JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a question about Oregon firearm law. When I go to my friends ranch in Oregon, everyone carries loaded rifles in their trucks.
Bolt actions, Mini 14s, ect. They tell me it's legal, but being a lifer of Wa. it's hard to believe. It's a big no no here in Wa.

So can you carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Oregon? If yes, can it be bolt or magazine? High capacity?

Yes , doesn't matter what kind. Don't do it in Portland, Albany, or Newport.

City laws there prohibit it there I'm guessing.

So when I cross into Oregon, as I do almost every day. I should unload my concealed carry, put it in the glove box, and slap a clip into my rifle!

Can the chamber be loaded? Does the safety have to be on?

Nooo, not in the glove box! that is considered concealed, but both rifles and pistols are legal to carry in your vehicle in Oregon loaded as long as they are in plain sight!

Do not travel that way into California!

So you can't put an unloaded pistol in the glove box?
When I go into the store what do I do? It is illegal to leave a firearm in plain sight in an unoccupied vehicle in Washington.

Put it in the trunk or somewhere outside the passenger compartment if possible. If you don't have storage outside the passenger compartment,lock it up in the glove box or console. If they don't lock, you'll need to lock it in another case.

Rifle can be loaded, concealed, or Pink. Doesn't matter

To be exact, under state law a rifle can be concealed in a vehicle loaded or unloaded. ORS 166.250 only prohibits concealment of rifle upon a person (loaded or unloaded), not in a vehicle. Now with the city laws it's more tricky. Take for example Newport City :

CHAPTER 8.20
OFFENSES
Weapons
b]A. Loaded firearms and other weapons prohibited. No
person may carry a loaded firearm
, spring or air-actuated
gun or rifle, or any other weapon that propels a projective
by use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet, or rocket
propulsion in any place open to the public, except for:
1. Law enforcement officers.
2. Members of the military in performance of official
duties.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. Persons authorized under state law to have loaded
weapons in court facilities, while they are in or
traveling to court facilities.

So this is pretty clear. Carrying of any loaded firearm is prohibited. The only open question is what is "carrying". I bet having a rifle on the back seat is carrying. Generally I like to refer to FOPA for what's "not carrying", or otherwise called "transportation" ;)

And btw, get your CHL and then you don't have to worry about any of those.

To be exact, under state law a rifle can be concealed in a vehicle loaded or unloaded. ORS 166.250 only prohibits concealment of rifle upon a person (loaded or unloaded), not in a vehicle. Now with the city laws it's more tricky. Take for example Newport City :

CHAPTER 8.20
OFFENSES
Weapons
b]A. Loaded firearms and other weapons prohibited. No
person may carry a loaded firearm
, spring or air-actuated
gun or rifle, or any other weapon that propels a projective
by use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet, or rocket
propulsion in any place open to the public, except for:
1. Law enforcement officers.
2. Members of the military in performance of official
duties.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. Persons authorized under state law to have loaded
weapons in court facilities, while they are in or
traveling to court facilities.

So this is pretty clear. Carrying of any loaded firearm is prohibited. The only open question is what is "carrying". I bet having a rifle on the back seat is carrying. Generally I like to refer to FOPA for what's "not carrying", or otherwise called "transportation" ;)

And btw, get your CHL and then you don't have to worry about any of those.

I have a concealed carry in Wa, but Clatsop County next door, doesn't issue to their neighbors.

I have a concealed carry in Wa, but Clatsop County next door, doesn't issue to their neighbors.

Columbia county will but they have extra hoops and an extra fee. http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=53

I know Multnomah County is pretty easy for WA residents to get a CHL. Not sure about any other counties that are closer to you. Sheriff Palmer from Grant County still shows up in Vancouver about once a year too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top