Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question about chokes

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Scappoose, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Scappoose

Scappoose Oregon New Member

I recently bought a Sparton 310 shotgun. I took it trap shooting yesterday and talked to a person about putting a new choke in it because the barrel is short. What would be the best one to use? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Barrel length really doesn't have anything to do with it. For Trap from the 16 yd line you could use Modified, Improved Modified, or Full Choke. Most use full Choke. For hunting, it depends on what your hunting and the conditions.

Hunting birds over a dog, Quail, Chukar, or Pheasant, I use mostly Improved Cylinder or Modified although you could use modified and full. Just be careful to let then get a little ways out if they flush close so you don't turn them into hamburger. If I'm pass shooting Geese or the shots will be 35-45 yards out or longer, I use Mod and Full or Improved Mod and Full.

When I shot a lot of ducks over decoys, particular puddle ducks like Mallards, Pintails, and such in flooded Timber I would even use Skeet chokes because most of the shots would be pretty close as the birds were settling into the decoys.

You do NOT want to use Steel in Full choke guns. I would use nothing tighter than Mod when shooting Steel.

3. dave

dave Independence Member

I believe the spartan line comes with several rem chokes or Baikal which ever. I would use the modified choke at first. It wont smoke the clays as well as a full choke will but it will help your confidence by breaking more clays.

4. Cougfan2

Good advice. Just be sure to swing thru the bird and shoot before it gets too far out if you're using modified choke. Depending on which station your are shooting from, foot position is very important also. Just one or two sessions with a good Trap shooting coach can dramatically increase your scores. One coach I worked with encouraged me to develop what he called a roving eye to quickly pick up the bird and the direction it was heading. Where you start your gun barrel depending what station you are shooting from is also important.

5. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Actually barrel length does have something to do with it: velocity.

If the pellets are moving slower, the pattern opens up at a shorter distance from the gun.

6. Cougfan2

I would agree to some extent. Although unless it is a very short barrel, most of the powder has already burned by the time the shot column exits the barrel. Most shotgun powders are pretty fast burning flake or ball powders.

For me at least, a longer barrel is an advantage in helping me swing thru the bird. I tend to like longer barreled guns for Trap and upland game hunting because I like a gun that is a little muzzle heavy. I have this really irritating tendency to stop my swing and a gun that is a little muzzle heave helps me swing thru better without stopping.

7. NoAim

My shotguns are typically short. 8", 12.5", 18" and 22".

8. Cougfan2

My shotguns are typically short. 8", 12.5", 18" and 22".

Then you make a good point for the shorter barrels, i.e. 8", 12.5", 18" , but my guess is that for shottys with those short of barrels we aren't talking about shootin' Pheasants. ;) More along the lines of two legged upright varmints.

9. dave

dave Independence Member

Never seen an 8" barreled shotgun. Must be for self defence? Did it come stock that way or did a running bandsaw fall on it?

10. Cougfan2

Now that's funny. :laugh:

11. NoAim

Modified. I've used for competition, trap shooting (for fun), and general blasting.

12. dave

dave Independence Member

Cool, I shot a USAS 12 once, very similar mag fed. Who makes that?

13. Cougfan2

Awesome! :D

14. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member