Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question about tumbling brass?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by taylor, May 11, 2011.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

This morning I tumbled for the first time. It came out sparkling clean and there were no problems except one; all the .38 and .357 cases ended up inside the .45 Colt cases, when I pulled them out along came about a teaspoon of dirty media.
    Is the only solution to run 2 batches? or is there some simple answer I'm missing?

2. k7grc

k7grc Banks, Or Active Member

I don't mix calibers for this reason, and I need to sort at some point.

jer fly and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Abunai

Abunai Puget Sound Area Member

I hate when that happens, so I sort the brass first, store it by caliber, and then tumble as needed. Of course, since I often shoot a variety of guns at the range, sorting can be a pain, so I use sorting baskets that I got from Midway.

4. zdogk9

zdogk9 Pacific County New Member

Mixing brass does not work, you just have to sort it before tumbling. It is way, way easier than trying to sort it after tumbling, as you've found out.

5. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Heh, yea don't mix brass at any point. I hate dealing with mixed brass. it's probably my biggest annoyance when dealing with range pickup brass.

There are a few ways to deal with this, there are a few companies out there that make sieves for separating the obvious calibers (.45 colt and .38/.357) would work really well, but it won't seperate .38, .357mag. But those won't cause as many issues when reloading as long as you catch them before the belling stage.

6. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I'll take the other side here. Like the rest have said somewhere along the way you will have to sort. I have no problems mixing small amounts of different calibers as long as they cannot get inside each other, then sort after I'm done. There are times when I don't have enough of any caliber to do by itself so I'll mix them together. This is just me though.

7. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I like to hand inspect all my brass, especially pistol which once the reloading process starts I won't touch again until it becomes a finished round. This allows me to separate all the different sized. My main gripe is 9mm cases getting stuck inside 40 S&W cases. They get real tight sometimes and unlike the .38 inside the .45, there's nothing to grip while separating.

I do mix rifle cases in one batch if I don't have enough of each to run separately. The don't get stuck inside each other.

8. Browning55

Browning55 Seattle-Everett Area Active Member

Good consensus that mixing brass is not the best way to go - or at least brass where smaller cases end up inside larger ones. That's the best way to go.

9. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

jayleno and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

11. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Maybe if one got some from the 50's. Todays are too flimsy. I just bought some onions at the grocery a couple of weeks ago. The mesh was too large and the fabric too light.

12. driftin

driftin Wilsonville Member

The brass bags work well and they last for a long time. I bet the onion bag would work to. Sometimes when the brass nests together only part if the case gets cleaned so I always sort them first - bag as necessary.