Question for you ladies

Discussion in 'Women Shooters' started by BlackdogGS, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Angie

Angie
    Reno, NV

What was the reasoning? I'm sorry, but I get really irritated when men tell a woman that they know what the perfect gun for her is. Seems like it is most always a .22

Okay, I'm not really sorry :p I think you should get a new instructor ;)

Are you having a difficult time hitting the target with your Shield?

2. Angie

Angie
    Reno, NV

and welcome!!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Just a note to let you know NOT all Male Firearms Instructors think the Only gun for a Lady is a .22 Rimfire. I used to teach a number of "Ladies Only" Firearms Classes. During those classes the ladies had a chance to handle a bunch of different Handguns from pellet pistols to Smith and Wesson Model 29s. The class ran Tuesday and Thursday from 6pm until 10pm for a total of 8 weeks plus two live fire Range days. When they finished they had Certs. for Basic Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzle Loading Rifle and Pistol plus WA State Hunter Ed. They had all had a chance to fire a Cylinder or a Magazine full of any of the Firearms that we had available. About 30+ if memory serves. Of the 40 who began the first class we graduated 40 with Three Fourths of them obtaining there CPL. That class even included a student who gave birth Three days after the last Range Day! She named the Baby after the other Instructor. Tony didn't mind that they used the name spelt with an "I". The Mother had to have her Husband hang onto her S&W .38 Chief Special during the delivery but she reclaimed it later that day, before leaving the Hospital! The Staff never knew; she said it was NONE of their business.

If we hadn't moved South into Kinky Kounty I'm guessing we might still be teaching.

Motomom34 and Angie like this.
  4. Angie

Angie
    Reno, NV

I know there are a lot of good instructors out there :D For some women a .22 is great. Low recoil, builds confidence, will offer more protection than nothing, people can die from a .22 round. But if a woman is purchases a 9mm and is practicing with it, I can't understand why anyone would tell her she should go purchase a smaller round. If she is struggling with it, it's the instructors job to help her get over what ever she is struggling with, recoil, fear of the "bang", weak wrists, stance, etc. I'm sure you know this, though, KKG.

Wolf256, BillyJean and KKG like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34
    Colorado

I have never heard a male recommend a .22. Most males that I have encountered think the bigger is better, failing to consider wrist strength etc. I just had a male call and tell me I needed to buy a glock, I thought about it but no thanks. I own a .22 and I love my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Of all the handguns I own, the Ruger is the most fun to shoot. I do not carry my .22 but if I am trying a new stance or pushing the target out further, I always start with the .22

@BlackdogGS good luck to your wife.

Angie, Ura-Ki and KKG like this.
  6. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

I've taught for many years and have always told my students that they should go with what works for them. But, I have always encouraged my students to try different Firearms. The .22 Rimfire is a wonderful tool for teaching and learning and as a defensive Weapon it's better than nothing.

Angie and Motomom34 like this.
  7. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

Just a FWIW the ladies(Young and Old) - if you can get them away from Husband/Boyfriend/etc. - are MUCH better students than men. When I was teaching Hunter Ed I also expelled the Parent(s) to the back of the classroom. I've lost count of how many times I heard "But my Dad/Uncle/etc. said..." especially when the subject of crossing a fence line came up.

Now, the One thing I never did was Teach the Test. I once had another "Instructor"(and I use that term Very lightly) state that he needed his Range Days setup not more than two weeks after his class because he was afraid his students wouldn't Remember what they had learned! I flat refused to Team Teach with that man.:mad:

Angie likes this.
  8. Wolf256

Wolf256
    Kitsap County WA

IMG_0438.PNG I haven't been around for a while but I wanted to let you know about an excellent pistol I picked up for concealed carry. Now normally I'm a Sig gal, but the Browning Black Label 1911 .380 is a great shooter. I got the 4.25" barrel with the night sites. This pistol punches paper like a 9 (yeah I know the .380 is a 9mm short). I love the 1911 design and the Black Label is 85% the size of a 1911. Fits beautifully in my hand and no noticeable recoil. It is also available in .22 LR if that is your desired caliber. If anyone is interesred, I'll post a picture when I can find it. Found it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    Motomom34 likes this.