JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it legal to carry a loaded carbine (sub2000) in my cars trunk? I was reading the rcw's and looks like if I was a member of a shooting club I could, but not sure. enlighten me :).

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
a) Not concealed or
b) “Not readily accesible.”

“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible."

From:Oregon Firearms Federation | FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State

Is it legal to carry a loaded carbine (sub2000) in my cars trunk? I was reading the rcw's and looks like if I was a member of a shooting club I could, but not sure. enlighten me :).

You need to dig further in the RCW"s I
RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

[1999 c 258 § 7; 1998 c 190 § 28.]

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
a) Not concealed or
b) “Not readily accesible.”

“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible."

From:Oregon Firearms Federation | FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State

OP was specifically asking about a loaded RIFLE in the vehicles trunk in WA, not a pistol in OR.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

So basically, I could have an ar15 in the trunk with a 20 round clip loaded but not inserted into the gun.

Correct. Having a loaded detachable magazine does not = a loaded firearm as long it is NOT in the firearm.

Having a loaded magazine in a firearm even if a round is not chambered IS considered loaded.

I believe you would forfeit your car and gun and freedom if you were caught with a loaded RIFLE in your trunk.

I know the second chapter (RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.) about CC pistols pretty much negates the CC law,with all the "gunclub","camping","Hunting" exceptions,but I have always heard the rifle/shotgun and ammo must ride in different locked (at least one of them) compartments.
Meaning the rifle up front and the ammo in the trunk/tool box

Maybe that is just for hunting?Game warden wants it this way,I've been told.(by a guy who was stopped by the Man)

Now you may get everything back,but I'm pretty sure a cop wouldn't know if it was legal or not.He would ASSume it wasn't.

8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

BUT this is all about HANDGUNS.That's why the state change to a Concealed Carry Pistol license.That way the term "weapon" wasn't misleading people to believe it included rifles or knives.Just handguns.

Correct. Having a loaded detachable magazine does not = a loaded firearm as long it is NOT in the firearm.

Having a loaded magazine in a firearm even if a round is not chambered IS considered loaded.

And that's the beauty of a semi auto rifle.You have the mag in the front and the gun in the trunk ,UNLOADED (so when you are hit from the rear,the gun doesn't go off and kill you?)

Then you can open the trunk and load the weapon.It would take another,what 2 seconds?
I mean,if you are going to the trunk to fetch it,the person you want to shoot isn't gunna just stand there anyway.
They have a good idea what you are retrieving in the trunk.

Hence 2 seconds won't matter that much.They will retreat or shoot you either way.

yeah confusing laws is what they are. So the answer is I can have my carbine in the truck and loaded magazine in glove box. I was thinking if shtf my little lcp might give me some cover fire while I retrieve that carbine....haha!

in oregon you can carry a loaded rifle in your rig and have access to it . im sure a carbine dosent matter

indeed- i roll with a carbine at arms reach always.

so in oregon do you need a CPL to do that or can anyone do that?

there's no express prohibition from carrying a rifle in your car, however you're expressly exempt from the only law that might tend to make it appear you cant if you have a CHL.

I also keep a carbine in the vehicle, and cross over into WA often enough, so I thought I better read this thread. The only thing I might add is to make sure you KNOW the definition of loaded. I was told by a semi-reliable source the loaded mags stored in the same container as the firearm fits the legal definition of a loaded weapon.

i carry my ar loaded with me if im out coyote hunting or going to the valley it seems really stupid to not allow a loaded gun in your vehicle . guns are no good if there not loaded . im sure that a criminal that wants to go commit a crime isnt going to pay attention to the law anyway. seems like washington dosent trust its citizens very much

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top