East also made fortunes getting and transporting and selling spices.

I think salt and pepper would be "spices" in the sense that they would be valuable in a long term SHTF.

SF-

Because it tastes good and some say it's an antibiotic raw.

Also, some people are allergic to it so it doubles as a weapon, lol. :)

Agreed on both counts.. it's tasty, tradeable, easy to grow, healthy, and useful. So why not?

Yep, many of the earliest sailors who had the guts to sail the world's seas made their fortunes on gold and spices. Many bought spices with gold where spices were grown and not too valuable, and then took the spices to where there was lots of gold but no spices and made fortunes. The camel train merchants in the Mid East also made fortunes getting and transporting and selling spices.

I think salt and pepper would be "spices" in the sense that they would be valuable in a long term SHTF.

Marco Polo is one of those spice traders. (he took the land route, but yeah)

Salt's a preservitive as old as civilization, and pepper's.. good on eggs.

You can grow garlic from the raw cloves you buy in the store. Just separate them and plant them point up, deep enough to cover with about an inch of soil. Springtime. Nice thing about garlic is that is reproduces to kind that way. Find a bulb that's really good, plant the rest of the cloves and you are cloning it, I think??

You can grow garlic from the raw cloves you buy in the store. Just separate them and plant them point up, deep enough to cover with about an inch of soil. Springtime. Nice thing about garlic is that is reproduces to kind that way. Find a bulb that's really good, plant the rest of the cloves and you are cloning it, I think??

pretty sure, start with, say, 8 cloves, plant, they grow, 8 garlic bulbs, break and replant one, keep 7... rinse, repeat. least i'm pretty sure thats how it works.

pretty sure, start with, say, 8 cloves, plant, they grow, 8 garlic bulbs, break and replant one, keep 7... rinse, repeat. least i'm pretty sure thats how it works.

At the end of the growing season you dig them, knock off excess dirt and hang them by the green tubular main stalk to dry and store. The green part is very edible too when fresh. In the Spring, break apart into cloves and plant.

Think about it like a financial advisor does with your investments. DIVERSIFY, not any one is going to be a FOR SURE homerun, but a balanced stock of everything will do you well. Just like extra food, only store what you would use yourself.

For me, I think in terms of toilet paper, soap, alcohol, medicine, fuel, ammo, water......and not necessarily in that order.

.22lr is a great round. Talk to some people from back south, they use them to drop deer. Besides, if you can't use it as barter WSHTF, you can use it to defend what you do have. Even a stupid person will leave ou alone after a .22 to the face.

22 is cheap and there is always a need. Don't worry about trade value. When bullets are money you will have doubled your cash instantly. Wait longer and it may be 4x the value. Nonone wants to be shot, 22 or not. Let the sheeple be raided first. I would say you can never have enough.

The .22lr is far under rated by some imho. I still wonder which has killed the most deer legally and illegally - the 22lr, the 30-30, or ??

Remembering that most self defense situations, even defending your home inside or from a gang outside are at fairly close range, a .22 is very accurate and shot placement is always key. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I can do a lot of damage in a hurry with my Nylon 66.

$.02

Remember in a SHTF senario, you are not going to be deciding which deer to kill because there won't be any. You will be hoping to spot a wild bird or a cat. 22 works perfect. Not going be much left of a song bird after the shot w the 30-30.

You can grow garlic from the raw cloves you buy in the store.
Don't know how much it applies to any specific plant, but one thing to consider is that your store-bought may be tuned for a very different locale. Yeah, it's a great garlic, but it's one that grew well in California, China (!?!) or Argentina. If you just want to give it a try, sure go ahead, but alternatively, consider buying some stock from someone like Territorial Seed that has varieties tuned for the Pacific North Wet.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-garlic-calchina.html
http://territorialseed.com

MrB 7may10

Don't know how much it applies to any specific plant, but one thing to consider is that your store-bought may be tuned for a very different locale. Yeah, it's a great garlic, but it's one that grew well in California, China (!?!) or Argentina. If you just want to give it a try, sure go ahead, but alternatively, consider buying some stock from someone like Territorial Seed that has varieties tuned for the Pacific North Wet.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-garlic-calchina.html
http://territorialseed.com

MrB 7may10

Or better yet.... Hold onto your seats.... This is so simple.... Go to your local farmers market and buy your garlic there. Ask your local farmer all your questions about your local growing season and the tricks they use. 90% of your local farmers would most likely help you get started with your crops. It goes back to their philosophy of teaching a man to fish vs. giving him a fish, or something like that...

Another resource would OSU department of Agriculture. All these smart people waiting in one place with all of their knowledge just hoping someone walks through the door to show them how much they know.

The American Farmer: The Original Survivor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top