JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello there, I'm new here and was just looking for clarification in disqualifications regarding concealed weapons permit in the state of Idaho. The section in question follows:

"A County Sheriff issues concealed carry permits. The sheriff must issue the permit within ninety days of the filing of an application by a person, over 21, who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law. Disqualified persons include anyone who is:
formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;"

So to be straight forward, I was formally charged for a crime that had a possibility of no more than five years imprisonment. Despite all charges being subsequently dropped/dismissed, with no plea or punishment taking place, anyone in my position would be disqualified for a concealed weapon's permit, correct?

It was not a violent or aggressive crime, rather delivery of marijuana years ago right after high school, though I doubt that matters to the law. Please, no holier than thou responses, I am simply looking for clarification on the law. Thank you for any help and I look forward to the forum.

File for your CCL If it is denied contest it. In your statement on the contest form state there was no trial or conviction. Then again if you've ever had a background check to buy a pistol And didn't run into any problems Then there should not be a problem with the CCW

Despite all charges being subsequently dropped/dismissed, with no plea or punishment taking place, anyone in my position would be disqualified for a concealed weapon's permit, correct?

Incorrect. Charges that are dropped or dismissed are not relevant. Only past CONVICTIONS and CURRENT charges are relevant. You should be good to go.

Hello there, I'm new here and was just looking for clarification in disqualifications regarding concealed weapons permit in the state of Idaho. The section in question follows:

"A County Sheriff issues concealed carry permits. The sheriff must issue the permit within ninety days of the filing of an application by a person, over 21, who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law. Disqualified persons include anyone who is:
formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;"

So to be straight forward, I was formally charged for a crime that had a possibility of no more than five years imprisonment. Despite all charges being subsequently dropped/dismissed, with no plea or punishment taking place, anyone in my position would be disqualified for a concealed weapon's permit, correct?

It was not a violent or aggressive crime, rather delivery of marijuana years ago right after high school, though I doubt that matters to the law. Please, no holier than thou responses, I am simply looking for clarification on the law. Thank you for any help and I look forward to the forum.

This is assuming charges and are under judicial review, not after the charges have been dropped. \\They can charge you with anything, any time, but to have it matter they actually have to convict you "in a court of law"

You do not even have to mention you have been charged in the past...Charges dropped, It never happened (legally)

I agree with the others as well, charges dropped = never happened. If they are anything like the folks I dealt with here in Clark county and across the river in Columbia, they will be happy to answer your questions as well in regards to this matter.

Welcome to NWFA !

Thanks for everyone responding. I appreciate the clarification. After seeing the posts and reading the section over, it seems I shouldn't have any issues since it all was dismissed. I'll file for the permit and not worry too much about it. Thank you all again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top