JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I want to carry IWB, but when I tried it, I couldn't fasten my pants. I have a Kimber SIS Custom (5 in barrel) and a cheap Ace brand IWB holster I got off CTD. My question is, do I need to be carrying a smaller pistol (I actually plan on this, the Kimber's a little too big IMO), a better holster, or do I need to start buying pants 2 inches larger than I need (I really don't wanna do this...may go with another carry option), or some combination of the above? Thanks.

I carry IWB with the <broken link removed> from Comp-Tac. My actual waist is 33" which is a somewhat difficult pant size to find so I've always purchased 34" waists. Now that I carry the 34" are a perfect fit and the 33" pants I've had a bit snug when I'm carrying. Sometimes I just unbutton my pants and adjust my belt so I'm comfortable. My shirt hangs over the undone button and no one's any the wiser. Maybe that was more info than people wanted to know:s0131:

I'm in the bigger pants camp. I've always bought bigger pants than I need to so it wasn't really a change but IWB wouldn't work if I had correctly sized pants. Learn to enjoy a relaxed waistband. :s0112:

I pick my wardrobe, the type of carry and the holster to fit the gun. If I want to carry a specific gun, it is for a specific reason (i.e. more magazine capacity, more concealable, better takedown, more accurate, ect. ect.). If you want to carry IWB, the sad fact is is that you are going to have to get bigger pants....and usually bigger shirts as well (unless you get some sort of tuckable holster).

If you are that concerned about pants, I would suggest OWB carry options. They do make holsters that keep the pistol close to your body, but are still OWB (so you can keep your favorite pants).

A nice, close-to-the-body holster that I like to wear at times is the BeltPal. However, Galco makes some good OWB holsters that are close-to-the-body as well, that should suit your needs just fine.
beltpal_2.jpg
BeltPal

Galco Combat

Nevertheless, since it is getting warmer I would suggest IWB...but that's just me.

The fact of the matter is, is that you are probably going to have a big ol' box of holsters that you spent hundreds of dollars on before you wore the crap out of one.

(random picture of holsters)

To this day I have holsters I don't even hardly wear, but I will never get rid of...sometimes you just never know when you will need a good shoulder holster or leg-drop holster than can take a fullsized 1911 with a flashlight attachment....or maybe that's just me.

Anyhoot- when you pick a gun, I always tell people that you have to pick the firearm that is best for YOU and YOUR NEEDS. If it fits your hand, and your budget, then that is the gun for you. Now that you have found a gun that you like and fits the way you shoot, you should cater to that gun in every way (to include changing your wardrobe).

That's my 2 cents on the matter....hope it helps.

The belt I use is a typical 1.25" leather belt from Freddies. I think with IWB a $20 belt is just fine. I know if I were to carry OWB I would need to upgrade to a much sturdier belt.

Agreed.

I was having issues with my pants falling down and the muzzle digging into my hip. So I asked around on the internet and I bought into the hype that a good belt is the end all of good carrying. So I got a 1-1/2 double layered leather with a kydex reinforcement in between the plies.

Long story short, the belt did absolutely nothing to assist me in my quest to find a suitable method of carry. For me, it was a complete waste of time and money. I solved my sag problem by wearing suspenders in between the two shirts that I wear, so then cannot be seen.

To answer the OP's question. Like eriknemily said, I am really a 33" waist, but always wear 34's because they are more comfortable. So, I already had an inch to spare in the waist. With my small carry pieces, 1" is perfect. With a larger gun, I could easily see an extra 2" being necessary.

I hear you. I had a problem with IWB carry comfort for years. Tried many different holsters as well as different guns. I finaly found what works for me. I carry a HK45c. Not a huge gun, but not small either.

A good gun belt. I went with a Ted Blocker belt, 1 1/2", as they are one mile from my house and I could visit the showroom and check em out.

Yes, you need to buy pants a little larger in the waist. I found that with jeans, I could go with a larger waist size and slim fit and it did not make me look like I was wearing 'baggy pants'. I am too old for that look.

Now for the most important. The holster. You will get lot's of posts saying I like what I have. But I went with a Milt Sparks VMII as I never saw a post saying anything but good about them. It proved true. This is the most comfortable IWB I have found so far. There is a six month wait for one. I picked up a OWB from Ted Blocker to hold me over during the wait. And I still use that one also.

I also learned that you have to wear it frequently to become accustomed to the feel of wearing an IBW holster, no matter which one you buy.

So, larger waist pants, a good belt, and a good holster.

I'm kinda like the 33-34 guy but 31-32. I buy 32's and usually have a little room (seasonal lol). I use an MTAC also and while a sweet IWB solution, my Wilderness Tactical belt is what makes IWB work for me. I was always needing half a hole with regular belts for comfort. As long as you have the room in your pants, this belt will carry the gun nicely, and you can find the sweet spot.

I guess I should add that a Kahr is probably alot easier carry than Gov no matter how you carry...lol

A good belt helps most people I believe. I had sag problems until I bought a good belt, and that fixed it for me. Unfortunately some people have very thin hips, and I don't think any amount of belt will really help that. For me, my pants would sag as my cheap belt stretched and relaxed. Allowing it to slip over my hips. On the other hand, my wife has had two kids so she has a nice set of hips. She can get by with any el cheapo fashionable belt with out a problem. Though she does find a thicker one more comfortable.

With that said, I have never been comfortable with IWB carry. For what ever reason, ballistic nylon makes my skin become itchy and red. Regardless of nylon, I just don't have a whole lot of padding on the hip and I am a long time NSAID user. This means I have a tendency to bruise easy, and every IWB setup I have tried has ended up bruising my hip where the holster sits.

Everyone seems to be a rule unto themselves as far as concealed carry goes. You generally just have to try things out and see what works for you. I went cheap for awhile, trying out different styles of holsters until I found a style that works well for me. I then dropped the money on a good holster of that same style.

+1 on the good belt and holster. I carried for years with a thin belt and finally bought a good carry belt. It makes a significant difference.

+1 also to the bigger pants. (I have worn "normal" size pants and just not buttoned the top before. No, it's not ideal and it's not a long term solution, but it works.)

+1 on the MTAC, which I keep my Glock36 in all day, every day. Pricey at $88 but cheaper than buying and trying lots of useless holsters.

And I agree that a Kydex-lined belt isn't going to solve a fit problem.

I only wear the suspenders when I''m working outside; for civilized carry, the belt is enough.

I'm afraid that I've had to go up a size in pants too, but I can't blame the gun!

I found the MTAC to be too bulky, I returned it and now use the Infidel instead. It's made by the same company.

<broken link removed>

Not only will it not rot with age, I can take it outdoors and it can be soaked for hours and I'll have no problem afterwards. There is no leather, which is what I like about it.

I'm a very athletic physique, and I have had no problems with fit or comfort whatsoever.

The best thing, though, is how quickly it can be removed and reattached. Wonderful for my application.

I found the MTAC to be too bulky, I returned it and now use the Infidel instead. It's made by the same company.

<broken link removed>

Not only will it not rot with age, I can take it outdoors and it can be soaked for hours and I'll have no problem afterwards. There is no leather, which is what I like about it.

I'm a very athletic physique, and I have had no problems with fit or comfort whatsoever.

The best thing, though, is how quickly it can be removed and reattached. Wonderful for my application.

Anybody else out their that either uses a total kydex or hybrid kydex holster find that the kydex eventually wears through your jeans? I'm a carpenter and I carried for a couple of weeks until I noticed that I had wear spots showing at the points where the holster rubbed against my pants the most. I tried solving this in part by covering much of the kydex in <broken link removed> and not carrying while I work which is when I am the most active.

I had wear problems with a Kydex OWB holster. Only wore it for a couple of weeks before I noticed that the pistol could "shift" in the holster and cause it to bind. Also caused, in my opinion, excessive finish wear on the pistol. Kind of ruined me on kydex, I did get another one in a trade with a pistol. So I will try and keep an open mind it give it another shot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top