JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I have a used rifle for sale in Portland and another Oregonian in Medford wants to buy it but doesn't want to drive all the way to Portland can I just mail the rifle to him direct or does this sale have to go through an FFL? If it requires FFLs, on which end?

You can ship it in-state through a commercial carrier. If you follow their rules you will likely end up sending it overnight which is a bit spendy but probably not as much as the fuel to drive all the way down there.

You can ship it in-state through a commercial carrier. If you follow their rules you will likely end up sending it overnight which is a bit spendy but probably not as much as the fuel to drive all the way down there.

As far as I know the carrier rules on firearms going expedited methods is for handguns. I know that fedex allows rifles to be sent with slower methods, however my experience with that has only been shipping to an FFL (where they require you to show a copy of the FFL's license) so it might be different when shipping to an individual.

As far as I know the carrier rules on firearms going expedited methods is for handguns. I know that fedex allows rifles to be sent with slower methods, however my experience with that has only been shipping to an FFL (where they require you to show a copy of the FFL's license) so it might be different when shipping to an individual.

No, you are right as far as their written rules. The counter person and their supervisor might make up some rules though so I should have added it's a good idea to print out their rules to take with you when you go to ship.

UPS: Shipping Firearms

Prohibited & Restricted Articles | FXF Rules Tariff - FedEx

Thanks,

Reading the links provided I see the word "licensed" all over the rules..........I don't see an exception for long guns mentioned.

You can ship a rifle through USPS, yes, that is true..Do not even bother to tell them what it is, and absolutely do not put it on the package (or the package will never get where it is supposed to be going)

now for the real problem...you are really supposed to transfer any firearm, long gun, pistol or other, Face To Face, or through a licensed person. That is what the ATF wants anyway. And a "licensed" person is talking about an FFL, not a CHL. If the weapon is C&R and the recipient has a C&R...that person is "licensed" as per the ATF and this requirement.

You can ship a rifle through USPS, yes, that is true..Do not even bother to tell them what it is, and absolutely do not put it on the package (or the package will never get where it is supposed to be going)

now for the real problem...you are really supposed to transfer any firearm, long gun, pistol or other, Face To Face, or through a licensed person. That is what the ATF wants anyway. And a "licensed" person is talking about an FFL, not a CHL. If the weapon is C&R and the recipient has a C&R...that person is "licensed" as per the ATF and this requirement.

Who the hell cares what the ATF wants? It's about what is legal and what is not. Selling to a resident of your state is legal, do your due diligence to ensure they are not a felon(have them send a copy of their drivers license and CHL) and ship away.

ATF controls INTERSTATE transfers BECAUSE THEY ARE FEDERAL. IN state transfers are controlled by the state.

So yes legal, but make sure he is a state resident and can legally own a firearm. How are you going to do that my mail?

ATF controls INTERSTATE transfers BECAUSE THEY ARE FEDERAL. IN state transfers are controlled by the state.

So yes legal, but make sure he is a state resident and can legally own a firearm. How are you going to do that my mail?

Do it via Skype. watching him hold up his Oregon Drivers license to a PC camera while your looking at his face is not much different then doing it in a parking lot somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top