JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup. I much prefer a loading stand and they really aren't all that spendy. Not just to minimize wear and tear on your firearm, but you get MUCH better load consistency... not to mention... it's incredibly easier and less messy. :D
Yea I was thinking about the easier and less messy part, especially if u had more than one cylinder (but I'm just guessing no experience personally). I didn't know they made stands for that. I'll have to try to find one. Thx!

Ps multiple cylinders reminds me of pale rider movie where his belt had holders for extra cylinders.

How about making a chain gun where you could load multiple cylinders (Fe like this muzzleloader chain gun but use cylinders instead of single shot). Just crazy idea for fun. No intention of ever trying to make something like that. They should make it for a Hollywood western or dead red video game. :p
8390CCE8-A6A6-45AB-86F6-1BC6DC1776C6.png

Last Edited:
My favorite Cap and Ball revolver is the 1858 New Model Remington in .44cal. I've owned a couple of them for 41 years now. The Lyman I bought originally was piss poor for accuracy the Navy Arms I have now is pretty good. If I load it right it groups very well at 10 yards And I've even taken a few Rabbits with it (though I shot a WHOLE lot more times then I hit)
Have you ever seen a fluted cylinder on that gun? I have seen two different kinds (one where flutes go part way and another where the whole thing is fluted). I'm wondering if it would look weird or not. I can't find pics anywhere. Only of the cylinders themselves not with them installed on gun.

While Clint Eastwood looks so bejeezus cool swapping cylinders on the ol' cap and ball, It is my strong recommendation that for best longevity (and reliable enjoyment) of the gun, such not be a regular practice.

Such dismantling of the gun should occur for the cleaning regimen. Unless you are Clint Eastwood, proper care of your gun would limit such "combat swaps" to the rare show.

Also: the pawl learns the cylinder. and performs best with the one it knows.

If they didn't wear out, we'd all be shootin' the hell outta originals.

Received the Remington new army pistol today. I'm happy with the case colors. I checked that the hammer fit in the safety notches well and was glad they did. I had heard some of them had issues with hammer not fitting in the notches right (don't know what brand that was though). This one came in aTaylor's and Co bag and box. Action seems good to me.

Last Edited:
Sooo.. what are you doing inside wasting time talking to US???? Go get your smoke cloud on!!šŸ¤£
Man I would be at the range tomorrow if I could. But apparently it's a 4 hour round trip to get black powder. It's either that or pay $36.50 shipping for one pound online and then pay more shipping for all the other stuff needed. I don't know when I'm going to have time for that drive tbh.

A very strong gun.

You got a pretty one. I'd be real curious to see if anything on it is "not on the regular menu" (from Uberti) as a result of Taylor's being the marketer.
Of course Taylor's buys and supplies "run o' the mill" Ubertis as well.

Case colors on that one are startling.

Swap your nipples for aftermarket ones specifically for our standard #11 caps. (See "Track of the Wolf") BUT: "Number Eleven Cap" is not even really a standard.
You will experiment and discover what your gun (with improved nipples) digests best in the cap department.

With a revolver, I prefer a snug cap that remains intact and attached after ignition. This allows continued function of the machine, especially because Murphy dictates fragments of a ruptured cap fall directly down: into the mechanism of the gun.

With my cap-and-ball rifles, I prefer a cap that blasts itself completely out of the ignition recess: allowing for a fast (single shot) reload.

Fitment varies. Characteristics of ignition (and structural result from such) also vary. And now, supplies are pretty low to be experimenting.
But you have to.

A very strong gun.

You got a pretty one. I'd be real curious to see if anything on it is "not on the regular menu" (from Uberti) as a result of Taylor's being the marketer.
Of course Taylor's buys and supplies "run o' the mill" Ubertis as well.

Case colors on that one are startling.
Could be regular run of the mill uberti? Midway did not mention Taylor's at all in their description and I was surprised to see Taylor's box and bag. Also I noticed there is polyurethane on the brass grip screw/nut (the orange color in pic) and I think if it had more QC they would have removed that left over polyurethane coating. But I literally have no idea and only guessing as I know next to nothing about these.

Last Edited:
Is there any alternative to percussion caps? I have been to 4 stores this morning and checked probably 8-10 online places and the caps don't exist as far as I can tell. They aren't avail at all. I guess I need to make my own somehow? Any ideas on alternatives? Frustrating to say the least... I assume cut down 22 shells with powder removed would be too wide in diameter to fit on the nipple (I realize they won't fit tight unless you pinch them but I mean are they too wide to even go onto the nipple)?

The only other things I can think of might be to cut up some shotgun shells and push out the primers but I don't know if those would fit? What about if musket caps are available can I cut off the corners and use those?

Last Edited:
I have been to 4 stores this morning and checked probably 8-10 online places and the caps don't exist
You need #11's? Depending on where you live or how far you're willing to drive I probably have a few I can spare. At least enough to take her for a few spins around the block.

Last Edited:
Or maybe not. Someone was just looking at them and said they are "vintage", no longer made and worth a little money.

CVA's in the blue embossed pastic 100ct rounds. Made in Italy. Anything special about them I don't know? LOL

I have some other "less ancient" CCI's though.

Is there any alternative to percussion caps? I have been to 4 stores this morning and checked probably 8-10 online places and the caps don't exist as far as I can tell. They aren't avail at all. I guess I need to make my own somehow? Any ideas on alternatives? Frustrating to say the least... I assume cut down 22 shells with powder removed would be too wide in diameter to fit on the nipple (I realize they won't fit tight unless you pinch them but I mean are they too wide to even go onto the nipple)?

The only other things I can think of might be to cut up some shotgun shells and push out the primers but I don't know if those would fit? What about if musket caps are available can I cut off the corners and use those?
Andy of the patient reply, please step in here.

Please don't do any of that.

You gotta use percussion caps.
You can change the nipples to fit different sizes , like #10 or #11...so maybe order a spare set of nipples , so you can can use whatever comes in , back in stock.
Andy

Darn! Looks like black powder shooting is closed for new shooters that don't have a stock of percussion caps on hand. It's too bad cuz there are some cool guns out there. Rather than selling mine I just now bought a conversion cylinder to 45 LC. At least that way it won't be a wall hanger and I can actually shoot it. I asked the manager at sportsman's warehouse when I was there if they will be getting more caps in and he said he couldn't remember the last time they had them on the shelf. :( Unless someone develops alternative caps or production significantly increases there aren't going to be any more BP shooters cuz everyone will be in the same boat that I am. Anyone new to the sport that buys them will give up and sell or store in back of the safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top