JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like to use Clay pigeons to shoot at @ distance with my AR and hand guns too. My question is.. silly as it may be...Should i be trying to pick these pieces up after shooting? Many years in the past we always left them @ shooting pits considered them just rocks at that point.

I only ask specifically for wolf creek range. I am trying to be as respectful up there as possible..Love shooting there and ifim causing work for others ill gladly try to pick those larger pieces(if any) up

thanks and keep up good work!!

Modern clay targets are not actually made of clay, rather they are mostly comprised of ground limestone bound together with petroleum pitch. For manufacture of clay targets, industrial blenders mix milled limestone and petroleum resin at high temperature to form a paste, which is then fed into a molding machine that shapes the paste as it is cooled into the final form.

Petroleum pitch targets are cheap, stable flyers and are known for breaking well when hit with only a few pellets from a shotgun. But the pitch targets are somewhat toxic, and ecologically friendly alternatives have been introduced over the years.

"A popular line of targets produced by White Flyer are marketed as biodegradable. 'Bios,' as they're referred to, have a high sulfur content but do not contain petroleum pitch. However, biodegradable target fragments can alter soil pH, thereby affecting vegetation. For this reason, White Flyer recommends a regimen of course management that includes raking of debris and spreading of powdered limestone to normalize soil pH levels in areas of heavy use of sulfur-based, biodegradable targets. Champion brand BioBird targets are marketed as biodegradable and are said to use a 'naturally-occurring forestry product and limestone' (no sulfur) to not affect soil pH."

Modern clay targets are not actually made of clay, rather they are mostly comprised of ground limestone bound together with petroleum pitch. For manufacture of clay targets, industrial blenders mix milled limestone and petroleum resin at high temperature to form a paste, which is then fed into a molding machine that shapes the paste as it is cooled into the final form.

Petroleum pitch targets are cheap, stable flyers and are known for breaking well when hit with only a few pellets from a shotgun. But the pitch targets are somewhat toxic, and ecologically friendly alternatives have been introduced over the years.
thanks,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads