JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This might have been brought up before, but I couldn't find an exact thread about it.
A friend in Washington got pulled over in her new car because she didn't turn her lights on at dusk, silly her, the new car didn't have automatic on lights.
Her boyfriend has a CPL, and had locked his handgun in the glove box, I don't know if it was loaded or not. Boyfriend was not in the car, just my friend and her mother.
Mother to be helpful, asked if the insurance info was in the glove box, my friend quickly said no, it is NOT IN THERE, knowing handgun was locked in glove box, and found insurance and proof of reg. in console.
What are the laws regarding this, IF the LEO asked friend to open glove box??
What could happen to friend? I'm pretty sure if boy friend was IN the car, had a CPL, that he is legal to have the handgun in glove box, but if not in the car what are the ramifications to friend not having a CPL if handgun is in car glove box??

As I've understood in the past,it's '
within reach',and guns and ammo cannot be transported with both the gun and ammo . 'within reach' without CPL.
With the wrong cop,this could have gotten real nasty.

if she didn't have a cpl she be in deep doo doo. and if mother had oped the glove box she be more than likely facing the end of the barrel. As far as they leo if he's got probable cause to search if there was else what involved such as strong order.

Now with the boyfriend there she's all good.

IN all just tell her to go get her cpl, and for the sake of all of us tell him not to lock it in the damn glove box and not be there. Just too damn easy to steal

Have them go read this and there are more info out there.
http://handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

I would suggest getting a locking safe that has a cable to go around the seat post. You never know when and where you might need to leave your gun. If it's locked away it wouldn't matter if he's there or not. I had to get one because I can't carry at school and it's come in handy a number of times. One case, before I had my Oregon license and I had to run down to Fisherman's in Delta Park. They aren't expensive at all, but keeps you legal and helps keep your gun YOURS. A buddy of mine was in the habit of just tossing his under the seat of his car and one day after only minutes away, his window was smashed and his gun was gone.

I would suggest getting a locking safe that has a cable to go around the seat post. You never know when and where you might need to leave your gun. If it's locked away it wouldn't matter if he's there or not. I had to get one because I can't carry at school and it's come in handy a number of times. One case, before I had my Oregon license and I had to run down to Fisherman's in Delta Park. They aren't expensive at all, but keeps you legal and helps keep your gun YOURS. A buddy of mine was in the habit of just tossing his under the seat of his car and one day after only minutes away, his window was smashed and his gun was gone.

As long as it's unloaded.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Taken from http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

That section doesn't seem to mention that the car must be parked and not under someone else's control. I'm not advocating any experiments along those lines, just noting how difficult it is to write a law that means what you want it to mean. It's probably why some laws contain a phrase like "None of the above shall be construed to mean..."

... and had locked his handgun in the glove box...
Hmm. Why?
Sounds like something is missing from this story. Was the gun left there deliberately or due to circumstances and bad timing?

Whenever a situation doesn't make sense, it's my experience that some information is missing or inaccurate about the tale.

Thanks to all for the responses and comments.
As to the tale, I called my friend, who, not that it makes any difference, I've been best friends with since we were in 7th. grade or so, that would be about 1970 or so, and who is the father of the driver in question and we were talking, last night, to verify when said daughter was getting married to her long-time boyfriend.
Boyfriend is the one with the CPL.
My best friend related as how his daughter got stopped, along with his wife, and what happened.
Now, I have no idea WHY the boyfriend left the gun in the glove box, for all I know, he was in his recliner, drinking beer and watching NASCAR, and the girlfriend and mother jumped into the new car to make a Dorito run, and he "forgot" the handgun was in the glove box.
My friends daughter has been around firearms her whole life, and her father is one of the safest, firearms savvy folks I know.
I'll also wager that he was pretty Pi$$ed off about what happened too, and has made his feelings known to future son in law .
As far as I know the handgun was locked in the glove box on purpose, reasons unknown.
Ill advised, yes, irresponsible, yes, pretty stupid, yes, for reasons others have listed.
I don't know this guy, have never spoken to him, and will meet him for the first time at the wedding.
I WILL however, relate much of the info gained in your posts to my friend, and WILL
tell my friend to tell his daughter to get her CPL, and WILL also tell him to tell future son in law that he "messed up."* *Not the words I'll use, there will be many more...
Thanks all!

I live in Or. and have my CHL. I often find myself driving on Wa. Hwy 14 if I have bus. near Jantzen Beach. Much faster than traveling on my side of the river.

So if, when in Wa, I unload my weapon, and lock it in My glove box, is it OK to keep the ammo in my pocket? or if not, where? This time of year I mostly carry a small revolver, so no magazine.

I know I should bone up on Wa firearms law, but....

I live in Or. and have my CHL. I often find myself driving on Wa. Hwy 14 if I have bus. near Jantzen Beach. Much faster than traveling on my side of the river.

So if, when in Wa, I unload my weapon, and lock it in My glove box, is it OK to keep the ammo in my pocket? or if not, where? This time of year I mostly carry a small revolver, so no magazine.

Next time you're up near Jantzen Beach just pop over the river into Vancouver to the Clark County Seriff's Office and apply for your WA CPL, then you don't have to worry about it. The process is painless and takes very little time. Last time I was in there you didn't need an appointment.

As far as i know you just can't have them within reach.

In WA an unloaded firearm does not have to be locked away and can be on the seat next to someone concealed or in view and the ammunition or loaded mag can be next to it if you want. There seems to be no restrictions on an unloaded firearm in a vehicle.

Note the HIGHLIGHTED section. . . .

It would appear that glove box carry of a loaded pistol is illegal in WA State, even if a CCW holder is in the vehicle. Note Part (i) and Part (ii) are joined qualifiers, not individual qualifiers.

As I've understood in the past,it's '
within reach',and guns and ammo cannot be transported with both the gun and ammo . 'within reach' without CPL.
With the wrong cop,this could have gotten real nasty.

NO - the issue is the CPL holder was not in the vehicle. There is no "within reach" caveat in Chpt. 9.41 RCW, with or without CPL holder. Also, there is no language regarding transport of gun and ammo.

Read Chpt 9.41 RCW. It will clear up a lot of confusion.

DING! DING! DING! - winner winner, chicken dinner!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top