JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking into getting a 06 FFL in Oregon. Medford OR to be exact. I have property in a light industrial zone. I believe it is actually a limited light industrial zone but I think that has more to do with the amount of traffic you create than anything. I was wondering if anyone has any idea if a light industrial zone would be OK for a 06 FFL?

Ryan

Contact your county/city office for information, they know best about zoning and regulations. Also you will have to look into the storage requirements for powder. You will also want to look into if you are going to pay your ITAR fees or not (you are supposed to).

Contact your county/city office for information, they know best about zoning and regulations. Also you will have to look into the storage requirements for powder. You will also want to look into if you are going to pay your ITAR fees or not (you are supposed to).

I will be calling the city tomorrow. Hoping I can get good info over the phone as I am not gonna be in town for a couple weeks. For storage, I will find out what needs to be done. I just figured that would be one of the easy things cause they will tell me what I need and I will build it or buy it. And at this point I am planning on paying the ITAR fees. However I have heard that you can file for an exemption if you can show that your not selling to military. We will see.

Ryan

Well, looks like I can't do it on my property as is, but they did say that I could re-zone the property and then I could do it. Anybody have experience with this type of thing?

Also, I spoke with the Fire Marshal and he emailed me some info. One of the things I noticed was something about a sprinkler system. Is that pretty standard, or is that just that particular city?

Well, looks like I can't do it on my property as is, but they did say that I could re-zone the property and then I could do it. Anybody have experience with this type of thing?

Also, I spoke with the Fire Marshal and he emailed me some info. One of the things I noticed was something about a sprinkler system. Is that pretty standard, or is that just that particular city?

Well normally a sprinkler isn't required. As far as ammo mfg, some sort of fire suppression is required, but usually an appropriate fire extinguisher works.

Well normally a sprinkler isn't required. As far as ammo mfg, some sort of fire suppression is required, but usually an appropriate fire extinguisher works.

I'll look into it further. It would be nice if I didn't have to put in a sprinkler system, but I could do it I'm sure. At this point I am more worried about the zoning than anything. I have another piece of property that I could use that is outside of city limits so it would fall under county zoning regulations. It is zoned as a Rural Residential by the county so I doubt that it would be good, but never know.

I have never done a re-zoning in Oregon but in Ca, Sonoma/Napa/Marin, it was fairly straightforward you filed the paperwork paid the fees the zoning/planning board did their thing and usually you got the re-zoning you wanted.

What reason were you given as to why you couldn't do this on your property? Did they provide you a development code section prohibiting this type of business :confused:?

What reason were you given as to why you couldn't do this on your property? Did they provide you a development code section prohibiting this type of business :confused:?

I didn't get any specifics. I called and was transfered to someone in the planning department. Asked them if I could do it in the zone I am in, and the lady looked it up and was not sure and said she would call me back. About three hours later she called and said that I would need to be in a general industrial and not a light industrial(which I am in). She said that the property could be re-zoned, and that it is not to difficult to do.. That is really all I know at this point. I was planning on going in to talk with someone in person this week. Is there anything I should ask for?

Spoke with them again, and they did show me the code stating that it is prohibited on my property, but that I can re-zone the property and then I could do it. The other thing going is that I have spoken with the fire marshal and gone back and forth with him via email and he does not seem to be able to give much information. He has sent me some info on storage and transportation of powder and primers, but other than that he has no info. I was under the impression that he would have to sign me off, but he doesn't seem to even know what I would have to do to get signed off.

Spoke with them again, and they did show me the code stating that it is prohibited on my property, but that I can re-zone the property and then I could do it. The other thing going is that I have spoken with the fire marshal and gone back and forth with him via email and he does not seem to be able to give much information. He has sent me some info on storage and transportation of powder and primers, but other than that he has no info. I was under the impression that he would have to sign me off, but he doesn't seem to even know what I would have to do to get signed off.

It is the ATF agent that will inspect the premise, and he will look for a fire suppression device, along with proper storage for powder.

It is the ATF agent that will inspect the premise, and he will look for a fire suppression device, along with proper storage for powder.

PG the ATF has zero to do with his zoning issue.

Looks like your issue falls under "Ordnance Manufacturing" the OP picked the one thing to do in regards to an FFL that is expressly prohibited, Medford Development Code 10.337.348.

I need more info to define if they gave you the straight scoop....you should be looking at the zoning and overlay districts, etc.

The Fire Marshal will be involved at the time of building permits and development review, not befor.

PG the ATF has zero to do with his zoning issue.

Looks like your issue falls under "Ordnance Manufacturing" the OP picked the one thing to do in regards to an FFL that is expressly prohibited Medford Development Code 10.337.348.

I need more info to define if they gave you the straight scoop....you should be looking at the zoning and overlay districts, etc.

The Fire Marshal will be involved at the time of building permits and development review, not befor.

Ah okay, well I was referring to the fact that the ATF does do an inspection of your premise to check for those things, I was forgetting about the zoning issue.

I am planning to manufacture ammo. Looks to me like medford development code 10.337.348 if that is what it falls under, says its permitted in a general industrial zone. When I called the planning department they said that manufacture of small arms ammunition under a certain size like 30mm IIRC would be permitted. I could be wrong, and if I am please point me in the right direction.

Ryan

I am planning to manufacture ammo. Looks to me like medford development code 10.337.348 if that is what it falls under, says its permitted in a general industrial zone. When I called the planning department they said that manufacture of small arms ammunition under a certain size like 30mm IIRC would be permitted. I could be wrong, and if I am please point me in the right direction.

Ryan

What is the current zoning of your property on your tax records? What does the Medford comp plan show for your property...they may be different?

Caution should be taken when looking at a the maps you need to know what you're looking at, some are current and some are future.

Not sure what it is on the tax records because its my dads property, I'll ask him. Not sure what it shows on the maps. I only know what they told me at the planning department when I called them twice about it. I am headed down there today to see it in writing for myself. If all is good then I'll file an application to re zone. I'll let you know what I find out.

Not sure what it is on the tax records because its my dads property, I'll ask him. Not sure what it shows on the maps. I only know what they told me at the planning department when I called them twice about it. I am headed down there today to see it in writing for myself. If all is good then I'll file an application to re zone. I'll let you know what I find out.

Not that easy you don't just file a re-zone application....Get the info on the property and I wouldn't tell the planners too much about the activities on site. Public notice and mailings are required, if they know about your activities there my be opposition just because people may not like what you are doing.

I have already told them on the phone what I will be doing, and they looked it up and read the code and info back to me that it would be alright on two seperate occasions. I will keep a tight lip on it then from here on out. I am not sure what info goes on the aplication, but they did tell me that even if people object it most likely will not stop the property from being re zone. Sounds like if it is OK to re zone, and you pay them, they are gonna do it. Also, they said a few of the surrounding properties are already general industrial so it would be pretty difficult for them to object to me doing it.

I have already told them on the phone what I will be doing, and they looked it up and read the code and info back to me that it would be alright on two seperate occasions. I will keep a tight lip on it then from here on out. I am not sure what info goes on the aplication, but they did tell me that even if people object it most likely will not stop the property from being re zone. Sounds like if it is OK to re zone, and you pay them, they are gonna do it. Also, they said a few of the surrounding properties are already general industrial so it would be pretty difficult for them to object to me doing it.

Sounds like the comp plan shows this property to be General Industrial, if it does it is a formality on the zone change. But there still is a bunch of BS that needs to be done. Hope it goes well for you, good luck :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top