JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Short version can a unloaded firearm be transported after purchase from the FFL location of buisness to your car in a parking lot if the FFL is in a school zone, and if not does having it disassembled make it legal to transport?

My friend who lives in Stayton Oregon bought a long gun from a FFL in Stayton and they field stripped it and refused to hand it to him until he was at his car, because they claimed he couldn't have a unloaded firearm in a school zone in his car. This is after the 4473 background check passed of course. He is not a CHL holder but I dont think there is any law that prohibits an adult over 21 from having a unloaded firearm in a potential school zone. I looked it up and the nearest school is over 0.4 miles (over 2,000 feet) from any school to my knowledge from the buisness. I dont know if they have any city or county laws that may prohibit it is why I include that. I just found it odd as another shop that was much closer to a school I didnt have to do that when I was 19. Thank you.

Last Edited:
I live near Stayton and assume you're talking about Ace Hardware? The only other FFL is even further from any school. I've walked out of both places after buying long and short guns. Something fishy about his story.

I live near Stayton and assume you're talking about Ace Hardware? The only other FFL is even further from any school. I've walked out of both places after buying long and short guns. Something fishy about his story.
Yea I was going to not name it as I was wondering the legality of transporting guns in school zones, but I know some cities such as Eugene have their own regulations on carry and transport of firearms. He bought a pump action shotgun. I go to the other FFL there occasionally as I like used guns but I have heard Fuddlore when I was at ace one or twice buying ammo, so I was mainly wondering if there was a law that prohibits unloaded firearms in school zones but not school property for non chl adults.

Yea I was going to not name it as I was wondering the legality of transporting guns in school zones, but I know some cities such as Eugene have their own regulations on carry and transport of firearms. He bought a pump action shotgun. I go to the other FFL there occasionally as I like used guns but I have heard Fuddlore when I was at ace one or twice buying ammo, so I was mainly wondering if there was a law that prohibits unloaded firearms in school zones but not school property for non chl adults.
I think you/we don't have all the details. I've had firearms shipped to both locations and purchased firearms from both locations recently. Walked out with them in hand. I believe Ace carries it to the front door for you but that's company policy.

Sounds like Jughead was working on shift behind the counter….
Probably correct as I know someone who worked there that would claim you cant have a concealed gun on school grounds with a CHL in Oregon and other fuddlore. I figured no legal thing but I wanted to check as my friends and I go to a gun range that we have to pass by a school football field (in a school zone). I have a chl but they dont so if there was truth to this against unloaded guns in cars I wanted to know as sometimes one of the guys going with me drives and dosent have a chl. Plus I travel past school zones frequently so I want to be aware of laws that could affect me or my friends I go to the range with.

I think you/we don't have all the details. I've had firearms shipped to both locations and purchased firearms from both locations recently. Walked out with them in hand. I believe Ace carries it to the front door for you but that's company policy.
So from what he said when I talked today, that the employee did not give him the gun until he was at his vehicle (walking well past the front door) and the reason it was field stripped was to put it in the box. Though the reason he said he couldn't give it to him until he was at his car was because they are in a school zone and it would be illegal to hand it before then according to the worker.

The Gun Free School Zone Act is really a legal train wreck. It prohibits firearm possession within 1,000 yards of a school with some exceptions. If it was enforced to the letter of the law it would be ugly. This is why I don't bring this up in threads generally. For example, there is no exemption for constitutional carry states (several politicians had been working to fix this in the past but I don't believe they were successful). I would LOVE someone to prove me wrong on this...please!

I wonder if the store had some issue in the past that they are trying to avoid. Yet another feel good law that has zero effect on reducing violence.

Silly questions. How are firearms transfered and displayed legally in the store within the school zone?
The store is private property, so displaying them is no issue. If the store has a parking lot that is also generally private property, so transferring in and out should also be no issue. The store is lawfully conducting business of selling firearms, and the buyer is lawfully purchasing the firearm, which implies they then must transport the firearm home. If a DA were dumb enough to try to prosecute something like carrying the newly purchased firearm to your car, pretty sure the case would be laughed out of court.

As a second thought, the store has a new manager (very nice guy). Maybe it's as simple as his interpretation of said law/company policy. My last purchase there was just before he started there as manager.

As a second thought, the store has a new manager (very nice guy). Maybe it's as simple as his interpretation of said law/company policy. My last purchase there was just before he started there as manager.
That was my first guess, Oregon has a new GFZ law that just went into effect that no longer exempts CHLs from school zones. The federal gun free school zone law doesn't even allow inside the zone (locked travel transport law applies). I can see an FFL trying to be extra cautious here, in order to pass thru the zone the gun must be in a locked container separate from ammo, which must also be in a locked container. Both in a trunk.

I always heard there is an exemption for businesses and home owners that reside inside school zones.

That was my first guess, Oregon has a new GFZ law that just went into effect that no longer exempts CHLs from school zones. The federal gun free school zone law doesn't even allow inside the zone (locked travel transport law applies). I can see an FFL trying to be extra cautious here, in order to pass thru the zone the gun must be in a locked container separate from ammo, which must also be in a locked container. Both in a trunk.

I always heard there is an exemption for businesses and home owners that reside inside school zones.
So, a person can't even have a concealed weapon and drive through a school zone? Like say, a road driven to go to work takes a person through a school zone, just driving through, not anything to do with dropping kids off or such is off limits? Is that what is in this new law?

So, a person can't even have a concealed weapon and drive through a school zone? Like say, a road driven to go to work takes a person through a school zone, just driving through, not anything to do with dropping kids off or such is off limits? Is that what is in this new law?
The Oregon law means you cant go inside the public building or event even if you have a CHL but I don't see anything against being on the property or inside the zone. (note, the school has to post a sign at the door)

The federal law prohibits even passing thru the entire school zone.... it only exempts you if you have a state issued CHL, then you can pass thru or go inside or anything you want. You have to have a CHL issued by the state the school is in, the federal law does not honor reciprocity permits and includes the entire zone even if just passing thru. Its a real mess of a law, luckily most no officers know about it. Keep in mind when traveling out of state.

The Oregon law means you cant go inside the public building or event even if you have a CHL but I don't see anything against being on the property or inside the zone. (note, the school has to post a sign at the door)

The federal law prohibits even passing thru the entire school zone.... it only exempts you if you have a state issued CHL, then you can pass thru or go inside or anything you want. You have to have a CHL issued by the state the school is in, the federal law does not honor reciprocity permits and includes the entire zone even if just passing thru. Its a real mess of a law, luckily most no officers know about it. Keep in mind when traveling out of state.
Ok, I misunderstood the original mention of it. I didn't want to be breaking a new/unknown law by just merely driving my butt to work, LOL. I know legal advice is not allowed here but appreciate getting this cleared up.

Anyone wishing a depressing read, here is a link to the text of the GFSA of 1990.
The "new" Oregon laws coming from SB554 allows school districts to prohibit firearms on campus but I cannot see where it would effect the area off campus detailed in the GFSA. We would still possess a CHL which provides some exemptions. Here is the enrolled version of SB 554 for Oregon.

Edit: hit post instead of link

Anyone wishing a depressing read, here is a link to the text of the GFSA of 1990.
The "new" Oregon laws coming from SB554 allows school districts to prohibit firearms on campus but I cannot see where it would effect the area off campus detailed in the GFSA. We would still possess a CHL which provides some exemptions. Here is the enrolled version of SB 554 for Oregon.

Edit: hit post instead of link
agree with you. My only note is I can see an FFL being extra cautious trying to interpret the new law with regard to the federal law. Consider the FFL probably doesn't know if most of his customers have a CHL before he sends them off to their cars with their new guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top