JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am 20 and I was thinking of purchasing a CZ-75 come tax return time. Now, originally I thought this was impossible and that you had to be 21 period unless it is given to you as a gift, but someone informed me that I could purchase one through a private face-to-face sale. It is only illegal if I try to buy it through an FFL. Is this true?
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html
If I'm interpreting these laws right, 166.250-270 seem to cover the possession and 166.410 up cover sales; I believe I am good to go, but I'd like to make sure before I accidentally cause someone to commit a felony.

Be aware that a lot of people will be leary (sp?) of selling someone under 21 a handgun. Best to make sure they are informed of the laws, and make sure they're comfortable with the sale before you go face to face.

I researched this recently when another 20-year-old wanted to buy a pistol from me. I even called the State of Oregon office that does the "instant-checks" and got their opinion.

A person under 21 can only own a handgun in Oregon if it is bought by an adult and then received as a gift. A minor cannot purchase a pistol legally, even in a face-to-face sale, without breaking the law.

Now, it's easy to say, "In a face-to-face sale, who is going to know?" But remember how many people want to take that freedom away from us! There could be a decoy sent by Handgun Control or the ATF to bust private sellers and to get dirt to campaign against our rights with. There could simply be collegians researching a paper on "gun control" or the lack thereof! Even paranoids have real enemies---and I have seen this same question on other firearms messageboards---somebody might be fishing.....................elsullo :s0131:

I don't know anything anymore! I searched through the statues to find the one I remember, and could not find it.

I DID find that Oregon defines a minor as "under-eighteen". I did NOT find any prohibition against anyone eighteen and over owning or buying a handgun, NOR any prohibition against anyone, dealer or private, from selling a handgun to anyone eighteen and over.

This is new to me and not what I remember, unless the laws have changed recently. I am cross-eyed from reading the statutes and have a big headache too! I must conclude that the Oregon State Police gave me faulty legal advice on gun sales!

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Evidently I no longer do!......................elsullo:huh:

FTF in Oregon for anyone 18 and older is ok for any gun!!!

Dealers are governed by the ATF, we cannot sell any gun unless it is a shotgun or rifle to 18-20 year olds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top