JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I've shot thousands of rounds through my AR. I find one thing I don't care for, and am wondering if all AR's are like this?

I can't get a fresh loaded mag to snap into place if there is a round in the chamber. I have to pull the charging handle and eject the round before I can insert a fresh mag. After that, no problem. I don't care for the feature, because if I'm carrying a dozen mags, and I know the mag in the gun is getting low, I want to change mags sometimes for several reasons.

Is this normal, and if not, is there something I can do about it?

Thanks!

Cliff

I would ensure only 28 rounds are loaded in the 30 round magazines, this leaves a little more space for the magazine spring to compress making it easier to seat the magazine. Let me know if that doesn't work for you. BTW what manufacture AR / magazines?

I would ensure only 28 rounds are loaded in the 30 round magazines, this leaves a little more space for the magazine spring to compress making it easier to seat the magazine. Let me know if that doesn't work for you. BTW what manufacture AR / magazines?

Any and all brands of mags, 20 or 30 round, including the Camenga E-Z load. Brands are Del ton, Colt and DPMS. By far most rounds fired are in the Del Ton, but the others do it too.

Cliff

What makes you think I need to hit the gym?

ar15-21.jpg

What brand AR-15 are you using? I have never had that problem, and I have fired both the M-16 and my Colt AR-15. Swapping a partial mag for a fresh one during a lull in firing is part of the drill on any live fire exercise. Try the metal mil-spec mags, if that doesn't fix it, have a gunsmith look it over. A firm push should seat it with a 'click', you should not have to slam it home.
Chris

Hi, I've shot thousands of rounds through my AR. I find one thing I don't care for, and am wondering if all AR's are like this?

I can't get a fresh loaded mag to snap into place if there is a round in the chamber. I have to pull the charging handle and eject the round before I can insert a fresh mag. After that, no problem. I don't care for the feature, because if I'm carrying a dozen mags, and I know the mag in the gun is getting low, I want to change mags sometimes for several reasons.

Is this normal, and if not, is there something I can do about it?

Thanks!

Cliff

Try replacing the followers...I trust my life to the MagPul followers

I've replaced many of my magazines with the MagPul followers and have never looked back....0 problems with these magazines as well.

sounds like your mags are loaded to max capacity, which is generally higher than intended capacity. you'll find it doesn't matter if there's a round in the chamber, just if the bolt's closed. whether or not there's a round in the chamber does not effect the position of your carrier. if you want to stuff a full 30 in all your mags, you're gonna have to switch to pmags.

sounds like your mags are loaded to max capacity, which is generally higher than intended capacity. you'll find it doesn't matter if there's a round in the chamber, just if the bolt's closed. whether or not there's a round in the chamber does not effect the position of your carrier. if you want to stuff a full 30 in all your mags, you're gonna have to switch to pmags.

That makes sense. I'll pull a couple of rounds out of all my mags and try again. I have just one 20 rounder, and all the rest are 30.

i dont have this problem either. I run 30 in the mag and 1 in the chamber when I varmint hunt walking around the desert or woods all the time... no problem. I use P-mags and have a t15-bdx lower but it should'nt matter. I'm guessing its the tolerances on your lower reciever. Probably off by a hair somewhere. Like my buddies oly arms lower won't even lock-in a p-mag unless you shave the locking tab on the p-mag about 1/8th of an inch. Anyway... It should work for you by hitting the bottom of the mag, sort of smacking the mag up into the well. I've had to do that on an old AR15 I had and its was just stubborn a little like yours sounds like it might be. smack it... The problem you are having is not normal...AR15's are made to withstand 30+1

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top