JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a Glock 19 that I bought about 12 years ago. It's well within the top 10% of product satisfaction from guns purchased over a lifetime. It's been a good, reliable gun, I can shoot it well, and it will shoot anything I put in the magazine, even cast bullet rounds which the factory says you shouldn't do. Round count, unknown, I don't keep a count on guns of this kind. But not massive. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than 1,500. 2,000 tops. Because I have several other 9mm, the work gets spread around.

I've never changed a functional part on this pistol. The question is, what is likely to break or wear out first? What should I keep on hand as a spare replacement part? I look at that plastic recoil spring guide and think that may be a candidate for keeping a spare. I've heard about spring replacements in these pistols. How will I know when the springs are done? One day I'll pull the trigger and nothing will happen?

Advice appreciated.

A couple thousand rounds is nothing. Recoil guide rods should be replaced every 5000 rounds. The trigger spring, the slide lock spring, and the magazine catch spring are also high wear items.

I've got a Glock 19 that I bought about 12 years ago. It's well within the top 10% of product satisfaction from guns purchased over a lifetime. It's been a good, reliable gun, I can shoot it well, and it will shoot anything I put in the magazine, even cast bullet rounds which the factory says you shouldn't do. Round count, unknown, I don't keep a count on guns of this kind. But not massive. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than 1,500. 2,000 tops. Because I have several other 9mm, the work gets spread around.

I've never changed a functional part on this pistol. The question is, what is likely to break or wear out first? What should I keep on hand as a spare replacement part? I look at that plastic recoil spring guide and think that may be a candidate for keeping a spare. I've heard about spring replacements in these pistols. How will I know when the springs are done? One day I'll pull the trigger and nothing will happen?

Advice appreciated.
*Supposedly* its when you point the (empty) muzzle to the sky and pull the slide back fully and release the slide "fwd" (up) SLOWLY and try and get the slide to NOT go into full battery. If it closes fully on its own fighting gravity you are *supposed* to be good.
I kinda have a hard time believing this. Cause some of my glocks run 20 & 22# springs and even then the last 200gn loads i shot still maxed out and dented the frame so i need to go up to 24# next time.

I recommend the Glockstore stainless recoil spring assy. Yeah its $35 but they are nice. AND you can pick your spring weight. ISMI aerospace grade spring. Ive bought glockmeister, lone wolf, vella, glockstore, and maybe one or two others RSA some the rods id say are too thin and the spring "helixes" bulges out the sides in a wave and they sometimes rub on the frame. At least on p80 frames. (Esp the large frames) some RSA's the screw isnt even centered, and then lastly some BARELY have washers that are just about .010" of material holding onto the screw keeper.
Which reminds me Glockstore also has REALLY good thick washers for their RSA and they are cheap a 3pk is $3.50 the GS RSA's meet all these requirements.

Id probably also reccomend the ejector spring and little rubber peice that goes in the back. I think they call it a bearing? They are cheap.
Id probably just go ahead and get one of maybe every spring. They are easy to loose. On average they are about $3.50 each. Pins are about the same.
All the major parts are pretty much NEVER going to fail.

And no im not affiliated with GS to be quite honest that Lenny McGill guy kinda creeps me out and his videos are the most boring info videos ever. Hardly any good relavent fast paced info. *snoozes*

Hope this helps!

Id probably also reccomend the ejector spring and little rubber peice that goes in the back. I think they call it a bearing? They are cheap.
Id probably just go ahead and get one of maybe every spring.

Its called a Spring Loaded Bearing and its polymer not rubber.

Striker springs and spring cups should be on the list.

Honestly, I have a enough parts to rebuild my Glock multiple times over. I have at least a dozen recoil spring assemblies. I never intend to run out of parts, it doesn't matter where the markets.

Honestly, I have a enough parts to rebuild my Glock multiple times over. I have at least a dozen recoil spring assemblies. I never intend to run out of parts, it doesn't matter where the markets.
yeah thanks, that neural pathway had some plaque on it.

OMG.... you just admitted to having a disembodied ghost gun!! :eek:

Participate in a GSSF match. There's usually a Glock Armorer present who will inspect your Glock and replace any worn parts for free, as long as it is still original with no aftermarket garbage.

A couple thousand rounds is nothing. Recoil guide rods should be replaced every 5000 rounds. The trigger spring, the slide lock spring, and the magazine catch spring are also high wear items.
This.

And this.

I've got a Gen 2 17 that I used to compete with and has had 3-4 owners before I got it some 15 years ago. It has seen well over 100k at the least. Only thing I've swapped was the recoil spring to a stainless one. That was after the original started chipping off bits of the front. I imagine the original still functions fine. The slide stop spring could use replacement. Otherwise it is fine.

I'm not really one to buy spare parts. I buy spare pistols. I'd say if you are worried, but an extra 19.

I had almost the same question as posed by the OP about 3 years ago. I did a bunch of research on this. I am not a Glock armorer, but this is the info / strategy I came up with. Thought I would share. YMMV.

For older Glocks with many thousands of rounds - Recoil spring / guide rod is the most likely component needing replacement @ around 5000 rounds - as others have already posted.

Other components have a pretty long life expectancy: striker, striker spring, striker guide, striker spring cups, safety plunger and spring, trigger spring, ejector, ejector rod and spring and spring loaded bearing, mag catch spring bar, slide stop spring. It's more difficult to assign a "typical round count" for replacement of those items.

If you have a lot of rounds on a Glock, like 10K plus, it's pretty simple and not very expensive to replace all of the above parts. Pre-covid prices would bring you in at about $75 for the parts. Although not necessary, $75 and less than an hour of work may be worth it for the peace of mind - especially if your pistol is deployed in some fashion for self-defense.

If you're prepping for a SHTF scenario, buy one complete set of those parts and store them. Very cheap way to make sure your pistol keeps working. If you have multiple Glocks with the same form-factor (e.g., double stack 9mm and 40 S&W) the same parts fit all of those pistols (other than recoil spring / guide rod assemblies for longer versus shorter pistols). Of course, if you have multiple Glocks in the same form factor, you already have spare parts so you can keep at least one pistol running.

FWIW.

Cheers.

Participate in a GSSF match. There's usually a Glock Armorer present who will inspect your Glock and replace any worn parts for free, as long as it is still original with no aftermarket garbage.
I wonder what % of glocks are all original beside LEO side arms? Probably pretty small. Their factory triggers are terrible! Without a doubt 2x worse than the next closest competitor in the worse runner up catergory. I think ive hsd $100 airguns with better triggers. But they do tune up nicely.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll follow my instinct and your advice and get one of those SS recoil spring assy. Yes, I realize 2K rounds is not all that much. Think about my Colt 1911 in 9mm, I test fired that two or three mags full and put it away. To make sure it worked while still under warranty. But then there's the S&W Model 59, that pistol has had many thousands of rounds under my hands, not to mention some unknown quantity before that as I bought it used. It shows it, but still works perfectly, like the Glock, with everything I put in the magazine.

The Glock trigger, I've never fired one with a tuned trigger so I wouldn't know the difference. I'm in the elderly category now, I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands, so I don't like a real light trigger. I seem to do well as is with the stock trigger in my G19. Better than I do with the lighter triggers in my 1911's. As to triggers, the Model 59 mentioned above, those have a kinda queer trigger you've got to get used to.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top