JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This morning I tumbled for the first time. It came out sparkling clean and there were no problems except one; all the .38 and .357 cases ended up inside the .45 Colt cases, when I pulled them out along came about a teaspoon of dirty media.
Is the only solution to run 2 batches? or is there some simple answer I'm missing?

Heh, yea don't mix brass at any point. I hate dealing with mixed brass. it's probably my biggest annoyance when dealing with range pickup brass.

There are a few ways to deal with this, there are a few companies out there that make sieves for separating the obvious calibers (.45 colt and .38/.357) would work really well, but it won't seperate .38, .357mag. But those won't cause as many issues when reloading as long as you catch them before the belling stage.

I'll take the other side here. Like the rest have said somewhere along the way you will have to sort. I have no problems mixing small amounts of different calibers as long as they cannot get inside each other, then sort after I'm done. There are times when I don't have enough of any caliber to do by itself so I'll mix them together. This is just me though.

I like to hand inspect all my brass, especially pistol which once the reloading process starts I won't touch again until it becomes a finished round. This allows me to separate all the different sized. My main gripe is 9mm cases getting stuck inside 40 S&W cases. They get real tight sometimes and unlike the .38 inside the .45, there's nothing to grip while separating.

I do mix rifle cases in one batch if I don't have enough of each to run separately. The don't get stuck inside each other.

I use Lyman brass baggies. That way you can do small batches of mixed brass without the problems of them getting mixed up.

Lyman Turbo Tumbler Brass Baggies Package of 12 - MidwayUSA

618687.jpg

The brass bags work well and they last for a long time. I bet the onion bag would work to. Sometimes when the brass nests together only part if the case gets cleaned so I always sort them first - bag as necessary.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top