JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi there,
I just joined this forum and wanted to pass along that I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson shield 9mm that fit great in my hand and is easy to shoot. As a timid shooter myself this gun isn't to bad for me. The more I shoot it the easier it gets!
Susan
Great Choice, Congrats! Also, Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you with us!
Please feel free to share, and ask all the questions you like. We were all neubies at one time! :):):)

Thanks! I'm getting more into it all the time however I am having a difficult time finding outdoor spots to go and shoot. I live in Portland and would like to find somewhere within an hour from home. I don't mind a range but sometimes a gravel pit can be pretty fun! or to be able to even just set up cans or clay spots. The only place I really know of is the Memaloose gravel pit in Estacada and it gets pretty crowded....any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the outdoor shooting area section. There are a lot of good places to go. Most of them you want to get there early for a good spot.

I would post a link to that thread but I can't on my phone. :confused:

Welcome aboard Susan, you already found the key to proficiency... Practice, practice and when you think your really good, more practice...

Shields are a real good choice for concealed carry, the addition of a laser and/or night sights only makes 'em better!

Lol thank you! And I love your picture! I'm going to get my concealed permit soon! That's the main reason I got it! I'd like to take a "women's" course on safety and technique. But not opposed to others. Any suggestions appreciated....

Michael at MK Tactical in Hillsboro runs courses during the drier months, as his classes include live fire at an outdoor range.

BeaverCreek Armory in Hillsboro did have woman only classes they ran at one time. Might be worth giving than a call...

My recommendation is to get that CHL in process ASAP, there's new legislation that's about to make it more difficult to meet the requirements for a CHL.

Oh great! Thank you so much for the information. We went to the gravel pit East of the Memaloose bridge to shoot today. LOTS of garbage left there but someone left a whole watermelon and hard boiled Easter eggs we used as targets! Whoo hoo! Great fun!

I know I'm really late to the party here, but one of my favorite short guns is my CZ 75B. It's a 9mm and fires smooth as butter. It's pretty accurate, full sized though - if she likes big purses, it's a carry possible. It's not heavy compared to most of my other short guns. I've got a little Sig P232 that's a .380. It's cute, sexy, and I feel like I could be a geriatric Bond Girl when I carry it, but it's not very accurate, and actually heavier than the CZ. I know when I bring newbies to the range they really like it best.

Welcome aboard Susan, you already found the key to proficiency... Practice, practice and when you think your really good, more practice...

Shields are a real good choice for concealed carry, the addition of a laser and/or night sights only makes 'em better!

I'm a little late too. Like nammac stated, practice a ton. But yes, a laser and/or night sights. I took my laser off my Shield 9mm, just never really cottoned to it. But I really like my night sights, no batteries, nothing mechanical to think about. I'm pretty good at point and shoot but I do like to at least see my front sight in the dark. Mine seems to really like Federal HST 124 grain non+P.

Get a good belt and a good holster and you are set.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your advice! I took a CHL course yesterday and my instructor told me I should get a revolver. In fact he said a Ruger WMR 22mag would be ideal for me. And to get a laser....I can't get another right now but I do like my S&W shield!

A little update. Even though my wife went through the concealed class things just aren't clicking. I'm afraid she's one that won't ever carry. I'm thinking of buying a SR22 for casual shooting and calling that good. If I can find an all woman class that's convenient we might go for it. You can't make someone to like something and this is a good example of that. A 22 is the most I could ever get her to shoot.
Contact @LethalLovebird here on NWFA. He runs all female classes including range time.

I'd like to get something for her to carry but I kind of doubt she ever would. Realistically it'd be for home defense and range time. She is light framed at under 100 pounds. I have a 1911 and revolvers but she needs something petite. I'd love to have her try a carry type 9mm but again, I think it might be too much. 9 mm is the only thing I don't have around here. Bottom line I need to have her try both 380 and 9mm from a small lightweight auto. Glock 42 or SHield maybe.

Try the Kimber Micro or Micro 9. I have the micro 9 and its a tad small for my hands but I'm a dude. It'll probably fit her's fine. I also had a Sig P238 I regret getting rid of, my wife liked it too.

Ok, time for a little update! I bought a .22 conversion for my Sig 229 and took her to the range. It was perfect! Low recoil and low noise. We're taking baby steps here, little at a time. I made this a fun session and focused on target sighting and safety more than anything else. The Sig was a very positive experience for her.

Ok, time for a little update! I bought a .22 conversion for my Sig 229 and took her to the range. It was perfect! Low recoil and low noise. We're taking baby steps here, little at a time. I made this a fun session and focused on target sighting and safety more than anything else. The Sig was a very positive experience for her.

Our "daycare lady" is even smaller than I am. I brought several of mine over to try and her hands were too small for them. She said she loved the Sig they tried at a gun show. I'm glad it was a good experience for her.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top