JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope this has not been a discussion already, I did a search and found nothing! Question is I have State Farm homeowners insurance and they cover my gun collection up to 5k. As my collection grows I would like to get some more insurance! Does anyone have any recommendations of company's I could use! Thank You Jeff

If you're an NRA member you have a slight bit ($2,500 as I remember) but more is available through their company.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

State Farm has $2,500 for standard firearm coverage, you can purchase up to $5,000 for a few bucks more per year, I don't have a dollar amount, but it wasn't very much. If you're willing to give them serial numbers, they can insure specific firearms. I'm considering doing this on my Colt after the custom job.

"If you're willing to give them serial numbers"
I thought long and hard about this and decided to increase our presonal property limit which our agent said could include my guns. I have a hard time trusting our govt. and in an enviorment where big daddy seems to be collecting all the info on anyone it can find wondered how long it would be before ordering insurance Co's to give up personal info like gun S/N's if they haven't already. Is this not a potential partial back door to registration? The Boy Scouts and my father tought me to be prepared. Where is the line between preparedness and paranoia? I dont know but even though power and corruption existed when I was born this is not the same country (and definately not better), as then, especially since the explosion of the electronic age which has helped to excellerate our loss of liberty. I wish I could once again live in my country and not need to think about this or dwell on liberties lost. Once your house has termites, you may stop them but you'll never make the wood sound, it must be replaced.

I work for an insurance company and we never ask for serial numbers when insuring firearms. If you want to schedule them to get the additional coverage you will need to provide make and model of the firearm. Also check the langauge in your policy to make sure what it says. Some policies only apply the lower gun limit to claims arising out of theft (so the lower limit wouldn't apply to a fire) and some policies will apply to the limit to all causes. Theft however is the main cause of loss to firearms so you would likely still get caught in the lower limit.

I have USAA and they have a Valuable Property Plan that you state the value of the firearms, no S/N required but there will have to be S/N if a claim is made. I state my value at 13k for firearms and it runs me about 225.00 a year. well worth it. I am also covered if they get stolen from my car on the way to the range or on vacation.

Depending on the insurance company, you may need to give up serial numbers, pictures etc. Some companies do not require serial numbers just photos that you can show later. Keep that memory card somewhere other than at your home.

Also check on how they value your gun/s. is it just the firearm/s and you get $5,000 in coverage or does that include the optic that is on it. If the optic is part of the covered value, things add up real quick.

What about vintage (meaning essentially non-replaceable) firearms? I collect ex-military WWII issued weapons.

Look at your policy's valuation clause. Most policies these days pays the replacement cost to buy a like kind replacement. So if you were collecting M1 Garands then they would pay you the cost to buy another one. If the rifle is worth more because it has some story behind it or because it is there are no more like it then I would say you need to talk with your insurance company about getting it scheduled on your policy at an agreed value. That would likely require you to obtain an appraisal of the guns before the insurance company agrees to insure they for an higher amount. It is also going to result in a slightly higher premium because the limit is the agreed value versus other scheduled items where the limit is simply the most that the insurance company will pay in a loss.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top