JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Norinco model 320 Uzi, copy version of IMI Model B Uzi. I have 16" barrel and the original wooden stock. I would like to remove the wood stock and replace it with IMI collapse stock. I am very sure "if"(big if) I installed the collapse stock it will give the Uzi over all lenght is 25". What is the OAL requirement for rifle in Oregon? I did research in the past, before the sunset, I believed it have to be over 26". Is is right? Any idea I can make my stock longer then 26" so I wont get into trouble :) Thanks, Benny

There is an OR overall length law, but I believe it conforms to federal law and do not believe that the length restrictions differ from federal law.

166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer if the person knowingly possesses any machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer.
(2) Unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is a Class B felony.
(3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person's immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.
(4) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer was registered as required under federal law. [1989 c.839 §13a; 1997 c.749 §8; 1997 c.798 §1]

166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:
(11) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

I re-read the previous posts and noticed something. My understanding of OR law is that, even fully collapsed, the overall length must be greater than 26". A small "exception" would be with a folding stock-which would obviously be shorter when folded in, but would have to comply when the stock was in a usable (or fully opened) position. I am only basing my understanding of the ORS on my reading of the law, not any knowledge of case law surrounding the issue. Interested if anyone knows of any exceptions regarding a collapsible stock that would allow the OAL to be less than 26" at any time.

By Federal law OAL is measured from "extreme ends" ie with stocks open. There are a couple of states that have weird state laws on how they measure length, and OR is NOT one of those.

OAL is not counted on quick detachable stocks. Some Uzi's have a QD stock set up and to use one you would have to have an 18" (IIRC ) to legally meet the 26" OAL.

The other posters are correct about needing to make your gun 922r compliant to legally add a folding stock.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top