JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The forms and process to approve a firearm sale is all Federal. I am not even sure how the state would obtain the information without inspecting the paperwork at the point of sale. It doesn't even go through the state other than the California handgun issue.

The forms and process to approve a firearm sale is all Federal. I am not even sure how the state would obtain the information without inspecting the paperwork at the point of sale. It doesn't even go through the state other than the California handgun issue.

All Oregon BGCs go thru Oregon State Police. Not sure about WA or CA state.

A registration system such as CA can be compulsory but not automatic via transfers - I am not sure how the CA system works, beyond knowing that I don't like it and want no part of it. I just know how Orygun works - more or less.

I have never had a problem with the California 100% FFL transfer requirement other than The wait period is annoying. Washington has strange laws about Parts and kits from full auto weapons that California doesn't have. I also think keeping a copy of the transfer paperwork is different than entering it into a data base. Copies are always available at the point of sale anyway. It doesn't create a method of pulling up your name and an inventory of your guns.

Last Edited:
I also think keeping a copy of the transfer paperwork is different than entering it into a data base. Copies are always available at the point of sale anyway. It doesn't create a method of pulling up your name and an inventory of your guns.

Not only is a hardcopy the very definition of a database, a copy means its backed up in more than one location.

The State of Oregon keeps all firearms sales records permanently. I had an FFL for many years.
About 15 years after I had stopped being an FFL holder, I received a call from the local Sheriffs Department.
They said they had a pistol registered to me in the evidence room and asked if I wanted to come pick it up. I went on down and I asked them a lot of questions, like how they took possession and how long they have had it, etc.. They said they did not know, which I found a bit hard to believe.
They simply stated that they were cleaning the evidence room and found the pistol.
What they did know was, I was the FFL holder it was shipped to and that I had purchased the pistol from myself!
So, if you think for 1 second that the State of Oregon follows the law about destroying records every five years or so, you're only fooling yourself, because they keep those records forever!!!

When one sells (or buys) a gun through a private sale does the BGC establish a record of the sale? For example - I sell a gun and meet with the buyer at an FFL for the transfer and all is well. Buyer later sells the gun FTF without accomplishing A BGC. Non BGC Buyer later sells the gun and DOES meet with the buyer at an FFL for the transfer - does my name 'show up' as the last legal BGC accomplished?

Question # 1- Yes it does and the State keeps that record permanently.
It works like this. The first person to purchase a new firearm will always come up first on the list as buyer #1, no matter how many times the firearm is sold through an FFL or a private BGC is run.
Buyer # 2 will be second on the list, if a BGC is run by an FFL or State.
And so on.
The fact that someone sold a firearm FTF without paperwork, after you went through an FFL or State BGC system to make a sale to someone else, should not be of any concern to you.
The State just uses that system to try and permanently track as many sales as possible, so they can see who owns what.
Because before the new law about transfers was put into place, they could not track private sales, now they can and they keep permanent records, regardless of what the laws say.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top