JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
QUESTION: How Do You DOCUMENT Transfer of Firearm to Family Member

RE: OREGON

Description: I want to gift a pistol to my son-in-law, the spouse of my step-daughter. ORS 166.435, Section 4,c,J allows he and I to do this WITHOUT going through the 4473 / background check through an FFL.

But I cannot find anything anywhere in the Oregon Revised Statues that provides directions about how to DOCUMENT this type of transfer.

Questions:

1.) Does anyone know if HOW TO DOCUMENT THIS TYPE OF TRANSFER is referenced in the ORS anywhere? If so, can you provide me with the location in the ORS?

2.) For those of you who have transferred a firearm to a family member permitted under ORS 166.435, Section 4,c,J, after July of 1985, did you document that transfer in any way? If so, how?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Why would you willingly involve the government when there is no legal requirement to do so? You'll only create a headache and muddy your own waters while justifying the bloat

Funny coincidence, I was just asked the same question maybe an hour ago, by an acquaintance who said his father-in-law wants to give him a gun.

Your SIL isn't an electrician is he?

Anything post SB941 " Oregon FFL transfer " that I have gifted , I just let the new owner know if they attempt to sell firearm I would be notified. I would be given a headache and they would get worse.
No paperwork needed but if post-FFL requirements a trip flare would go up if sold passed to non-family member party " possible "
If Pre-SB941.....ha ha ha ha

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I don't WANT to involve the government in my business. But I don't want to miss something that is going to cost me thousands of dollars in attorney's fees to fix, especially if it's not a big deal to implement.

Most of you who've responded are knowledgeable, and it looks like my perception is correct - that there isn't anything in the ORS requiring documenting such a transfer.

The reason I asked is because I want to gift (transfer) the pistol to him BEFORE the possible passing of IP 17/18 this fall. That could complicate him receiving that firearm. Better for him to have it before the November elections just in case.

Funny coincidence, I was just asked the same question maybe an hour ago, by an acquaintance who said his father-in-law wants to give him a gun.

Your SIL isn't an electrician is he?
@CLT65 - Nope, not him.

"Documents, to hell with Documents! We have no Documents. In fact, we don't need Documents. I don't have to show you any stinking Documents!"
That's why I tossed out my CHL permit card and went to a badge. Cool, huh?! :p

W94G.png

I gave my son-in-law a handgun several years ago. While no documentation was required, I noted his name and the date of transfer in my inventory database. Because of kids in the house it is both hidden and secured.

I'm way late to this party but do have a thought.

Write up a gift letter and have him sign it. You keep the letter on file for that "just in case" situation that will probably never happen. But if it does you are covered.

Nobody will ever need to see the document (especially the Government) unless a problem develops in the future.

Write up a gift letter and have him sign it. You keep the letter on file for that "just in case" situation that will probably never happen. But if it does you are covered.
WHY!!?? You plan on jamming up or otherwise throwing your family member under the bus when the burden is on the prosecutor to prove guilt. Not yours......

If asked, you have the right to remain silent. Period!

HOWEVER...

... Once IP17 / Oregon Ballot Measure 114 becomes law in 2023 if the person you gifted to does not have a new Firearms Purchase Permit and that serial number of yours comes up (for example if they have a DGU, it is lost/stolen or they sell it), then law enforcement may accuse you of transferring the firearm to them post 2023 without them obtaining the proper Permission Slip.

I suggest that you document the gift on paper, have both of you sign and date it, then keep it in your safe.

HOWEVER...

...then law enforcement may accuse you of transferring the firearm to them post 2023 without them obtaining the proper Permission Slip.
HOWEVER.... the burden is on them to prove it. They can accuse you all they like but the only way to prove it is by admission of one party or the other.

I say, if it ain't required by law, you did nothing illegal, then keep your traps shut and don't create papertrails that "might" be used to jam someone up. Especially family. It's not at all uncommon for folks to talk themselves into trouble or even jail. Don't be one of those guys.

Again, you have the right to remain silent. Use it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top