JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend got stopped by Bend PD today and got a speeding ticket and also an interesting response to a declared, unloaded and cased pistol in the back of his Jeep. The following are his words as to what happened and he (and I) would like to know the legalities regarding what took place:

Just got a speeding ticket..... First one in awhile and I had no Idea I was speeding however I was and the ticket was justified. However... Have a question for you Oregon folks. I declared a unloaded firearm in a case in the back of my Jeep (back seat up) so I am blocked from the rear storage area. I was told that I needed a permit to have the firearm in the back of my rig because it was a jeep. The Officer did laugh when I told him it would take an act of god for my fat azz to fit in the small space from the uplifted seat to even reach the firearm in the very back of the vehicle.

COP WRONG

166.250¹

Unlawful possession of firearms

from Paragraph 4
(b)
If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)
The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B)
The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

Just because your car doesn't have a trunk doesn't mean they can charge you with needing a permit. Just the same as they can't charge you with not wearing a seatbelt on a bus...not all LEOs are experts on every law, especially when it comes to guns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top