Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question About Cased Handgun Carry In Vehicles

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RVTECH, Feb 17, 2014.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

A friend got stopped by Bend PD today and got a speeding ticket and also an interesting response to a declared, unloaded and cased pistol in the back of his Jeep. The following are his words as to what happened and he (and I) would like to know the legalities regarding what took place:

Just got a speeding ticket..... First one in awhile and I had no Idea I was speeding however I was and the ticket was justified. However... Have a question for you Oregon folks. I declared a unloaded firearm in a case in the back of my Jeep (back seat up) so I am blocked from the rear storage area. I was told that I needed a permit to have the firearm in the back of my rig because it was a jeep. The Officer did laugh when I told him it would take an act of god for my fat azz to fit in the small space from the uplifted seat to even reach the firearm in the very back of the vehicle.

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

He was wrong.

3. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

He was wrong.

Who? the LEO or my friend?

4. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

COP WRONG

166.250¹

Unlawful possession of firearms

from Paragraph 4
    (b)
    If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)
    The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B)
    The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The LEO.

Also I assume it was a handgun and not a rifle as you didn't make that clear in the OP. As provided above the law states he (your friend) was legally transporting.

7. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

RV - Something you should ask your friend is why he brought up the firearm. Was he asked, or did he just volunteer the information?

8. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many people out there talk themselves into jail, I would guess, a ton.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Just because your car doesn't have a trunk doesn't mean they can charge you with needing a permit. Just the same as they can't charge you with not wearing a seatbelt on a bus...not all LEOs are experts on every law, especially when it comes to guns.