JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am questioning one item I see brought up on a regular basis. collect .22 ammo a if will be trade-able when SHTF.

My question is how far are you guys planning ahead? I mean I have planned to sustain myself for like a month in food and water supplies, more if I ration it appropriate.

How far into SHTF would 22 ammo actually become a trade-able commodity is one question. Then another is how useful would 22 ammo be in an urban environment, there may be an occasional crow or squirrel but is there really much to hunt in a major down town city?

I am not knocking anyone survival plans, but it just seems like most are geared towards leaving to the mountains.

I am just trying picking out ideas that I questioned to get a better understand myself so I can become more prepared.

side note, I bought (6) 550 .22lr from Walmart last night they were STOCKED UP! This gives me a total of 7.5 boxes :) I was stocking up for personal use though not planning for SHTF..

Nobody can predict how this will all turn out so values on anything are just a guess. How much does all your 22 ammo weigh?

jj

Are there no pigeons where you live?..

Not really. I see them when I go to Seattle, but never see them here in Tacoma.

I see the occasional seagull and some really small birds about the size of my hand.

I guess I understand why it would be usefull but it would be after months and months of having cut off thenew food and water supply. the the problem with trading it is what % of the population owns guns in an urban area and better yet owns .22's? It just seems like there would be better things to stock up on to trade for such as booze.

Not saying its a bad idea, just thinking on all ends of the spectrum.. I guess a dozen rounds of .22 would be worth more than a bottle of booze if you have not eaten in days, well to most people atleast :)

I am questioning one item I see brought up on a regular basis. collect .22 ammo a if will be trade-able when SHTF.

My question is how far are you guys planning ahead? I mean I have planned to sustain myself for like a month in food and water supplies, more if I ration it appropriate.

How far into SHTF would 22 ammo actually become a trade-able commodity is one question. Then another is how useful would 22 ammo be in an urban environment, there may be an occasional crow or squirrel but is there really much to hunt in a major down town city?

I am not knocking anyone survival plans, but it just seems like most are geared towards leaving to the mountains.

I am just trying picking out ideas that I questioned to get a better understand myself so I can become more prepared.

side note, I bought (6) 550 .22lr from Walmart last night they were STOCKED UP! This gives me a total of 7.5 boxes :) I was stocking up for personal use though not planning for SHTF..

In the absence of certain things, the animals will drift back towards the cities.

I mean how often have you seen deers hit by cars? or 'dangerous' cougars drifting into populated suburban areas.

With no one to tame animals, with less cars to scare them off, no one to cut back forest areas or anything like that, im pretty sure that animals will come back.

.22 ammo is always good to stock up on.

A well placed shot can take down the biggest threat or prey, rounds are cheap as ****, light weight, and in a SHTF event its pretty low on noise.

Not really. I see them when I go to Seattle, but never see them here in Tacoma.

I see the occasional seagull and some really small birds about the size of my hand.

I guess I understand why it would be usefull but it would be after months and months of having cut off thenew food and water supply. the the problem with trading it is what % of the population owns guns in an urban area and better yet owns .22's? It just seems like there would be better things to stock up on to trade for such as booze.

Not saying its a bad idea, just thinking on all ends of the spectrum.. I guess a dozen rounds of .22 would be worth more than a bottle of booze if you have not eaten in days, well to most people atleast :)

if someone wont buy your ammo you can always use it to acquire food, to protect yourself, use the gunpowder to take a spark for fire, etc.

If you got liquor and no one is around to buy it youre pretty SOL, and i dont think drinking in a survival situation is wise.

I imagine i could survive off crows and squirrel meat for awhile till i can knab a fishing spot or bigger game.

One thing I want to do now is obtain ways to preserve meats and berries. that and learn how to track/trap animals

I have been buying a .22lr rifle on sale for $129 - $139 regularly and getting a couple of bricks to go with it. It's called diversification of the portfolio. :D

A lot of people don't own a gun or don't have one for each adult. I think there's a good chance of barter value if people are afraid or hungry - two things which are likely to happen to people in a national catastrophe.

Yeah....A marlin 60 or 795 @ $129.00 or a Mossberg 702 for around $100.00 and a brick or two of bulk .22 and your all set for all of your light work.....

You can use it now to attend an Appleseed shoot, and learn how to shoot rifles. Then use it later to teach someone else how...

Use it for foraging small game..Get a few boxes of sub-sonic and you have a quiet varminter...

Although not the most robust round, the .22 has done a fine job of defense work in a pinch....

I figure in addition to being a potential SHTF commodity, I also have more .22s than any other weapon, 2 rifles and 2 pistols--that's one per family member. I aso primarily practice with my .22s.

I have been buying a few brick every payday since 08. I now have a 30,000 and I shoot at least 2 bricks every month.

In the absence of certain things, the animals will drift back towards the cities.
My family's lived in one of the Portland 'burbs, but well 'in' town of a moderate sized city, for 25 years. In the last year we've had 3 coyote sightings including one scooting through our back yard. We hear the packs of 'em whooping it up regularly when it's window-open weather.

MrB

One thing I want to do now is obtain ways to preserve meats and berries. that and learn how to track/trap animals
Jack Spirko at TSP gushes over biltong, says once you've tried it you'll never want jerky again. One plus for it is that, if I understand right (I've never made it myself,) no heat is needed -- just vinegar, salt and spices. In a post-SHTF you may be trying to conserve your propane...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

MrB

some links food for thought :)
you be the decider for what you need to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlcYpgfI564
you be the decider

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

talk, chat , video , for free, free download free to use what's not to like ??
http://www.skype.com/

http://survivalblog.com/

http://sites.google.com/site/alternatefuelhow/

knowledge is power, always question authority
if you choose not to have any more emails
then please let me know
thanks and have a nice day
Extraordinary Popular Delusions And the Madness of Crowds
By Charles MacKay
http://books.google.com/books?id=JV...r+delusions+and+the+madness+of+crowds#PPP1,M1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_VFKqw1q2Q
FIRST THEY IGNORE YOU
THEN THEY LAUGH AT YOU
THEN THEY FIGHT YOU
THEN YOU WIN

Mohatma GANDHI

I'm geared towards staying put. Live on a bit over one acre about 20 minutes from Portland. Have been expanding edible landscaping, plus adding more raised beds. Have a couple goats. Could easily include some chickens (but haven't). Can pretty much grow food year round here, so I maintain a good seed supply (heirlooms). Don't think ammunition will be used as currency. Have lots of ammo because I love to shoot. A well stocked pantry includes at least a case of Tabasco Sauce!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top