JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone I'm new to forum as I'll be moving out to Portland at the beginning of March and thought I should get on one of the local forums. I did have a question about FFL transfers and out of state residents in Oregon.

I understand that according to federal law dealers can transfer rifles and shotguns to out of state residents and they can NOT transfer handguns.

I'm wondering how common that actually is in practice and if anyone knows any FFL's that would do that. I'm looking to buy a rifle when I get out that way. Feel free to PM me if that's better.

Although Oregon would be my new state of residence, it will take me some time to set everything up, get a new drivers license, I believe establishing residency in the state takes 12 months, etc. would my valid passport or out of state license suffice? Is there any documentation I'd need to provide?

I'm familiar with measure 114 and the ongoing court proceedings, I'm hoping that this would take place before that goes into affect, if ever.

My concern is that most FFL's probably don't want to do that type of transaction even if it is lawful.

Residency doesn't take 12 months.

Make an appointment with the DMV online and bring your rental agreement or mortgage contract among lots of other options for proof of residency.

I think I had my OR license a week or two after moving into the state.

Residency doesn't take 12 months.

Make an appointment with the DMV online and bring your rental agreement or mortgage contract among lots of other options for proof of residency.

I think I had my OR license a week or two after moving into the state.
Thanks for the info I was under the impression it took longer to be a bonafide resident. I can wait a week or two for sure lol.

Hey everyone I'm new to forum as I'll be moving out to Portland at the beginning of March and thought I should get on one of the local forums. I did have a question about FFL transfers and out of state residents in Oregon.

I understand that according to federal law dealers can transfer rifles and shotguns to out of state residents and they can NOT transfer handguns.

I'm wondering how common that actually is in practice and if anyone knows any FFL's that would do that. I'm looking to buy a rifle when I get out that way. Feel free to PM me if that's better.

Although Oregon would be my new state of residence, it will take me some time to set everything up, get a new drivers license, I believe establishing residency in the state takes 12 months, etc. would my valid passport or out of state license suffice? Is there any documentation I'd need to provide?

I'm familiar with measure 114 and the ongoing court proceedings, I'm hoping that this would take place before that goes into affect, if ever.

My concern is that most FFL's probably don't want to do that type of transaction even if it is lawful..
Should not be a problem on long guns.
I live in Wa state, and I have bought long guns in Oregon.
Best,
Gary

The problem is going to come when your out of state ID does not have your current address. Believe me, they have a way of knowing. I went to buy a gun right after I moved and didn't have my ID updated yet, OSP denied it, once the FFL corrected the address, everything was good.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top