JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a H&K USP .40 Compact.

When the slide is back due to an empty mag, if i slide a new mag in and slap the bottom of the mag as it goes in, the slide automatically closes, with the new round in the chamber. At first, I thought I was just hitting it hard enough to get the slide release to pop. I have tried this now with empty mags and they do not trigger the automatic closing, no matter how hard the slap.

With a loaded mag, it does not require much of a slap to close it.

Is this a feature of the gun?

edit: also works on Taurus PT145 & HK USP .45 Tactical (brand new, never fired)

I am not familar with this particular gun, but no, in my experience, this should not happen. the slide stop should be refitted or replaced. If this happened to a 1911 it would wear to the point where the slide stop would not hold the slide back after the last shot at all. I'm afraid that may be the case with your pistol also, they are very similar mechanisms that work in the same manner. Call the manufacturer

BTW how hard are you smacking the mags?

That is why I mentioned the other two pistols, a brand new H&K and a PT145. Do you have anything except a 1911 that you could try this on?

Remember, this also only happens when a magazine which has a round in it is inserted, never an empty mag. Empty mags it just stays open.

Yes, this happens with most polymer autos...I've never seen this happen to any 1911 or any Beretta 92FS I've shot so I think it is limited to the polymer lines.

Every S&W M&P, every Glock, every Springfield XD, and every H&K USP I've fired does this...so I doubt there is anything wrong with your gun. The loaded mag simply hits the magazine catch when you slap it in hard enough. Empty mags hold up the mag catch with the follower.

Check the angle of the gun when you are placing your magazine into it. Its very common on Glocks that the slide will go forward after hit hard at an angle. Try to place the magazine straight up into the magazine well and it should stop your problem. If your slide goes forward on your magazine change most times it will pick up the round and be ready to go. As a practice I've always racked the slide again just to be on the safe side. I have had a few times that the round wasn't picked up. Hope this helps :s0155:

I was told that the USP is ment to do this. I can never get mine to do it though, I guess I just don't hit it hard enough.

As for not doing it with an empty mag, look at the slide release while you have an empty mag in there, you'll see the follower pushing up on the mag release (like a previous poster stated).

Yep, seen that video.

Why have the gun checked out? It does not appear to be malfunctioning? I thought that was the general consensus? Also the gun seems fine to me. :)

Have a 2nd Gen Glock 19 and this doesn't happen on it. I actually tried to make it happen right now and was beating the heck out of the bottom of the mag when reinserting it to try and make it happen and nothing. I think it might be just for that gun, possibly looser tolerances on it for the slide release.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top