JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a box of Speer 41 Cal. 180 gr. hollow points, box says for 41 action express....

Question is can I reload for my 41 Mag? I've not been able to find any info. on for reloading in the 41 mag shells......Thanks for your help!

PS If notable to reload for 41 mag, I would sell the bullets for what I paid for them.

I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine. .41AE was designed to be a .41mag cut down and set to fit in a 9mm frame with only a barrel change. The bullets for the .41 mag should be .410, the bullets for the .41AE were also supposed to be .410. If so I think you're good.

Yep, they are .410, but only thing I find data on is the 170 grain bullets or heavier bullets. I use H110 powder to reload with. I would have figured that there would have been some reloaded in the 180 gr bullets some where.

I believe what the OP is implying is that there is info for a 170gr bullet, then it jumps to 200 or 210 (depending on your manual)
I almost always use a 210gr bullet in my Ruger and for that I use 22gr of H110. Since the starting load (in my Lyman manual) is 22.5gr and goes to 26gr for a 17ogr bullet, if it was me I'd go with 22.5gr of H110.

I've never shot 180gr bullets and you need to understand that H110 is not very tolerant of light loads. Do so at your own risk. If you're not comfortable doing this, pick a different powder that's more tolerant of light loads or just sell the bullets. I'd buy them but I won't be going past Hermiston until Elk season in November. :D

FYI, H110 and the .41 Mag is a match made in Heaven if you want magnum loads, at least in my opinion.

I've never shot 180gr bullets and you need to understand that H110 is not very tolerant of light loads. Do so at your own risk. If you're not comfortable doing this, pick a different powder that's more tolerant of light loads or just sell the bullets.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this?
I don't shoot any magnum, yet. Even if I wanted to there's really no powder out there anyway! I do have .357 and .44 mag guns but only load .38sp and .44Sp.

Mike

H110 and W296 have a nasty habit of detonating if not enough powder is used. Some powders will just have a hangfire, where there is a noticeable delay between the hammer falling and the powder burning enough to push the bullet out of the case, while others detonate. When powder detonates, it explodes instead of burning. Detonation can cause things to blow up.

I also use Blue Dot for magnum 357 loads. Previously used it a lot for .41 Mag, but the formula was changed slightly years ago. After that change the company has warned against it's use in any .41 Mag loading and not to be used with a 125gr or lighter bullet in the .357.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx

does your 41 180 gr. bullets have a cannular crimp ring if not i would get the correct bullets for 41 mag it require a good crimp you may not get a good roll crimp 41 ae. is a taper crimp and should not need cannular if you decide to sell these bullets i would be interested

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top