JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got back home with my new Henry. Now I need to get a manual to figure out cleaning procedure (manual was not included in the box). I also need to figure out the elevation scale. Any recommendation for a cleaning kits (I only need brushes and rod). Down the road I am thinking about adding a scope, but am not yet perfectly sure if I want it since I will carry this riffle on the side of my backpack. I should be fine up to 100 yards with the factory sights (got 27 months of military experience in Croatia army from 1991-1993 and was fine with AK47-Yugo, SKS-Yugo and Mosin M44-Russian with iron sights)
Sorry, my Ruger is GP100 (I always mix SP and GP and to be honest with all gun models I have a hard time to remember model names and my woman calls my Ruger "gun that lights up") seems to have the issue with rear iron sight. The little screw that is used to adjust the sight gets somewhat loose after a while. I am not sure if it is from a heat expansion or vibration. I rarely use this revolver and 200 rounds = 1 year for me, so it is not a big deal. Eventually I might take it to a gunsmith to take care of it.
Either a completely new shooter or a troll! A danger to himself and others! Please take a firearms safety class and get training on maintenance too!

The reason I came to this forum is to inform and learn as much as I can about my Henry, not to troll anything. Last time I had a rifle was almost 30 years ago and it will take me some time to get used to it and practice. Safety is always my first priority.

The reason I came to this forum is to inform and learn as much as I can about my Henry, not to troll anything. Last time I had a rifle was almost 30 years ago and it will take me some time to get used to it and practice. Safety is always my first priority.
Grab a rope style bore cleaner.
A few passes with those work amazing. Welcome to the forum.

Skinner Sights

Ranger Point Precision Sights

Montana Slings

Thanks for the links. Finally I was able to make it to a shooting range just for 60 minutes. I took about 60 rounds and was pleased with the results considering how long it has been since I shot a rifle. I spent first 20 rounds zeroing rear sight at 25 yards distance. I need now to practice as often as I have time. I am also looking to arrange a couple of hours of private rifle lesson with a pro. Meantime, I also ordered Cobra bore cleaning snake from Amazon, picatinny rail from Henry website (finally they came back in stock) and a soft pouch to carry rifle to shooting range. I spent few hours learning how to disassembly and assembly rifle, so now I can clean it. I decided to buy and install a red dot sight, so I will buy one after I check them out in our local gun shops.

Skinner Sights

Ranger Point Precision Sights

Montana Slings

DirectDrive, thanks for the link to Montana Slings. I ordered their 1.25'' dark-brown leather sling with black swivels. They seem great quality and should last forever.

For bear protection you want sights that allow for fast acquisition. Get rid of the buckhorn sights. Go with a rear peep or ghost sight. On the Henry Forum there is a section for discussion about sights. You can likely find a sight that will work without having to change out the front sight. The Ranger Point CloverLeaf sight with fiber optics comes to mind.

One other point. For bear protection pick the right ammo. No Hollow Point ammo!!!!!
Jacketed Soft Point or Hard Cast are the two best for bear defense.
HSM, Underwood and Buffalo Bore are a couple ammo companies to look at.

Ranger Point Precision has not developed a sight for the large frame (1895/336).
Instead, they sell a sight that was made for the small frame and include a "spacer" (riser plate) when you order for the large frame. The spacer is needed to match up to the taller 1895/336 front sight.
Also the "clover leaf" idea washes out for some shooters and looks like a normal peep.
RPP uses aluminum for some of their sights and plastic for the apertures.
Not a fan of that whole scenario.

On the other hand, the Skinner Alaskan peep sight looks like it grew out of the large frame receiver.
It's full length with the receiver and is of blued carbon steel or brass.
Apertures are blued carbon steel.

Edit:
Lost track if we are talking about Marlin or Henry
Either way, I like the build quality of the Skinner.

For bear protection you want sights that allow for fast acquisition. Get rid of the buckhorn sights. Go with a rear peep or ghost sight. On the Henry Forum there is a section for discussion about sights. You can likely find a sight that will work without having to change out the front sight. The Ranger Point CloverLeaf sight with fiber optics comes to mind.

One other point. For bear protection pick the right ammo. No Hollow Point ammo!!!!!
Jacketed Soft Point or Hard Cast are the two best for bear defense.
HSM, Underwood and Buffalo Bore are a couple ammo companies to look at.

Thank you very much for your advise. At this point I am practicing twice a week with Cowboy Action and Fiocchi (405 grain) and Federal 300 Grain and recoil was not an issue at all and shooting was a pleasure. However, I also got Grizzly +P 460 grain, and I shot few of these, but my right shoulder definitely did not enjoy it. Every shot I took with +P ammo I felt a delayed pain going through my right arm, but it was not too bad and I could manage few shots. Yesterday I ordered from MidwayUSA few boxes (20 rounds each) of Hornady LEVERevolution 325 Grain FTX for practice. I am heading to an outdoor shooting range (Issaquah, WA) today and will shoot left-overs of Cowboy Action, Fiocchi and Federal. Right now I am doing recoil energy calculations for each ammo in order to determine my upper limit that I would say is Grizzly 460 Grain +P. However, I am having difficulty to find out how much powder is loaded in each cartridge as manufacturers do not include it in the specs, so at this point I am making just estimations. According to my estimation, Grizzly 460 +P is 40-50 ft/lb (in 7 lb rifle @ V = 1850 ft/sec), so for bear protection I will be looking for something below 40 ft/lb recoil energy.

Edit:
Lost track if we are talking about Marlin or Henry
Either way, I like the build quality of the Skinner.

I have Skinners on a couple rifles. Very high quality. But for a specific rifle/sight combo one may have to replace the front sight. Somewhere on the Marble Sights web site they have a parts # / Sights Specification document. In that document are detailed instructions on how to do the math to determine the proper front sight height for any given rear sight / gun combo.

XS also makes good sights and sells rear/front sight sets for certain guns.

Last Edited:
I am pretty much all set with my rifle and these days I am practicing twice a week experimenting with various cartridges. I tried few different sights and finally settled with Sig Sauer Romeo 3 red dot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top