JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What chambering?

• 250 Savage

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 25x47 Lapua

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 25 Creedmoore

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
I recently finished up loading for a Ruger 77 (tang safety) in .257 that had been opened to Improved. Everything in most books is pretty accurate as to what you might gain: same bullet, add about 175fps. 200 if you live on the edge.

Yes, you ARE are pushing a .25-06, but if you handload the .25-06, it pushes a Weatherby.

It was Ackley's pride and joy, and from that cartridge he believed that his technique was best proven. He gave himself very critical and negative praise for how it worked out in some other cartridges.

Still works fine in a Remington short action though, right?
my .257 Roberts is in a Remmy 722 short action. works well

.257 Roberts 003.JPG .257 Roberts 005.JPG

There is nothing wrong with the 6.5CM for what you want to do. Hopefully you are set up for reloading. You just need a lighter barrel. Don't know what your budget is, but a carbon fiber barrel and a grayboe chassis-stock would put you in the game very nicely. Top it off with a 3-18 and you are good to 1000.

There is nothing wrong with the 6.5CM for what you want to do. Hopefully you are set up for reloading. You just need a lighter barrel. Don't know what your budget is, but a carbon fiber barrel and a grayboe chassis-stock would put you in the game very nicely. Top it off with a 3-18 and you are good to 1000
Realistically, my 30-06 does what I want to do just fine as well. For the last 8 years or so, it and my Marlin 336 have been my only big game guns. This isn't about need though, it's about desire.

I wouldn't be considering any of these chamberings if I didn't reload.

My budget is to get whatever I need to make whatever I desire to work.

Realistically, my 30-06 does what I want to do just fine as well. For the last 8 years or so, it and my Marlin 336 have been my only big game guns. This isn't about need though, it's about desire.

I wouldn't be considering any of these chamberings if I didn't reload.

My budget is to get whatever I need to make whatever I desire to work.
Total respect. I run a 6.5PRC in a spendy chassis for popping steel at a mile. Do I need this? No, but I sure as heck wanted it. Whatever make you happy... life's too short not to have good toys.

I chuckled at the couple of references here that seemed to suggest that for certain open country game or certain (reasonable) ranges of a hunting shot, one should be needing a .25-06 or more for this project.

50 years with the .250-3000 would allow such advocates to learn something different.

The cartridge will do EVERYTHING and fulfill every requirement and stipulation originally made by the OP. In spades.

There is a great deal of very good discussion going on, and I feel a little obliged to cast in my .02
I have all three, the 250, 257 bob and the 25-06.

The newest acquisition has been the savage, in the original savage 99. A very neat cartridge, I size up 22-250 and have been happy with it. The bullets have been 87 gr sp, 100 gr sp. Both have been excellent to work with, but I haven't shot enough of it to really take it to the limits but feel I am pretty close to it. OP-excellent choice.

The "Bob" is quickly becoming my favorite quarter-bore. It is in a featherweight xtr Win M70, after the initial load-development I took it with as a backup rifle for deer season and had to use it. Performance was stellar! In my humble opinion it is the Goldilocks of the quarter bore.

Finally- the 25-06: It is a custom I had built when I was younger and thought I could pack it up and down the hills all day. What a foolish decision! 26" light target barrel on a Ruger M77 tang. Shoots lights out, but is just too heavy to be a good choice for all day hunts. Because of the weight, the recoil is very light.

Of the three- and assuming I was only able to keep one of the rifles. It would hands-down be the Bob.
I want to apologize for making your decision that much harder as all of the quarters are a decent choice, but maybe this will start whittling down the final choice.
Best wishes and a happy new year to all!
Zingger

Twenty-Fives I have known (and a couple I'd like to):

1642441885199.jpeg
Left to right:

.25-20 WCF (this loaded for a Stevens Model 44 Single Shot).
.25-20 Single Shot (loaded for a Winchester 1885 High-Wall Sporting Rifle)
.256 Winchester Magnum
.25-223 (or .25x45) This one is a "dream cartridge" mock-up only. No experience with it.
.25-35 Winchester
.25 Bullberry (as loaded for the Contender Pistol)
.25 Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge
.250-3000 Savage
.25 Souper (another "dream cartridge" mock-up. I still want one.)
.257 Roberts
,257 Roberts Ackley Improved
.25-06 Remington
.25-06 Ackley Improved (I have shot a friend's gun, do not own one).
.257 Colton Magnum
.257 Weatherby Magnum

All but the .25-20 WCF, the dream cartridges, the .25-06 AI, and the Colton have taken big game for me. (The Colton is too new for me: it goes to work in October.)

The .250-3000 has taken more big game for me than all the others put together.

I'm not doing another Ackley, I'm not doing another Ackley, I'm not doing another Ackley...

I know it's supposed to be Ackley's favorite, but I just got started with the "regular" one.

Twenty-Fives I have known (and a couple I'd like to):

View attachment 1109590

All but the .25-20 WCF, the dream cartridges, the .25-06 AI, and the Colton have taken big game for me. (The Colton is too new for me: it goes to work in October.)

The .250-3000 has taken more big game for me than all the others put together.
The Savage was on the radar, but Ol'Bob popped up.
In Bi-Mart Saturday there was a 250 Savage die set, but none for the 257 Roberts.

The Colton should be a rocket. Have you been working with it yet?

The Savage was on the radar, but Ol'Bob popped up.
In Bi-Mart Saturday there was a 250 Savage die set, but none for the 257 Roberts.

The Colton should be a rocket. Have you been working with it yet?
The Colton is center stage right now on the (loading and shooting) benches. Appears to send a 100gr Ballistic Tip 3400fps comfortably. Still a work in progress.

I can't believe a set of .250 Savage dies showed up retail! Gonna be the puppy in the window nobody takes home, even though it would be the best dog anybody ever had.

For some reason, I had it in my mind that the 'Bob was too long for a short action. I knew it was shorter than an '06 case, but thought it was longer than a 308 case. That's not true!

Looking at load data, the 257 AI comes pretty damn close to a 25-06, easily within 50fps with most loads.

That could revive this little project.
the BoB is 7x57 case necked down

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class