Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question for SKS shooters:

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by elsullo, Mar 29, 2010.

1. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Are those rubber SKS bolt-buffers useful or needed? Is the bolt striking the rear of the gun actually an occurrence or a problem? It seems to me that it could only happen if the recoil spring was worn out, but a lot of people buy those rubber buffers. I'd be grateful for your experiences......................elsullo :huh:

2. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

The way i look at it, the SKS was designed without it and the rifle was used and abused all over the world and still functioned fine.

I'm not getting one. My very good condition SKS will probably run fine for a long time without one.

3. Generator

Generator Bend Member

I've heard nothing but bad things with these buffers.

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Exactly!

5. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

don't see a need for it. The only 'thing' I have done for mine is order the spring loaded firing pin.

6. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Problem witht he buffers is when they get worn and little pieces come off inside.... the SKS has not exacting tolerances... but chunks of buffer abot the working parts cant be good for reliability.

7. FrontierFritz

FrontierFritz West foothills of the Cascade Mountains Member

I agree 100%.
    I just wish mine was DDR made instead of CCCP.

8. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I've tried these in a few different platforms, 1911, AK, FAL, and HK-91. All have failed, and broken up, into little pieces. They seem to get brittle from the solvents in clp. I keep my guns cleaned and lubed for storage, and the oil or solvent effects the rubber.
    The problems with the bumpers, outweighs the benfits.

With the SKS, run it straight stock. No buffer, stock 10rd mag, stock wood stock. That's how the VC fought with them, and they always worked.

9. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

Couldn't agree more

10. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

I have had my 52 Russian sks for 14 years this August and have put thousands of rounds through her. I don't see the need. On my ruger 10/22 the buffer is great but I'm sure it is due to the small caliber.

11. txchl33

txchl33 Killeen, TX New Member

I have one in my SA 1911 & SKS. They have been there over a year. They both work fine with no problems. I clean them with soap/water when the rest of the weapon is cleaned. I like them.
    jd

12. Gzus

Gzus portland-ish Member

Not needed and I've heard rumors of them causing feeding problems... That being said I've been using one for years, eliminates that 'clang' of the bolt slamming back

13. willamette valleyfirearms

willamette valleyfirearms hillsboro oregon Member

i have ran mine without one for thousands of rounds as well , no problems or extra wear

14. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

I tried one in my Yugo a few years back. Didn't really feel/notice a difference.

SKS is a rough tough battle rifle, it needs no love to perform at its finest.

15. pdx lefty

pdx lefty portland Active Member

Couldn't agree more. Extra junk floating around moving parts cant be good.

Lefty.

16. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Have fired countless rounds through my SKS without any silly buffer... figure if it needed a buffer, Mr. Simonov would have designed it with one.

17. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

The old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and it's very,very true with the SKS. Save the $10.00 and get some ammo :thumbup: