JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a question directed toward TCGC members regarding range rules. I'm a new member but forgot to ask the RSO last time I was out. My questions are:

1. Can I walk away from a gun and leave it on the firing line while the range is hot (for instance to get something out of my range bag on the back shelf)? If yes, can I keep it loaded as long as it's pointed down range or does it need to be unloaded with a chamber flag inserted?

2. When can you pick up brass (in front of the yellow line, but behind the firing line)? When the range is hot (and people are still shooting)? Or when the range is cold?

3. Is it allowed or frowned upon to take the time to cover your bullet holes on targets with tape? Basically how long can you stay at a target before people start to get irritated?

Thanks

1. Not certain what the specific rules say but you should at least drop the mag and clear the chamber- I've seen several unattended guns slide off the benches and hit the ground
2. You can pick up brass behind the firing line when the range is hot...try not to bother your fellow shooters!
Brass pickup in front of the firing line is done when the range is cold and the flag is still out. Request that the flag tender stay at the flag and go forward of the firing line, pick up your brass or set up your chronograph- you cannot handle anything at your bench at this time- basically, grab a broom and sweep your brass back to the firing line and pick it up once the range is hot again...on your time!
3. Be reasonable and respectful of the other shooters. Tape all you want but be reasonable and try not to be "that guy"- the guy that is always the last one back to the line or the guy who thinks it okay to set up a chronograph from scratch during a cold range. My advice is to set up two target carriers- shoot one and replace it with the other and tape the first back at the line when the line is hot, or, post two targets on one carrier, retrieve your shot target and replace it with a fresh one- then tape back at the line when it goes hot. As for chronographs...have it set up and ready to go before the range goes cold.

This is a question directed toward TCGC members regarding range rules. I'm a new member but forgot to ask the RSO last time I was out. My questions are:

1. Can I walk away from a gun and leave it on the firing line while the range is hot (for instance to get something out of my range bag on the back shelf)? If yes, can I keep it loaded as long as it's pointed down range or does it need to be unloaded with a chamber flag inserted?

Thanks

PDXGS answered your other questions with what I would say.

On #1, it depends on who the RSO is that shift. I once got yelled at for "not having a chamber flag inserted at all times." I was tempted to ask the RSO whether the 100 yard line was a gunshow or a gun range, because shooting my rifle with a chamber flag inserted would either not work, or defeat the purpose of the flag. And that was during a hot range, with folks firing on both sides of me. I hadn't walked away either, I just got done with a string and was reloading my magazine (gun was mag-out-bolt-locked-back).

If you're going to have the mag out, action back, you might as well put a flag in.

Another question.

On the 100 and 200/300/600 rifle ranges, where do you put your rifle(s) for safe keeping when you walk down to change targets? In other words, how can you be sure to keep it from being messed with or possibly taken?

@ 600 you stay with your rifle. The other shift stays down in the pit area and changes/marks targets. Then you swap at some point and you run the targets for the shift that is shooting.

@100, and 200/300 you just leave your stuff on the bench. I suppose you could case your stuff up and carry it with you to the targets and back. I've never felt the need to do that and no one has ever touched my gear or rifles without asking me first.

The only thing that came remotely close to that was when some kid was taking pictures of my guns without asking first (just a common courtesy IMO).

I talked to one of the RSO's today about your question of chamber flags and he had a great answer. If you need to walk away during a hot range, you should unload, make safe and chamber your flag. The reason is what if the range goes cold while your gone, others go down range and your equipment is still loaded, now you are putting others in danger. I highly agree with his reasoning and that rule. I know that is not typical, but I have seen a hot gun scenerio before.
Action range you must be qualified. You will have to attend a one day class (40.00) and you will have to shoot one match and show you are safe. I have my cert and if you want to try the range, let me know, you can shoot it with me.

Here's a list from TCGC range rules for the action range.

CARTRIDGES APPROVED FOR SHOOTING IN LONG GUNS:

Centerfire
25 AUTO
32 AUT
32 S&W LONG
327 FEDERAL MAGNUM
32 SHORT COLT
32 H&R MAGNUM
32 S&W
380 AUTO
9mm MAKAROV
9mm LUGER
9x23 WIN.
38 SUPER
357 SIG
38 SPECIAL
38 S&W
357 MAGNUM
40 S&W
10mm AUTO
41 REM. MAGNUM
44 SPECIAL
44 REM. MAGNUM
44-40 WIN.
45 GAP
45 AUTO
45 COLT
45 WIN. MAG.
454 CASULL
460 S&W
480 RUGER
7.62x25 TOKAREV
5.7x28mm
30 CARBINE

Rimfire
17 MACH 2
17 HMR
22 SHORT
22 LONG
22 LR
22 WIN MAG
22 WRF

Hey, speaking of, I have my action range cert but have not been to the range without doing a compition and the range is already set up. So i want to go out and do some practiceing, where do you get the card board and the targets to set up the range. I know where everything else it.

Couple more Action Bays questions.

Which Action Bays are more preferable and why?

What are the rules regarding firearms and ammo (including loading, unloading and field stripping) in the Action Bays in a non-competition practice capacity?

Also, I noticed a sign at the Action Bays. It said "Park between the signs". I saw cars parked between the signs, but then I also saw cars parked in the actual bays. Where are you supposed to park?

Zippy,
Have you been the the Action Range Class? They tell you the rules and in the by laws of the range it also tell the ammo and firearms allowed. Parking is determined what your doing, if you on a range you can pull your car into the front of the bay. I am guessing you have not done the class and if you have not, you must to use the bays. You have to have the action range cert on your badge, no exceptions unless you go with someone who has their cert.

Do the "safety areas" (concrete slab enclosed areas) on the Action Bays only apply to competition or are they to be used at all times? In other words, can I handle a loaded or unloaded firearm outside the safety area in a non-competition setting?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top