JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I'm looking for a good anvil for forging knife blades. I have numerous guns in my collection that might work out well in a trade deal. I'm looking for other tools of the trade as well like steel, hammers, tongs etc. Let me know if you or a friend might have what I'm after! Thanks!

Decent anvils are rare in our part of the country.
I sold mine a few years ago for what I thought was a reasonable price, thinking I'd replace it when i needed it again. But the used anvil market had skyrocketed in the last few years! I blame the forged in fire TV show.
Try looking for hunks of tool steel at scrap yards.
I bought a 6" diameter steel bar, about 12"long and stuck it in a stump. It works ok for what little forging I do these days.
If I was to tool up again I'd probably just bite the bullet and buy a new anvil, or get a solid block milled to my dimensions and harden the work surface.
You can find tongs and hammers on Ebay, sometimes at reasonable prices. Get some good tongs, I can't emphasize this enough. You need to be able to control the steel on both ends.
Start with some wolf jaw and blade smithing tongs, that'll get you pretty far right there with just those two. Ive modified some farrier nail nippers for holding hot work which I use a lot, they're pretty nice for holding flat bar.
Start with one or two good hammers, maybe lighter to begin with, working your way heavier. I have a 2.5 lb hofi hammer that like a lot for moving metal, but if I'm not in shape for it, it kills me!
Gotta get creative! Good luck.
I'm not a pro smith by any means, but if you have any questions just ask, I'll help if I can.

Decent anvils are rare in our part of the country.
I sold mine a few years ago for what I thought was a reasonable price, thinking I'd replace it when i needed it again. But the used anvil market had skyrocketed in the last few years! I blame the forged in fire TV show.
Try looking for hunks of tool steel at scrap yards.
I bought a 6" diameter steel bar, about 12"long and stuck it in a stump. It works ok for what little forging I do these days.
If I was to tool up again I'd probably just bite the bullet and buy a new anvil, or get a solid block milled to my dimensions and harden the work surface.
You can find tongs and hammers on Ebay, sometimes at reasonable prices. Get some good tongs, I can't emphasize this enough. You need to be able to control the steel on both ends.
Start with some wolf jaw and blade smithing tongs, that'll get you pretty far right there with just those two. Ive modified some farrier nail nippers for holding hot work which I use a lot, they're pretty nice for holding flat bar.
Start with one or two good hammers, maybe lighter to begin with, working your way heavier. I have a 2.5 lb hofi hammer that like a lot for moving metal, but if I'm not in shape for it, it kills me!
Gotta get creative! Good luck.
I'm not a pro smith by any means, but if you have any questions just ask, I'll help if I can.
I really appreciate your input...It's nice to have a community of guys that are willing to share knowledge and especially lessons learned! I will definitely put your recommendations to good use! And I agree on the tv show making everyone snatch up the old gear.

Haha, reading back through that it sounds like a tutorial! Sorry for the novel, wish I had more resources for you.
Another route to take, not as fun as banging on hot steel, but this is what I do now mostly.
Buy bar stock and grind your blades out on a belt grinder.
I made a living for many years using this method.
I have a couple programmable kilns for heat treating that get very little use anymore.
If you'd like to do some heat treating, PM me and we can work something out.

Haha, reading back through that it sounds like a tutorial! Sorry for the novel, wish I had more resources for you.
Another route to take, not as fun as banging on hot steel, but this is what I do now mostly.
Buy bar stock and grind your blades out on a belt grinder.
I made a living for many years using this method.
I have a couple programmable kilns for heat treating that get very little use anymore.
If you'd like to do some heat treating, PM me and we can work something out.
I definitely need a kiln...my dad made knives in the 80's exclusively with 440C but he sent out for heat treat...Pittsburgh was full of good places back then. Anyway, I been wanting to get into knife making for a long time and started putting together my little shop. My dad has the bug again now and he and I are getting after it. He's 77 going on 40 so he's been anxious. I started a knife already out of 440C but I'll be trying all kinds of steels...see pics. Are you interested in selling or trading a kiln? If not, I'd be interested in having you do a few batches at least. Thanks again! IMG_5708.jpg IMG_5672.jpg IMG_5678.jpg IMG_5679.jpg IMG_5706.jpg IMG_5707.jpg IMG_5709.jpg IMG_5710.jpg

I definitely need a kiln...my dad made knives in the 80's exclusively with 440C but he sent out for heat treat...Pittsburgh was full of good places back then. Anyway, I been wanting to get into knife making for a long time and started putting together my little shop. My dad has the bug again now and he and I are getting after it. He's 77 going on 40 so he's been anxious. I started a knife already out of 440C but I'll be trying all kinds of steels...see pics. Are you interested in selling or trading a kiln? If not, I'd be interested in having you do a few batches at least. Thanks again!View attachment 578297 View attachment 578298 View attachment 578299 View attachment 578300 View attachment 578301 View attachment 578302 View attachment 578303 View attachment 578304
Yeah man, you're off to a good start there!
Can't sell any kilns right now, but I'd be glad run some batches for you. I even have a liquid nitrogen dewar for cryo treatment, but I don't have a nitrogen supply right now.
I used to make knives for a living, but now it's just a hobby. I enjoy helping people get started in the habit!
20170224_153308.jpg IMG_20170405_104851_854.jpg

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.