JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have thermal and night vision goggles. Thermal is useless through brushes and woods unless out in your line of sight.

Night vision is great but has it's limitations.

Realize that if someone is out there at night then will likely be using a flashlight or headlamp and thus giving away their position.

I have thermal and night vision goggles. Thermal is useless through brushes and woods unless out in your line of sight.

Night vision is great but has it's limitations.

Realize that if someone is out there at night then will likely be using a flashlight or headlamp and thus giving away their position.
I thought thermal was better when foliage was involved - guess I was wrong? Interesting.

I thought thermal was better when foliage was involved - guess I was wrong? Interesting.
It is better than NV when foliage is involved. NV can be easily defeated with camouflage, but thermal registers variations in heat energy...some materials emit that energy faster than others, but the human body is staying a relative constant temp. Other inanimate objects dump their heat to the ether once the sun goes down.

BUT...Thermal CANNOT see through glass, so carry an old windshield as part of your bugout kit ...lol

Wow, well I guess I will not bother then. It would be nice but if I have to spend a couple K I can do it the old way. Walk out there and see. Was hoping the "tech" had gotten better and cheaper, guess it has not.
Ya. The good tech has gotten better, and the cheap tech has gotten cheaper, but the good tech has not gotten cheap, ha.
:p

BUT...Thermal CANNOT see through glass, so carry an old windshield as part of your bugout kit ...lol
Check 👍

So-MD-auto-glass-replacement.jpg

Thermal doesn't see through things. It detects heat. It requires a direct line of sight to work. I can't see my buddy 20 yards in the woods with it unless we happen to line up just right with no obstruction of trees, brush, etc.

I can see him in the open for a long ways however.

It would be better for the dessert.

I don't have the hands on experience to recommend something, but I have kept my eye on NVD/thermal optics for years as I eventually want to get something.

My impression is that there are a number of factors that you will get more if you pay more:

1) Resolution - pay more to get finer resolution and defintion
2) Distance that you can determine what it is you are seeing
3) Things like battery life, external vid/snapshot, etc. - i.e., bells and whistles

You won't get a whole lot of those characteristics for a few hundred dollars, or even $1K. However, since you are probably going for handheld and not a weapon mounted sight, you might be able to get something adequate for your purpose for $1K or less. I recommend getting optics that use FLIR sensors/etc., or even a FLIR product itself:

I recommend you checkout the many many vids of products on Youtube to see what they are capable of.
Might wanna have a look at the one star ratings on this, if anyone intends to buy one

Moving to a new place where we will be keeping an eye on a large ground at night, about 100 Acres or so. Since its almost all no lights out there was going to get a set of glass that works to see at night. Don't need something "ninja" not going into battle here, just want something that would let me see if there is someone I need to chase off or if its just 4 legged critters I hear. So, was looking at something like this? Know absolutely zero about this stuff.

These show they run on standard batteries so I can just recharge them. Any down side to these compared to something else?
[h3][/h3]

CREATIVE XP Digital Night Vision Binoculars for 100% Darkness - Save Photos & Videos with Audio – 4x35 mm Infrared Spy Gear for Hunting & Surveillance – Large Screen & 1000ft Viewing Range – 32GB Card

I have one these NV binoculars and works OK. The only thing I don't like is that right eye piece glows red in IR mode. The is one normal mode, and three IR modes. You can take pictures or movies if you want. You can hold your hand up to block the red light from the right eyepiece but distance you can see is very limited.

The display is very bright by default but you can set to 1 or 2 to make it dimmer or 3 for full brightness.

E26A01A3-970B-4C4E-9CAE-7694527119D3.jpeg

Moving to a new place where we will be keeping an eye on a large ground at night, about 100 Acres or so. Since its almost all no lights out there was going to get a set of glass that works to see at night. Don't need something "ninja" not going into battle here, just want something that would let me see if there is someone I need to chase off or if its just 4 legged critters I hear. So, was looking at something like this? Know absolutely zero about this stuff.
I have one these NV binoculars and works OK. The only thing I don't like is that right eye piece glows red in IR mode. The is one normal mode, and three IR modes. You can take pictures or movies if you want. You can hold your hand up to block the red light from the right eyepiece but distance you can see is very limited.

The display is very bright by default but you can set to 1 or 2 to make it dimmer or 3 for full brightness.
Seems similar to what I bought for just under $200. Like y'all, I was not gonna spend $2k for something that I was not likely to use very often, yet still wanted something to see what's on the property. I have this pair called TigerEye, made in China, distributed by an outfit called SpekterTactical. I ordered them online.

It uses IR to paint the subject, and the image is pretty damn clear out to about 100 yards, and the literature claims it will pick up stuff out to 300 yards (haven't tested that claim yet). Has various IR settings, light/brightness settings, 1X - 4X zoom, etc. Uses a half-dozen AA batts, and I'm sure you could use rechargeables, too. Supports a 32G MicroSD card (not included) for movies and stills. Comes with a USB 2.0 cord to download the SD card to your device.

Sure, it's not mil grade, but I wasn't gonna spend thou$and$ to get something I would rarely use or ever have a deep need for. It does everything I need them to do, and it's everything I thought it would be for $200, and it suits my purposes just fine. Might work for you, too.

TigerEye1.JPG

TigerEye2.JPG

TigerEye3.JPG

Seems similar to what I bought for just under $200. Like y'all, I was not gonna spend $2k for something that I was not likely to use very often, yet still wanted something to see what's on the property. I have this pair called TigerEye, made in China, distributed by an outfit called SpekterTactical. I ordered them online.

It uses IR to paint the subject, and the image is pretty damn clear out to about 100 yards, and the literature claims it will pick up stuff out to 300 yards (haven't tested that claim yet). Has various IR settings, light/brightness settings, 1X - 4X zoom, etc. Uses a half-dozen AA batts, and I'm sure you could use rechargeables, too. Supports a 32G MicroSD card (not included) for movies and stills. Comes with a USB 2.0 cord to download the SD card to your device.

Sure, it's not mil grade, but I wasn't gonna spend thou$and$ to get something I would rarely use or ever have a deep need for. It does everything I need them to do, and it's everything I thought it would be for $200, and it suits my purposes just fine. Might work for you, too.

View attachment 1006753

View attachment 1006754

View attachment 1006755
Thanks for sharing this.

It is better than NV when foliage is involved. NV can be easily defeated with camouflage, but thermal registers variations in heat energy...some materials emit that energy faster than others, but the human body is staying a relative constant temp. Other inanimate objects dump their heat to the ether once the sun goes down.

FYI- An emergency Mylar "space blanket" will do the same thing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top