JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't smack the mag (good way to induce malfunctions on an open bolt, especially with PMAGs). Instead, push it in, then pull down to make sure it's seated. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people just jam a mag in there on a closed bolt, fire, and have the mag fall out because it wasn't seated. Note that this applies to ALL rifles and pistol mags.

Don't smack the mag (good way to induce malfunctions on an open bolt, especially with PMAGs). Instead, push it in, then pull down to make sure it's seated. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people just jam a mag in there on a closed bolt, fire, and have the mag fall out because it wasn't seated. Note that this applies to ALL rifles and pistol mags.

I can agree with not smacking it (unless you can find a bigger hammer, LOL) but if I just push it in and then pull down, it falls out every time.

Remember, this is three brands of AR with a bunch of different 2 and 30 round mags.

I guess agree to disagree but smacking it is what I did and it worked fine. Never had a problem. I guess smacking it would be bad if you have something out of spec and you are forcing it but if everything is within spec it could fit snug and just need a smack. Thats what solved the problem in my old AR that had this problem. I would atleast try it. Obviously if you are having to smack it super hard, beyond what feels normal then its probably not good because something isn't aligned right and you shouldnt force it but in my case it needed a smack...I would try it and see if it just needs a little love you know. common sense required. You won't ruin your gun by giving it a try to find out... These guns are tougher than that. Dont make me post a video please...lol

If my suggestion won't work for you then you should buy a new lower thats within spec because yours is not

I guess agree to disagree but smacking it is what I did and it worked fine. Never had a problem. I guess smacking it would be bad if you have something out of spec and you are forcing it but if everything is within spec it could fit snug and just need a smack. Thats what solved the problem in my old AR that had this problem. I would atleast try it. Obviously if you are having to smack it super hard, beyond what feels normal then its probably not good because something isn't aligned right and you shouldnt force it but in my case it needed a smack...I would try it and see if it just needs a little love you know. common sense required. You won't ruin your gun by giving it a try to find out... These guns are tougher than that. Dont make me post a video please...lol

If my suggestion won't work for you then you should buy a new lower thats within spec because yours is not

The "smack" will tend to cause double feeds in PMAGs and other plastic feed lip mags (like Styer AUG) if the bolt is open.

071-311-2027 (SL1) - Load an M16-Series Rifle (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

See step 2. Tap, not slam, slap, hammer, bludgeon, or whack. In 6 years of active duty service with M-16 rifles, and 7 years of owning an AR-15, I have never had to load less than a full mag, and have used almost every mag commercially available for my rifle. I am curious as to the 3 different brands of AR that are causing this problem.
Chris

My definition of smack is probably similar to tap, lol....

I can agree with not smacking it (unless you can find a bigger hammer, LOL) but if I just push it in and then pull down, it falls out every time.

Remember, this is three brands of AR with a bunch of different 2 and 30 round mags.

Got to push it up until you hear a click...however, if this is happening to multiple magazines I'm starting to wonder if the mag catch/release needs replaced. I'd remove the upper from the lower and place a magazine in the mag well and inspect it.

Does the magazine have a lot of play? Can you yank the magazine out of the mag well after you hear the mag catch click into place? If there is nothing wrong with the mag catch I default back to the magazines...and just replace the followers.

Do you drop your mags a lot in training? Do you keep them constantly loaded for years? Do you maintain your magazines about every 6-8 months (i.e. dissassemble them, wipe them down and inspect them)?

I'm surprised to find that a lot of "gun guys" don't do any magazine maintenance....even though the magazine is usually the weekest part of the firearm (see P14 magazines).

I'm surprised to find that a lot of "gun guys" don't do any magazine maintenance....even though the magazine is usually the weekest part of the firearm (see P14 magazines).

I am with you on this one. After a couple good days at the range recently, we were cleaning guns at my buddies house. I started pulling base plates off my AR-15 mags, doing my usual routine (blow out with airgun, wipe down springs, light lube, wipe off excess.) My pal is looking at me sideways, and asks why I am doing "all that." I said, it has a spring, moving parts, and delivers my ammo to the gun. He seemed surprised, I was too as he seems like a pretty thorough gun owner.

i dont have this problem either. I run 30 in the mag and 1 in the chamber when I varmint hunt walking around the desert or woods all the time... no problem. I use P-mags and have a t15-bdx lower but it should'nt matter. I'm guessing its the tolerances on your lower reciever. Probably off by a hair somewhere. Like my buddies oly arms lower won't even lock-in a p-mag unless you shave the locking tab on the p-mag about 1/8th of an inch. Anyway... It should work for you by hitting the bottom of the mag, sort of smacking the mag up into the well. I've had to do that on an old AR15 I had and its was just stubborn a little like yours sounds like it might be. smack it... The problem you are having is not normal...AR15's are made to withstand 30+1

Yes the magazines are designed to hold 30 rounds... but the described problems that are being experienced are what leads to the common practice among alot of military units of only loading 28 rounds in a 30 round magazine. Interesting to hear about OLY lowers can experience pmag issues... I will avoid OLY lowers completely. As far as hitting the bottom of the mag that follows an adage "TAP RACK BANG"

+1 on what Riot said, you need to do maintenance on you magazines. they are the cause of virtually all of the malfunctions experienced on the range I work at.

Last Edited:
A retired military man told me that they always download magazines by a round, or two.
They have experienced the bottom plate being knocked out, when a full mag is inserted with a round in the chamber.

Its probably a good idea to run 29 in your case but I'm tellin ya my AR with billet mil-spec lower has no problem loading a full mag when locked and loaded. I strongly feel the lowers that won't do it without just a 'tap' aren't built to spec. So many commercial grade Ar's being sold these days. The AR I was referring to that had required a little more aggressive 'tap' was a commercial RRA lower

in response to the comment above about floor plates busting out, I believe it! Metal mags don't hold onto the floor plates as well as the P-mag design. I'm a true believer in the P-mag because I have put them through the test myself with 0 fail and have had probs with several different brands of metal mags...I wont run metal mags anymore...

side note about olympic arms...My buddies Oly arms also came with an out of spec bcg so bad that the cam pin will not come out because the gas key blocks it from doing so. Only way to remove the bolt from carrier is to remove the key so he just leaves it as is... I am so disguisted with Oly arms quality control I vow to own nothing of theirs...ever. Not saying every gun they make is like this but they have let guns go out that shouldn't have. buy mil-spec if you can and avoid the pain

Got to push it up until you hear a click...however, if this is happening to multiple magazines I'm starting to wonder if the mag catch/release needs replaced. I'd remove the upper from the lower and place a magazine in the mag well and inspect it.

Unless the mags are full, no problem.

Does the magazine have a lot of play? Can you yank the magazine out of the mag well after you hear the mag catch click into place? If there is nothing wrong with the mag catch I default back to the magazines...and just replace the followers.

No Play, can't yank it out.

Do you drop your mags a lot in training? Do you keep them constantly loaded for years? Do you maintain your magazines about every 6-8 months (i.e. dissassemble them, wipe them down and inspect them)?

These are all new mags of various brands including EZ Mag.

Again these are new mags and they all do the same thing - won't snap into place if full. All 30 round except 1 20 round.

Army SOP is to load 28 rounds due to seating problems and ammo popping out past feed lips. If you want to get really sexy you can remove the mag catch and file a slight angle on the BOTTOM
of the mag catch NOT THE TOP! And still load 28 rounds

Army SOP is to load 28 rounds due to seating problems and ammo popping out past feed lips. If you want to get really sexy you can remove the mag catch and file a slight angle on the BOTTOM
of the mag catch NOT THE TOP! And still load 28 rounds

I've decided that's what I'm going to do. I showed the gun to a gunsmith and he recommended the same thing. I won't be filing on it though. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top