JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been looking and researching what would be best for my wife. We've been to a few gun stores (well, just one really). The little lady had a hard time racking the slide on most of them. I hadn't considered a revolver until today. We looked at a Ruger 9mm revolver at the shop and though we'd look into it further. A few days ago one of you said I should go to "The Place to Shoot" in PDX and rent a few guns. I took that advice and made the 100 mile trip. The wife got some great basic instruction from one of the instructors. We rented a Ruger 2" 38 special revolver and a Glock 19. My wife shot the Ruger just 2 times and hated it. Way too much recoil and blast. The Glock was next. I loved it. The wife liked it way more than the Ruger but still wasn't comfortable with it. The time at the range cost me $88 but we learned a few things. First, I HATE indoor ranges. Second, none of these guns would work for her. After giving this more thought I think I'll put her behind a .22 auto pistol and see how she does. I have a couple of Colt Woodsman autos around here for a start. If she likes shooting those ill buy her a new Ruger SR22 or 10/45. Threaded barrel would be a plus.
I'd love to find an experienced female instructor, I think It'd made this process easier. So there you have it.

Good on you for spending the time and money and letting her 'drive', as it were. The SR22 is a sweet little gun and it fits really well in my own small hands. Same as a Walther P22. I prefer the look of the Ruger Mark series but the other two have a nice tiny grip.

Thanks for the update and good luck!

We attended Shaun Curtain's concealed carry class today. I have a WA permit but wanted to add a few more states. It was a positive experience for both of us. I stayed late and talked to Shaun about finding a gun for Diane. He suggested the Ruger LC380. So, the plan is to shoot the .22's a bunch over the next few weeks and if she warms up to it we might look at a LC380.

My advice: spring for a day-trip out West to either Threat Dynamics in Sherwood, or SafeFire in Camas. Both have a great selection of rentals, are modern and safe, and are rated 5-stars in Yelp. At SafeFire, we paid for two rentals and then could swap them out when we wanted to try others.

It'll cost, say, $120 for the two of you, but she can try out a dozen guns, and you can video record her shooting and talking about how they feel. It's great to go back and watch the recoil (.380 is snappy!) and what someone's impressions are as they're using a gun.

(By the way, those links are to a new independent app we're making which lists guns for rent.)

Last Edited:
I second the 1911 in 9mm. I've had good luck with Rock Island 1911s lately. Blowback operated .380s tend feel more brisk and more like .38 specials out of a lightweight stubby.

One of the nicest/lightest shooting and accurate guns I've shot recently was a friends Ruger Single Six in .327 Federal but loaded .32 colts and .32 H&R magnum. Single action isn't for everyone however.

Last Edited:
I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?
We have a couple of Beretta Bobcats and only use CCI mini mags for ammo. Haven't ever had any issues.

A little update. Even though my wife went through the concealed class things just aren't clicking. I'm afraid she's one that won't ever carry. I'm thinking of buying a SR22 for casual shooting and calling that good. If I can find an all woman class that's convenient we might go for it. You can't make someone to like something and this is a good example of that. A 22 is the most I could ever get her to shoot.

You are absolutely right. If she doesn't want to and isn't comfortable doing so, that is her decision in the end. We are all different and it's good to remember to respect another's viewpoint, even when it doesn't mesh with ours or our desires for that individual. Good choice all the way around.

Or a good size revolver in .357 and load it with .38sp and it's a pea shooter on recoil but very capable. Way more then a .380.

My .38 special was way more intimidating, both noise and recoil, than my 9mm semi-auto. Plus I am a fan of it holding more rounds. Just my 2cents.

Also, I went to a couple of all women's classes, taught by female instructors. It really is a benefit to many women. Good luck. Also, I did go to an indoor range and shot several .380s, 9mm and a .40 before I decided what I wanted to purchase. I recommend that for everyone, male or female. If you don't feel comfortable with the tool, you won't use it or practice with it.

My .38 special was way more intimidating, both noise and recoil, than my 9mm semi-auto. Plus I am a fan of it holding more rounds. Just my 2cents.

Try a .357mag loaded with .38spls and it probably won't be nearly as intimidating.

True it's fewer rounds but your left with a big hunk of club;).

I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?

Try a .357mag loaded with .38spls and it probably won't be nearly as intimidating.

True it's fewer rounds but your left with a big hunk of club;).

Too late. I'm in love with my glock. Easy to break down and clean, holds 7 or 16 rounds, depending on which one I grab. And I can even possibly hold 34 rounds, for when the zombies show up. :D They are also easier to conceal and lighter than a .357.

Its great that we have so many choices, however. Everyone has different ideas of what features are important and can choose based off of that. Size of the hole is less important to me than how many holes I can make and how comfortable I am carrying it. Easy to clean is also important, which makes the revolver have an advantage, but the glock is very easy also, compared to other semi-autos I have had to clean.

If in reality all it will be for is range trips and home defense as you stated then get her the largest polymer framed pistol you can find. Glock, MP, or XD in 9mm that she feels comfortable holding. I would also slap a flashlight onto the pistol purely as that is going to add a little weight out at the muzzle which can help to dampen recoil.

Another thing I would suggest which might save you some money on a trip to the ranges is look up nwsde.com and check their calendar they regularly (I think around once a month) offer ladies only pistol classes I believe the price is $50 for these. They have a high instructor to student ratio and bring a large selection of firearms for shooters to try.

Funny thing ... the thread title is "A question for you ladies." It took 16 replies to finally hear from a female shooter!

LISTEN TO THE LADIES!

I tried to "help" my wife choose her pistol. Made some mistakes. Cost me some $$ I would have been better off spending on RENTALS!

SHE finally dose the one SHE wanted, and never looked back.

Hi there,
I just joined this forum and wanted to pass along that I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson shield 9mm that fit great in my hand and is easy to shoot. As a timid shooter myself this gun isn't to bad for me. The more I shoot it the easier it gets!
Susan

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top