Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question about gun registration

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by gjohnson, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gjohnson

gjohnson Lake Oswego Member

I purchased a gun from a friend (FTF) and am trying to sell it now. Do I have to register the gun to my name before selling it? I have a bill of sale.

2. onearmedswordsman

onearmedswordsman Hillsboro, OR Member

3. gjohnson

So to be able to sell this gun FFL (oregon to washington) I should be in the clear and not have to register it in my naem before transferring it?

4. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

I'm pretty sure the FFL can accept it. But if it's a non-FFL across state lines, then no you can't. Please research this however, because some guy on in the internet is probably not going to make a good defense or defense attorney if you get caught on a crime.

Ask the FFL you're selling to about specifics, they should know.

The specifics of gun laws are incredibly annoying.

5. gjohnson

I sent coctailer a message asking specifics to see if I needed to register the gun to my name or if a copy of the bill of sale would suffice. I guess I will see what he says,

6. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

By FEDERAL LAW.........you as an non-FFL OR resident cannot transfer a firearm to a WA resident. The transaction/transfer must go through an FFL.

Taken from the ATF site.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

Aloha, Mark