JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What chambering?

• 250 Savage

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 25x47 Lapua

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 25 Creedmoore

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
I bought a Remington 700 ADL Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor a couple years ago with the thought of getting into some long range shooting just for poops and bellyaches. Well, that's never going to happen at this point.

I have no use for the 6.5 Creed, nor the ridiculously heavy 26" barrel on it. But, I have been wanting a 25 caliber in the stable for pronghorn and light bodied deer for some time. I was looking at getting a .25-06, but maybe I can make something useful out of this ADL instead.

It will likely be put into a Grayboe Terrian or Outlander stock. Scope is undecided, but probably a Leupold, Trijicon or Nightforce.

I'm leaning heavily towards doing a RemAge barrel nut system.

I'd like to be able to launch 75gr - 98gr Hammer Hunter or Shock Hammer bullets @ 3000fps. I'd likely go with a 1:9 twist, unless there's a compelling reason otherwise.

As far as chamber, I've been looking at short action quarter bores and have come up with the 250 Savage, 25x47 Lapua and 25 Creedmoor.

Which would you pick and why?

Or is this a stupid idea overall? Should I just sell it and get a proper .25-06?

I have a 25-06 and love the caliber but wish I had a 1:9 or 1:8 twist. I would hands down still get the 25-06 over the others but with a faster twist, you can stabilize the heavier Hammers or other longer projectiles for longer range hunting like pronghorns.

I have a 25-06 and love the caliber but wish I had a 1:9 or 1:8 twist. I would hands down still get the 25-06 over the others but with a faster twist, you can stabilize the heavier Hammers or other longer projectiles for longer range hunting like pronghorns.
I use 110gr Accubonds running @ 3500fps with great results. Barrel from Shilen

I use 110gr Accubonds running @ 3500fps with great results. Barrel from Shilen
Thats a traditional lead core, the OP mentioned using Hammers which the heavier ones say they need a faster twist. I could be wrong, but it seems a 25-06 with a faster twist is more versatile for big game hunting projectiles than the common 1:10 twist?

Thats a traditional lead core, the OP mentioned using Hammers which the heavier ones say they need a faster twist. I could be wrong, but it seems a 25-06 with a faster twist is more versatile for big game hunting projectiles than the common 1:10 twist?
Possibly. I've not tried Hammers, but have tried similar bullets by Barnes and can't get them to group to my satisfaction. I really don't get their appeal other than making tree-huggers happy. 120gr is about as big as .257 bullets get, so I would thing a faster twist makes more sense. I used to shoot 100gr NBT and killed a lot of deer. I move up to the Accubonds because I figured after 30 years I should maybe try to keep up.

Possibly. I've not tried Hammers, but have tried similar bullets by Barnes and can't get them to group to my satisfaction. I really don't get their appeal other than making tree-huggers happy.
Heavyweight performance on game with lighter bullets, reliable expansion, penetration and weight retention is the appeal. They just flat out perform. I use them in my '06 with outstanding results.

120gr is about as big as .257 bullets get,
130gr+ is becoming more popular. Berger, Hammer and Ace make 130gr+ bullets.

so I would thing a faster twist makes more sense. I used to shoot 100gr NBT and killed a lot of deer. I move up to the Accubonds because I figured after 30 years I should maybe try to keep up.
Seems like you still might be a hair behind ;) Not that there's anything wrong with that. If it works, keep using it! No reason to change just for the sake of change.

Possibly. I've not tried Hammers, but have tried similar bullets by Barnes and can't get them to group to my satisfaction. I really don't get their appeal other than making tree-huggers happy. 120gr is about as big as .257 bullets get, so I would thing a faster twist makes more sense. I used to shoot 100gr NBT and killed a lot of deer. I move up to the Accubonds because I figured after 30 years I should maybe try to keep up.
I'm getting good groups with Barnes TTSX.The thing about monolithics isn't the environmental debate but they have been working really well on game. I'm favoring the Barnes because it reliably expands rather than disintegrates, but I also hunt elk with my 25...
They make heavier options for the 25 now that open up more big game potential in the quarterbores, Nosferatu clarified it well enough above.

Interesting timing for this thread. I shot my new to me 257 Roberts today. I've been curious about this bullet diameter for a while and likely would have purchased a 25-06 just because I love the 30-06, but a sweet little Roberts popped up a month or so ago.
Looking forward to Chrono time and load development. This one should prove to be a lot of fun and will likely become my grandson's deer rifle.

I would call FOUL on this survey for preferential presentation of the .250-3000 Cartridge as the first VISUALLY PRESENTED, listed choice for the voter...

Except that It was my choice anyway, and is of course the correct choice.

Interesting timing for this thread. I shot my new to me 257 Roberts today. I've been curious about this bullet diameter for a while and likely would have purchased a 25-06 just because I love the 30-06, but a sweet little Roberts popped up a month or so ago.
Looking forward to Chrono time and load development. This one should prove to be a lot of fun and will likely become my grandson's deer rifle.
For some reason, I had it in my mind that the 'Bob was too long for a short action. I knew it was shorter than an '06 case, but thought it was longer than a 308 case. That's not true!

Looking at load data, the 257 AI comes pretty damn close to a 25-06, easily within 50fps with most loads.

That could revive this little project.

For some reason, I had it in my mind that the 'Bob was too long for a short action. I knew it was shorter than an '06 case, but thought it was longer than a 308 case. That's not true!

Looking at load data, the 257 AI comes pretty damn close to a 25-06, easily within 50fps with most loads.

That could revive this little project.
My 257 Roberts was a Ruger 77 and used a long action, which I appreciated. The long action to me is an advantage of those "in between" size rounds because it gives more flexibility for cartridge length for that specific rifle.

Well, the only right answer is I need a Bob AND a 25-06.
My Ruger was a lightweight tang safety carbine and very handy. Unfortunately at that time Ruger was outsourcing barrels and so it would string shots as the barrel warmed. I loved the rifle, but not that barrel. I wish now that I had gotten it rebarreled instead. It may have even been a simple matter of free floating since it was the days where that was still a debate.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top