JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I traded for a slightly used SIG P229 about 10 years ago.

It looks the most like the current M11-A1. No under rails.

I have read from time to time that some P229s can be converted to .357 SIG, or .40 S&W simply by dropping in those barrels? That might be interesting to do, although I prefer std. military chamberings like 9mm or .45 ACP, so if I can't not a big deal - it would just be a "nice to have".

What I do really want is a threaded barrel - which I do not have. I would like to have this gun be a suppressor host. But I am not sure what barrel would get me there.

I would not mind having a .22 conversion either, although I am not a huge fan of those; I think for the cost (and maybe a little more) a good .22 handgun like a Buckmark would actually be better.

Feedback fro SIG "experts"?

TIA

I think we will need more information to help. Is the slide stamped or milled? Does it take 13 or 15 round 9mm mags? They used to make different 9mm and 40/357 P229 frames with different widths.

Definitely milled slide (I do not think any 229s had stamped slides) marked "stainless". Alloy frame. DA/SA. The SIG mag is marked 13, the Mecgars are not marked. The frame has Exeter markings.

Apparently, after 2011, SIG P229s in 9mm could accept .357 and .40 mags, but not before, because the frame for the 9mm was slightly smaller in the magwell.

SIG Sauer P226 - Wikipedia

My P229 was made before 2011, more like before 2009 or 2008, because that is roughly when I traded for it.

So I can't switch to .357 or .40, but I can get the threaded barrel.

Heavy 9mm are still subsonic, so it should work as well for a suppressor host.

Personally, I own 3 or 4 .22 conversions and zero reason to own a dedicated .22 pistol. The conversions will probably never shoot as accurately, or be as reliable as a something like a buckmark or ruger target pistol. But I neither of those traits are worth much to me in a .22 pistol. Using the triggers on my carry guns is however.

Yes - I am thinking 147 gr. subsonics

I have more rimfire guns than any other kind, three or four are pistols and one a revolver. I rarely carry on my person, and I don't shoot that much, so using full power ammo for practice is not a burden for me.

So a 22 conversion that costs as much as a dedicated 22 pistol just does not really make much sense for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top