Question for you ladies

Discussion in 'Women Shooters' started by BlackdogGS, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Great Choice, Congrats! Also, Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you with us!
    Please feel free to share, and ask all the questions you like. We were all neubies at one time! :):):)

Sgt Nambu, nammac and SKrueger like this.
  2. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Welcome and enjoy the sport. I love the fact more women are getting in to it :)

3. Susanlpta

Susanlpta
    Portland

Thanks! I'm getting more into it all the time however I am having a difficult time finding outdoor spots to go and shoot. I live in Portland and would like to find somewhere within an hour from home. I don't mind a range but sometimes a gravel pit can be pretty fun! or to be able to even just set up cans or clay spots. The only place I really know of is the Memaloose gravel pit in Estacada and it gets pretty crowded....any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

Check out the outdoor shooting area section. There are a lot of good places to go. Most of them you want to get there early for a good spot.

I would post a link to that thread but I can't on my phone. :confused:

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

You can also go to some of the clean ups. It's a great way to meet members and learn about shooting areas ;)

Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki and nammac like this.
  6. Susanlpta

Susanlpta
    Portland

Awesome and thank you!

Sgt Nambu and SKrueger like this.
  7. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Silver Supporter

Welcome aboard Susan, you already found the key to proficiency... Practice, practice and when you think your really good, more practice...

Shields are a real good choice for concealed carry, the addition of a laser and/or night sights only makes 'em better!

8. Susanlpta

Susanlpta
    Portland

Lol thank you! And I love your picture! I'm going to get my concealed permit soon! That's the main reason I got it! I'd like to take a "women's" course on safety and technique. But not opposed to others. Any suggestions appreciated....

9. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Silver Supporter

Michael at MK Tactical in Hillsboro runs courses during the drier months, as his classes include live fire at an outdoor range.

BeaverCreek Armory in Hillsboro did have woman only classes they ran at one time. Might be worth giving than a call...

My recommendation is to get that CHL in process ASAP, there's new legislation that's about to make it more difficult to meet the requirements for a CHL.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. Susanlpta

Susanlpta
    Portland

Oh ya good advice. thank you!

11. rick benjamin

rick benjamin
    USA, Or, Damascus
    Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

SKrueger and nammac like this.
  12. Susanlpta

Susanlpta
    Portland

Oh great! Thank you so much for the information. We went to the gravel pit East of the Memaloose bridge to shoot today. LOTS of garbage left there but someone left a whole watermelon and hard boiled Easter eggs we used as targets! Whoo hoo! Great fun!

nammac, Certaindeaf and MrMillspecer like this.
  13. Really InCongnito

Really InCongnito
    Grants Pass

I know I'm really late to the party here, but one of my favorite short guns is my CZ 75B. It's a 9mm and fires smooth as butter. It's pretty accurate, full sized though - if she likes big purses, it's a carry possible. It's not heavy compared to most of my other short guns. I've got a little Sig P232 that's a .380. It's cute, sexy, and I feel like I could be a geriatric Bond Girl when I carry it, but it's not very accurate, and actually heavier than the CZ. I know when I bring newbies to the range they really like it best.

14. ikemay

ikemay
    WA

I'm a little late too. Like nammac stated, practice a ton. But yes, a laser and/or night sights. I took my laser off my Shield 9mm, just never really cottoned to it. But I really like my night sights, no batteries, nothing mechanical to think about. I'm pretty good at point and shoot but I do like to at least see my front sight in the dark. Mine seems to really like Federal HST 124 grain non+P.

Get a good belt and a good holster and you are set.

Best of luck.

nammac and SKrueger like this.
  15. Susanlpta

Susanlpta
    Portland

Thank you for your advice! I took a CHL course yesterday and my instructor told me I should get a revolver. In fact he said a Ruger WMR 22mag would be ideal for me. And to get a laser....I can't get another right now but I do like my S&W shield!

nammac and jrd541280 like this.
  16. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene
    Curmudgeon Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Contact @LethalLovebird here on NWFA. He runs all female classes including range time.

LethalLovebird likes this.
  17. billgrigsby24

billgrigsby24
    Beaverton, Or

Try the Kimber Micro or Micro 9. I have the micro 9 and its a tad small for my hands but I'm a dude. It'll probably fit her's fine. I also had a Sig P238 I regret getting rid of, my wife liked it too.