JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's great that it's OK with your wife. I was just out there today, in a relatively warm, ventilated, lighted room, shooting .22s with my son who's home from college. We have, in the past, gone out into the woods and shot. However, with icy roads, snow above 1800 feet where we shoot, and high gas prices, I figure that I easily paid for a good chunk of my membership fees just today by not dealing with that. The real question you need to answer is this: will it be enough for YOU? For MYSELF, it easily and absolutely is.

I thinks it's OK to ask for a discount, Heck, 20 min ago, I canceled an online order for nearly $400 worth of balsamic vinager when the web site didn't take my 5% code. Now I figure I'll wait until I an get a larger discount. I can understand that it's not about the money. However, I have not seen a discount offered at Tri-country, and they embrace the idea that this is the members place. So if one can weasel out of this or that, that burden essentially becomes on of our brothers: so that kind of thing is not really suited for this place.

What I'd recommend is to see if you can find out when the next orientation day is, or see if you can just show up and check the place out with no obligation. I will say that orientation day may be a poor way to do it o show up with 40 other new folks and listen to a bunch of non-germaine things: better to find a member willing to show you around: much faster. See if you are interested, but remember, it's a club, not a business that is designed to maximize it's profits off you, and that everyone is in it together. You might start by checking out the web site if you haven't: http://www.tcgc.org/. They have some pretty good organized shoots if you are interested, you can see on this months calender: <broken link removed> .

I love the place, and I don't personally wish to be spreading lead, mercury, and other toxins around in the pristine wilderness I normally habituate to hike and climb in just for target practice.

Good luck: hope you join, the place needs members to stay open and running.

Thank you. I haven't been a member at a gun club before (just a guest at a couple) so this is new to me. I appreciate you giving your perspective on the club and all the information you provided. I will definitely take it into consideration as I make my decision.

FWIW, TCGC is a a 501(c)(7) ("social/recreation club") non-profit organization. You can view its tax forms online at www.guidestar.org (registration required). None of the officers, managers, or board members are paid a penny.

That's good to know, thanks. It definitely changes my opinion on the joining fee. Are most/all gun clubs non-profit? I think potential members would like to know this but maybe it's just common knowledge.

That's good to know, thanks. It definitely changes my opinion on the joining fee. Are most/all gun clubs non-profit? I think potential members would like to know this but maybe it's just common knowledge.

I suspect that they are. The for-profit ranges around here seem to be associated either with a gun shop or professional training institute.

I was just out there today, in a relatively warm, ventilated, lighted room, shooting .22s with my son who's home from college.

I've been taking my kid (also home from college) out to TCGC's indoor .22 range as well. Nice thing is that the whole place is card-key access and the indoor range is open 24/7. We've had the place to ourselves as often as not.

It wasn't clear to me when I was joining up, but the initiation is one fee per household, so if you're signing additional family members, it's not as expensive as you might have thought.

I also agree that the sign-up/orientation session isn't the best way to see the place. You'll get a better impression of what it's like if you can tag along with a member for a tour.

I only have so many Monday mornings off from work in a year, but was out there last week and will be there tomorrow, barring unforeseen circumstances, to kick in my volunteer effort.

MrB

I also agree that the sign-up/orientation session isn't the best way to see the place. You'll get a better impression of what it's like if you can tag along with a member for a tour.

You can also call/write the club via their website (tcgc.org) and request for a tour. One of the R.O.s will generally take you around to all the ranges.

The only thing that bothers me about TCGC is that its not too casual-friendly. I would probably only use it a few times a year, and that is not worth all the fees and loop jumping to become a member IMO.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'casual-friendly,' but if you mean the members at the range aren't friendly, I've had exactly the opposite experience. On almost every trip to the range, I've engaged in friendly conversations with other shooters, who are quick to answer questions regarding their arms, ammo, techniques, etc., etc. One fellow shooter gave me the correct chamber flag for my rifle to replace my custom one, and another gave me some of his targets, when I found I had brought the wrong ones...very typical behavior there. It has been my habit to carry my rifles muzzles down...a no, no at TCGC (they have special roofs over the covered ranges, which capture bullets without ricochets)...and three times I'm been corrected by range officers or other shooters, in the friendliest way.

The range rules are strictly enforced, but I've never heard a harsh word from anyone at the range (except for yelling at the apparently deaf squirrels, who tend to wander out on the range, stopping all shooting until they are gone...another rule).:)

Max

I have no doubt on the friendliness of the members, as i've heard its a really nice bunch. By casual-friendly, I mean the whole organization being set up to facilitate a casual shooter like myself. Everything i've heard makes me think the whole thing is geared toward more hardcore shooters. It feels like once you get your membership you have to dedicate time and effort to staying a member.

I also dont like the mandatory NRA membership requirement. Think what you will but I dont like that I have to join a political activist group to become a member of a club.

I just want a club that provides a place to shoot when I feel like shooting. Simple common sense rules, no obligations or guilt trips for not helping out, just pay and shoot.

I have no doubt on the friendliness of the members, as i've heard its a really nice bunch. By casual-friendly, I mean the whole organization being set up to facilitate a casual shooter like myself. Everything i've heard makes me think the whole thing is geared toward more hardcore shooters. It feels like once you get your membership you have to dedicate time and effort to staying a member.

I also dont like the mandatory NRA membership requirement. Think what you will but I dont like that I have to join a political activist group to become a member of a club.

I just want a club that provides a place to shoot when I feel like shooting. Simple common sense rules, no obligations or guilt trips for not helping out, just pay and shoot.

1) There is no guilt trip. You can substitute money for that (i.e. if you help the club out you get a discount on your membership).

2) You can drive into the range, wave your ID card at the 2 readers, drive out the to range, setup your target stand, and go. The only thing mandatory is following the safety rules.

3) The NRA, well...it's the club rules. You are required to sign up for at least 1 year when you are a new member.

4) While I'm sure they appreciate the help, there are over 2000 members of TCGC. Most assuredly they do not "dedicated time and effort in order to stay a member". You could not go to the range once, and then when dues roll around, you pay, and stay a member.

For the casual shooter, it's pretty easy. They even have nice cheap targets, provide target stands, covered shooting positions, and a couple of ranges that never close for competition.

That said, if TCGC isn't your bag, there are other smaller ranges around the area.

I have no doubt on the friendliness of the members, as i've heard its a really nice bunch. By casual-friendly, I mean the whole organization being set up to facilitate a casual shooter like myself.
I'm guessing the formality is tied to safety and liability. If you're a member, you've been shown the safety DVDs and likely been through the rules and orientation session. (And I think I read on the website a day ago that the orientation is now required. Was optional when I joined a couple months ago.) As a member, you sign that you've read the range rules and understand them. As a guest, your member-host says they will make sure you follow the rules. So when you're challenged with "Hey, where's your chamber flag?" "Huh?" isn't a good answer. You're supposed to know they're required and where to get them. ($1/ea in the clubhouse.)
Everything i've heard makes me think the whole thing is geared toward more hardcore shooters. It feels like once you get your membership you have to dedicate time and effort to staying a member.
If you don't want to do the volunteer sessions...don't. Pay your annual dues, let your NRA membership drop after year-one. (And in truth, (shhh) they took my word for it that I'd just joined but didn't have a member-number yet. (True.)) They give you a key to the place so come as often or as seldom as you want. As long as you think you're getting value for your dues, re-up.
I thought the vol opportunities were kept pretty low-key. And if what I've seen in my last two Mondays of helping out are any indication, 2-3% of members actually ever do a session, so if you don't, it's not like you're going to stand out. Be like the other 97% -- pay your dues and come shoot. I did the vol sessions not to save the $ but because that's just the sort of guy I am. I took it as an opportunity to network a little and 'pay it forward' on the wear-n-tear I inflict on the targets, etc.

MrB

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies to my post. That kinda cleared a few things up.

One thing i always worried about joining though - can i show up any day and have a place to shoot whatever it may be that I brought? (pistol, centerfire rifle, shotgun) and not be worried about ranges being closed? I'd hate to drive out there only to find out the only range open at the moment was for rimfire only because of events taking over the other ranges.

If there is a match at the pistol range, action range, 22lr indoor range etc. then that range is closed to members until the match is over. Also the range will for maintenance. Check the calendar especially on the weekend. I been burned before where the pistol range and action range was closed for matches and I didn't bring a 22lr, so no shoot for that day.

If there is a match at the pistol range, action range, 22lr indoor range etc. then that range is closed to members until the match is over. Also the range will for maintenance. Check the calendar especially on the weekend. I been burned before where the pistol range and action range was closed for matches and I didn't bring a 22lr, so no shoot for that day.

Sort of. Some of the ranges and matches allow you to shoot in an unused bay/lane provided you still follow the rules (called cease fires, etc.).

The calendar is here: <broken link removed>

Of note, the 50-100 yard rifle range never closes for a match.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies to my post. That kinda cleared a few things up.

One thing i always worried about joining though - can i show up any day and have a place to shoot whatever it may be that I brought? (pistol, centerfire rifle, shotgun) and not be worried about ranges being closed? I'd hate to drive out there only to find out the only range open at the moment was for rimfire only because of events taking over the other ranges.

You obviously have a computer, so it's easy enough to bookmark the club's website and check for range closures before heading out. Also, every member gets a newsletter the first of each month, listing most, if not all, of the events that close down a range. Me, I'm too lazy to check first, but can go to several different ranges with the weapons I always have. At the very least, I'd drop by the pistol/.22 rifle outdoor range and bust a few caps there. But that has never been a problem, so far, since there are so many ranges.

Max

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top