JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the NWFA Members that remember,

Did the federal 1994 legislation:

1) ban the use of hi cap mags,
2) ban import/manufacturer of said mags,
3) ban sale of said mags,
4) ban transfer (barter/trade) of said mags, and/or
5) grand father in already in possesion hi cap mags?

Back in the day, I only had single stacks and never really thought about it (and my attention span is too short to read the original legislation)

Thanks in advance.

It didn't ban the sale of magazines. I was able to acquire magazines holding > 10 rounds at gun shops as well as gun shows and on line, up till 1/1/2001 when SB-23, A California law banning the sale/transfer of "High-capacity (Holding more that 10 rounds, pistol or rifle) went into effect.

2 AND 5 not 2 through 5. There were still a large quantity available at the gunshows, and manufacturers were still making replacement parts so you could rebuild old crapped-out mags with new springs, plates and followers.

It made a lot of people a LOT of money. As the ban went on people were selling mags at amazing prices. There were also a lot of mags made after the ban marked LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY. Have not seen one of those in a while. I had a couple in my box of mags for a long time that I bought after the ban went away and places started selling them to everyone again. Makes me wonder what will happen when they ban the standard mags again if they Grandfather again??

Pre ban AR mags went for $125.
I heard about that for Glock magazines, but never saw it myself, but in the PRK with 2001 rapidly approaching, FN mags that were $5 were suddenly $20+ and $15 M1A mags were going for $50 IF you could find them. It sucked! I strongly recommend getting those "Hicap" mags now, while they're still at normal prices.
No such thing as too many mags in my way of reasoning:s0002:

Pre ban AR mags went for $125.
Not at the WAC shows. If memory serves me, I never paid more than $30 for a used mag with green follower.

People have to remember when something like this (the price mags hit during the "great decade of ban") that price varied at amazing amounts at amazing speed. A lot of it was how many mags were floating around before the ban and how many people wanted them. AR mags had been made by a ton of different vendors and there was piles of them to be had. Some were "told" one kind was far better than another. Then there is the "panic" that follows this kind of stuff. Not to mention depending on memory. A LOT of us did not buy any mags after the price went up because we made sure we had what we needed. Anyone notice ammo lately? The latest ammo thing in only a year old. So as the ban ran on, many gun owners who voted for it by not paying attention did not even see it till years in. Then they would join those screaming lets all panic and often pay any price to get their hands on some. Just as with all panic the only thing that never changes is when it's over most go back to sleep, just like with ammo. :s0092:

I see people paying that for a mag. Just look at the price of primers. I don't have any guns that use those scary mags :rolleyes:. but I have stacks of mags for sale if the going price is $150 a mag
States are way ahead on this. Only when the states do this they do not grandfather. When the Feds do it again it will of course depend on if they again grandfather. If the feds do the grandfather, and do not do a sunset? The price will just climb non stop just like ammo and primers. Remember ammo and primers and such are still being made 24/7. When the Feds cut off the standard capacity mags first thing that will happen is it will take years for a lot of gun owners to even find out it happened. Followed by a lot of blame, who was at fault here, along with panic buying. This is IF, and that is the big IF, the Feds again grandfather. Seeing as so many gun owners pay no attention and or could care less, it's easy to see the Fed's just cutting them off this time.:(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top