JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I decide to re-barrel my rifle from regular commercial fluted barrel to a heavy barrel (gunsmith would do it), would I also have to replace the original stock if the stock is a polymer one. To be more specific, if I decide to replace the fluted 300 Win Mag barrel on my Tikka T3X with a heavy 300 Win Mag barrel, do I have to replace the rifle stock. My version of the rifle has True Timber Strata stock, and after replacing the original grip with a pistol one, I love the ergonomics of the stock and would love to keep this stock if possible. Yesterday night I calculated that, with the rate I am shooting this rifle, I will have to replace its barrel in about 12 months (will reach usual barrel life-span). Since I love heavy rifles (I do not like idea of light rifle), when the time comes I will go for a heavy barrel.

If I decide to re-barrel my rifle from regular commercial fluted barrel to a heavy barrel (gunsmith would do it), would I also have to replace the original stock if the stock is a polymer one. To be more specific, if I decide to replace the fluted 300 Win Mag barrel on my Tikka T3X with a heavy 300 Win Mag barrel, do I have to replace the rifle stock. My version of the rifle has True Timber Strata stock, and after replacing the original grip with a pistol one, I love the ergonomics of the stock and would love to keep this stock if possible. Yesterday night I calculated that, with the rate I am shooting this rifle, I will have to replace its barrel in about 12 months (will reach usual barrel life-span). Since I love heavy rifles (I do not like idea of light rifle), when the time comes I will go for a heavy barrel.
Throw caution to wind and get a new age vertical grip type stock.
Introducing AG Composites Alpine Hunter !

If you go from a hunting contour to a M24 or MTU than you better plan on getting a new stock. If you choose a med Palma or Rem varmint contour you better plan on getting a new stock. See what I did there :D

A Bartlein #3 is as heavy as you'd want to pack around.
A rifle builder once told me that after .650 they start gettin' heavy for packin'.
Probably the best Contour Chart...
I agree with keeping hunting rifles light unless you train for hunting season like an athlete does for sports. Even then a lighter load makes life much better.

If it's a truck to bench rifle make it heavy. Large barrels are stiffer, recoil less and take longer to heat up.

If the sides of the forend get too thin it gets prone to cracking and flexing a good bit more.
It not hard to open up a barrel channel with a dowel and sandpaper if it has enough meat.

Last Edited:
I'm in a similar dilemma with a M700 barreled action currently en route (USPS) to me.
It has a Bartlein #3 on it and hopes were to put it in a new OEM CDL stock.
If that's a no-go then an H-S Precision stock with proper barrel channel will be ordered.

I'm in a similar dilemma with a M700 barreled action currently en route (USPS) to me.
It has a Bartlein #3 on it and hopes were to put it in a new OEM CDL stock.
If that's a no-go then an H-S Precision stock with proper barrel channel will be ordered.
Sounds exciting. I wish you all the best with your new set-up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top