JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm interested in buying one of these but when I asked about cleaning BP guns on an earlier thread someone on here said you have to put a black powder gun in the oven to get it clean so I have completely avoided muzzleloaders.

Is this hard to clean? Do I have to put it in the oven? (There is no way I would mess with that).

What are the chances for a chain fire with this type of gun?

Thanks in advance for any info!

B6A07847-29E8-4FD4-82E3-3238CEE474B1.jpeg

In my experience....
Muzzle loaders are easy to clean.
Take the firearm apart....Clean it first with water.....
I prefer , warm soapy water...but at times have just used water , even water , straight from a creek or river.
Then I dry the firearm.....
After than I give it a light coating of oil.

Then check in a few days for rust....
However....
I only use black powder.
If you use a black powder substitute ....I have found that it will rust in a matter of hours.
Clean it right away.

As for a chain fire...
Well...than can happen...in my experience it does not happen often enough to really worry about.
With that said...
Use a proper size round ball...and lube the cylinder face...and it won't be an issue at all.
Andy

I prefer , warm soapy water...
Pretty much all there is to it. Warm soapy water is slick as snot...

I've never had mine chain fire and don't know first hand of any, but I "hear" it can happen.

In my experience....
Muzzle loaders are easy to clean.
I prefer , warm soapy water...but at times have just used water , even water , straight from a creek or river.

Then check in a few days for rust....
However....
I only use black powder.
If you use a black powder substitute ....I have found that it will rust in a matter of hours.
Clean it right away.

As for a chain fire...
Well...than can happen...in my experience it does not happen often enough to really worry about.
With that said...
Use a proper size round ball...and lube the cylinder face...and it won't be an issue at all.
Andy
Pretty much all there is to it. Warm soapy water is slick as snot...

I've never had mine chain fire and don't know first hand of any, but I "hear" it can happen.
Great info thx! I didn't know if lack of a barrel impacted chance to chain fire or not. No experience with muzzle loaders.

Great news on cleaning. The oven baking thing doesn't make sense to me but I don't know anything about it.

I think I'll get one of these they r so cheap. Tempted to buy the 1858 revolving carbine but it's over 2x the cost.

Thx!

You are very welcome
Yep no need for an oven...unless you are going to make some jerky to go with your revolver...:D

Please ask let me know if I can answer any other questions...Happy to add to the confusion...:eek: :D
Andy

Cool thx. If u know if some type of starter kit with only basics let me know.

Biggest problem is I just looked at midway and they have like 10 different kinds of these pietta replicas available. And they r all pretty cheap. This is a big problem... how to choose just one? ;)

I like this one for $260

44C7C7EA-E236-41FA-B8EF-0735FEB049BD.jpeg

The 1851 Navy is a excellent revolver...the frame and overall size influenced the design of the Colt SAA.
Pietta makes a quality gun...not quite right historically with minor things...but a good gun nevertheless.
Andy

I'm extremely partial to the '51 Navy 36 cal, too. Absolutely LOVE mine! Picking up a spare cylinder would't hurt, either.

Of all the replica manufacturers, Uberti is the best. (I believe recently Pietta and Uberti merged, but not sure if quality merged with them).

Certain marketers (Cimmaron, Taylor's) commission special runs (guns not on Uberti's normal list of offerings), and they also will add "finishing touches" to Uberti guns. (Engraving, higher polish, etc.).

For general pleasure shooting of a true-to-form replica percussion pistol, my pick would be an Uberti 1851 Navy model. .36 caliber. I have two Navys: one is an Uberti, and the other is a 2nd Generation Colt (they produced these about 20 years ago, and mine is in the box unfired: they are a rarity in replicas, in that they actually gain value being a real Colt).

My Uberti, however gets shot pretty regularly. Recently a buddy revived my interest in doing so, and we refreshed our "possibles" (the pile of stuff you need to shoot and maintain these guns).

If you are not concerned with absolute authenticity, the best cap-and-ball pistol ever made is a Ruger Old Army, .44 caliber. Not made anymore, but still available used, prices going up. This is a "general" copy of a Remington pistol, but with modern coil spring works, strong frame, adjustable sights, etc. Even in stainless if desired. "Where old meets new", basically.

My preferences for the 1851 Navy are purely aesthetic and historic: I like the octagon barrel better than the round barrel on the Army model, and its what Jesse James carried early in his career (in a brace of two in shoulder holsters).

Wild Bill Hickock carried Navy Colt's until his death, even when cartridge guns were readily available. Accounts by others in Deadwood insist that Hickock would step a short distance from town and "clear" his pistols each and every morning (shoot them), then meticulously clean them and reload them. Most of the town would turn out to watch this portion of his "morning constitution",

So, shop around, give preference to Uberti for quality, and the best thing is, the Post Office will bring your gun to your door (because as everyone knows, these guns simply cannot be as dangerous as any other firearm and are therefore exempt from restrictions). Take your time deciding, and you'll probably end up with more than one eventually (I also have an 1862 Police Model).

There is a modest list of what is called"possibles" (translate: "necessities") required to operate these guns.

Soapy water is tried and true for cleaning. Thorough drying is imperative. Formula 409 eats blackpowder for breakfast if you want to super-charge your cleaning.

1648085218669.jpeg

Last Edited:
Timely thread...
I just bought a Uberti 1851 Navy Copy...its the "London" model.
This one was marketed by Taylor's ,....I have not shot it yet...but it looks and feels great.

I agree that Uberti makes a fine gun...a better gun than Pietta , in my opinion.
With that said...As i noted in a earlier post here...Pietta makes a good gun as well.

The '51 Navy had a longish time span and a long list of historic use and users.
It was and is a fine shooter and not to be trifled with.
Andy

its a complete kit....and you assemble...some experience in building muzzle loaders is helpful.
I like 'em...but I also don't think that they are beginner friendly.
Andy
Ah good to know thx. Only place I found a Baker rifle repro that is not smoothbore but I have only researched it for a short time.

They also have a nock volley gun but its spendy ($2150). I like pepperboxes, especially when they are that big and all barrels shoot at once. Maybe they have some small pepperboxes on their site somewhere I'll have to research it.

Just for kicks... my pepperbox up on the right there and a few of his buddies. ;)

View attachment 1162143
Nice! I like this one but it costs more than the pietta. This isn't a pedersoli but I think pedersoli still makes a Bp howdah. They always seems to me to be inflated in price though. Seems like they cost about 1/3 to 1/2 more than they should (probably due to low production numbers?). I like the flintlock better anyway than the howdah all other things being equal.

096CC2FD-2B05-4C6B-BD2C-594F189A37C7.jpeg

I would be interested in that 7 barreled gun kit (despite the cost) if I knew what was involved. Fe if I had to weld the 7 barrels together that's beyond my skills.

Last Edited:
Just for kicks... my pepperbox up on the right there and a few of his buddies. ;)

View attachment 1162143
You know a crazy idea just occurred to me. I wonder if someone could create an intentional chain fire with a pepperbox revolver like the pietta shown below. For example if u modified the caps so they have slots or notches that allow sparks to enter the other nipple holes. Seems like it would work with some experimentation. My guess is a person would have to hog out the nipple holes or something to make it work reliably. Six barrels with one trigger pull would be cool. You know, if it doesn't blow up I mean. :p
F9E541AC-F041-42D4-BFDB-424D214B131A.jpeg

My favorite Cap and Ball revolver is the 1858 New Model Remington in .44cal. I've owned a couple of them for 41 years now. The Lyman I bought originally was piss poor for accuracy the Navy Arms I have now is pretty good. If I load it right it groups very well at 10 yards And I've even taken a few Rabbits with it (though I shot a WHOLE lot more times then I hit)

Ordered the uberti new army Remington (ie "1858"). My main thought is the ability to use conversion cylinders for 45LC if desired in future and I'll probably end up getting a Remington 1866 (ie "1858") carbine in the future anyway so I will already have an extra cylinder (and possibly conversion cylinder) if I get one of those. Have never shot any of them so just going on research.

Still might be worth getting the pietta pepperbox or 1851 just cuz they r so cheap and I like the looks better than the "1858".

It was darn hard to find any real images of a case hardened one so hopefully it will look good. I assume uberti uses the chemical case hardening method not the real old school type? Cap and ball has some images but these are pro wuality pics and he sells them so of course would use a good sample for photos and may not be representative I don't know.

86652251-CC2C-40A9-8B3F-C13D234E08F6.png
A1A3FEE1-4F0A-48C8-9145-3960B388BA09.png
I'm thinking of loading cylinder when removed from the gun to avoid wear on the plunger (ie help prevent It from drooping during firing). But again have never used, just thinking it may help long term?

Last Edited:
I'm thinking of loading cylinder when removed from the gun to avoid wear on the plunger (ie help prevent It from drooping during firing). But again have never used, just thinking it may help long term?
Yup. I much prefer a loading stand and they really aren't all that spendy. Not just to minimize wear and tear on your firearm, but you get MUCH better load consistency... not to mention... it's incredibly easier and less messy. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top