JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?

Get new springs if the tip up mouse gun is what she want I guess. Personally I am a good shot and have a hard time hitting a barn from 10 feet away.

Go with a 9mm in full steel frame not the polymer guns and re recoil is marginal. 9mm commander 1911 would be perfect for a recoil shy person.

Is this for carry purposes or just days at the range??

I'd like to get something for her to carry but I kind of doubt she ever would. Realistically it'd be for home defense and range time. She is light framed at under 100 pounds. I have a 1911 and revolvers but she needs something petite. I'd love to have her try a carry type 9mm but again, I think it might be too much. 9 mm is the only thing I don't have around here. Bottom line I need to have her try both 380 and 9mm from a small lightweight auto. Glock 42 or SHield maybe.

My wife has two guns, one she bought herself, and one I bought for her.
The first one is a S&W 38 Special 5 shot snubbie. (S&W 642 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips) She bought it for herself after I pointed it out to her.
The other? A Taurus TCP that she said she wanted and I bought for her as an Anniversary gift. (Oh yeah, she got a Ruger 1911, too)
Anyway, she really likes the TCP. You should at least check one out. I had one and liked it, but bumped up to a small 40, instead.

Get new springs if the tip up mouse gun is what she want I guess.

Good idea.

Beyond that, my wife has shot and carried a Beretta 3032 in .32 ACP/7.65mm Br., which is similar in design, for years and likes it a lot. We've long since upgraded to a 9x19mm Walther for her, but the lil' mouse gun still gets carried at times. So just a thought for a similar sized pistola with a tip-up barrel. Cheers.

I second the Bersa (prefer the concealed carry)

But if she wants a 22lr, get her to try a Browning 1911-22, an almost exact copy of a 1911, but at 80% the size. Maybe try the Black Label version (extended beavertail) would be to her liking (less chance for her getting hammer/slide bit). It's very light, easy to rack, nice small grips.....and good looking (it's a 1911 for gosh sakes!).

I found my Wife likes her .45, but there are times when this just isn't practical for her, so she swiped ( like she usually does with a gun of MINE she likes) my Beretta Cougar 9 mm! SHe likes it much more then her Shield too!

Another vote for the Glock 42. I pocket carry one for mild weather carry, and my wife shoots it quite well. She doesn't like the recoil of my G19 though.

Are there any ranges near you where she can rent different firearms? That would be a great way for her to try some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. With that said my wife liked my Walther PPQ but thought it was to big. So one of these days I am going to take her to safe fire in camas to rent some before I purchase one for her specifically.

Male here. But I recently went through the process of helping my sweetheart select and acquire a pistol of her own.

She's shot my pistols before, and we were fortunate to spend a relaxed morning at an empty indoor range with some of mine and a few my buddy brought too. She had several sizes and flavors to consider with no pushing from either of us.

She HATED my EDC, a snappy little shrouded hammer revolver with a tiny grip - admittedly for some of the very reasons that I like it. The important thing is she's trained and capable with it in an emergency.

She decided on a 9mm Shield for the moderate recoil, which seemed even less than a slightly smaller .380. Easy slide racking in girl hands, relative conceal-ability, and the variety/availability of cheap ammo made it (in her opinion - not just mine) a no-brainer. She's pretty damn good with it, too.

I have a large assortment of handguns she is welcome to come try out.
I know it's a bit of a shlep from The Dalles, but might be worth it rather
than making a mistake by purchasing the wrong gun.
Send me a PM if you will be coming into town and we can hook up.

My wife settled on a 2".38 and/or an AR, depending on the situation...

I'd recommend that you get as many different favors into her hands to evaluated and practice. Then you'll be able to make a choice that she's comfortable with and can shoot well... That's what's most important after all...

I agree with the previous reply. Go to a range and rent as many guns as she'd like to try until she finds the one she really likes. Try to assure her to toss all preconceived ideas aside and be open minded about it. Choosing a firearm for yourself is very personal and what works for someone else, may be all wrong for another. Just encourage her there is no hurry to choose and the final decision is hers.

With that said, I myself did all the above and came away with a Smith & Wesson 9mm Shield. I am not shy of recoil in the least, and am quite happy shooting a .40 or a .45 but didn't feel the need for large caliber in a smaller firearm.

Good luck to her on the search for the perfect pistol companion.

Sir, 'UP' to a .380? Confunglement here. Don't you mean 'down'? Anyhow, ANY .380 - being a blowback design - is going to be a RPITA for MOST females to actually cock. Also, from personal experience - mrs tac shooting my Walther PP in 9mmK - them little pistols do have a measurable recoil, and can be painish to the top of the hand. mrs tac liked both my Steyr GB - a kind gas-op 9mmP, and my HK P9 with its Stecke lock retarded blowback, also in 9mmP. Both will be hard to find, but worth it, I reckon. Both recoil like a moderate .38Spec, BTW.

I was very lucky with mrs tac, who ignored recoil, especially when shooting her 4" bbl Model 29.

tac

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads