JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone, first of all I wanted to say hi to everyone since I am new to the forum. Second, to congratulate the founder of the forum and the people that post on here everyday. I have been reading posts for a few days and I decided to register today. Third, I have been trying to find a section on the forum to post this question and I came to the conclusion this was the most appropriate one.

I purchased a new Taurus85 UL almost 1 year ago and believe it or not, I have not shot it yet. I did not have time nor the option to leave my baby alone.

I do not have a concealed permit and I do not open carry neither. I keep it at the house for now even though I will be applying for a CHL soon and I want to know if this revolver is safe to carry or not, since I personally like its light weight.

My concern is, when I load it and lock the barrel in, I noticed the barrel locks but if I touch it a little after locking it, it kind of moves a little, without actually rotating of course, but as if it were loose, making a tiny noise. It is locked in position to fire, aligned and all. Never thought of it until now. Also I have noticed that the trigger when looked at it from above, it is not symmetrical, but seems to be tilted a little bit towards one side, although it is perpendicular to the frame and not bent or anything. I have never had a revolver before, and I was wondering if that is normal or if anybody else that owns the same revolver can tell me.

Thank you very much for your help and excuse my ignorance on the matter.

Sincerely,

Zop

Most revolvers have a tiny bit of "slop" in the cylinder. That's normal, even for a new gun. As to the hammer being a little off, it may be a minor machining error. If the hammer falls normally/not binding when dry firing, it's fine. I've owned many different brands of revolvers and have found both those issues on mine. They are nothing to be concerned about. Kudos to you for planning for home protection for you and your child.:s0155:

Most revolvers have a tiny bit of "slop" in the cylinder. That's normal, even for a new gun. As to the hammer being a little off, it may be a minor machining error. If the hammer falls normally/not binding when dry firing, it's fine. I've owned many different brands of revolvers and have found both those issues on mine. They are nothing to be concerned about. Kudos to you for planning for home protection for you and your child.:s0155:

Thank you for your reply. I thought dry firing was bad for the weapon. Im new so I have no idea. I just read about it a couple of times. How do you exactly do that? I guess I should try it if it is not going to hurt the revolver. Oops, wait a minute, did I say hammer, I meant to say the trigger.

First and foremost, make sure the gun is unloaded. With the cylinder open, hold the gun up to the light to verify that all 5 chambers are empty. Close the cylinder and practice pulling the trigger. Double action is when you pull the long heavy trigger pull. Single action is when you cock the hammer first- you then have a shorter, lighter trigger pull. Practice both your trigger pulls till you are comfortable. Then go shoot it.:s0155::D

First and foremost, make sure the gun is unloaded. With the cylinder open, hold the gun up to the light to verify that all 5 chambers are empty. Close the cylinder and practice pulling the trigger. Double action is when you pull the long heavy trigger pull. Single action is when you cock the hammer first- you then have a shorter, lighter trigger pull. Practice both your trigger pulls till you are comfortable. Then go shoot it.:s0155::D

Thanks Magnum! But look at what I found in the manual "SAFETY FIRST: If a firearm fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, keep ... SAFETY FIRST: Dry firing is bad for this firearm" http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sdYeOwcaw&sig2=e_SiY7kByFfvR_VPD7xzdw&cad=rja

Perhaps dry firing is bad for some guns and not for others? I guess I will have to go shoot it directly instead! I was kind of excited about checking out what you just suggested.

Too bad!

Pick up some practice "snap caps". They look like plastic rounds. They are for practice dry firing. They are not live ammunition, are inert for practice. Your gun "may" not be permited to dry fire if it has a manual safety on it. I'm sure that using snap caps will be fine. Snap caps give the firing pin something to strike on.
If you go to your local gun store to buy some snap caps, bring your unloaded gun in with you (in it's box) and ask them about using them in your gun. :s0155:

Pick up some practice "snap caps". They look like plastic rounds. They are for practice dry firing. They are not live ammunition, are inert for practice. Your gun "may" not be permited to dry fire if it has a manual safety on it. I'm sure that using snap caps will be fine. Snap caps give the firing pin something to strike on.
If you go to your local gun store to buy some snap caps, bring your unloaded gun in with you (in it's box) and ask them about using them in your gun. :s0155:

I'll do! Snap caps should do the trick then. I will also ask the owner of the store and see before I get them.

What a nice experience, my first post and resolved in 1 hour.

Excellent place, thank you Magnum.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads