JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the past month or so, the new tv show "The legend of Mick Dodge" has been on "Nat Geo" and it's either such an overwhelming flow of bushwa,,,,,or its so great,,,,but I've got to admit I admire him walking through the Hoh Forest barefoot and not cutting up his feet too badly.

Any thoughts on Mr. Dodge?

I have lived in Washington a long time and never heard of the guy. Started watching the show and it is good entertainment, but doubt he actually stays out there full time.

He is different. I wouldn't say crazy, if that's what he wants to do more power to him....it must be liberating in a since but in the only episode I watched he was trying to scare campers in a mask and furs.....good way to get you're a$$ handed to you or shot by someone genuinely scared. Then he was on his way fishing , ate all the perfect bait on his way and swam around till he found a spinner lure to use, without a reel.......seems kinda dumb

He is different. I wouldn't say crazy, if that's what he wants to do more power to him....it must be liberating in a since but in the only episode I watched he was trying to scare campers in a mask and furs.....good way to get you're a$$ handed to you or shot by someone genuinely scared. Then he was on his way fishing , ate all the perfect bait on his way and swam around till he found a spinner lure to use, without a reel.......seems kinda dumb

That's pretty much how I see it- I just wanted to compare notes as it were. But it's hard to fake going into water that cold, and the cameraman going in last night to "shower off" with the GoPro? That popping sound I'm sure the young man heard in his ears was his manhood desperately trying to reach the INSIDEs of his stomach! :s0114:

Last Edited:
*Seriously said* The episode last night where they supposedly scared the poachers? Unfortunately they're right. The poachers have done a great deal of damage- and cedar rustlers rank right up there with whale poo as far as I'm concerned. In fact about 35 years ago cedar rustling had gotten so bad that you had to have a license to move more than 12" of it. Its a law in Washington state that everyone has ignored but still it's good it's there "just in case". Maple IS valuable for instrument makers IF they can get a certain cut.

Didn't see it. If your hungry and your family is hungry that's one thing, if you kill for a head, your a waist of skin.

Thats the problem- Mr. Dodge showed where an old growth maple had been cut down, they only took roughly 8 feet of the butt of the tree and left the rest to rot. If they had taken the rest of the tree and bolted it up into firewood I could at least see that to feed their family.

Like you said- kill for the head is wrong. Kill to feed your family? Well, I do sympathize with those who've done it.

I was in the army- back at Fort Bragg- and I found out that my Dad got caught "spotlighting" and he'd poached a deer. Stood before the Judge, was fined $50 and court costs and told "please don't get caught again"- it was right after Ronald Regan had cut his disability from 1200 a month down to $350 a month. If I had known that I would/could have sent money from my Army paycheck but nobody told me until years later.

How do you yell at your Dad for letting his pride get in the way of common sense? Seriously? Thus family takes care of family,,,

I was in the army- back at Fort Bragg- and I found out that my Dad got caught "spotlighting" and he'd poached a deer. Stood before the Judge, was fined $50 and court costs and told "please don't get caught again"- it was right after Ronald Regan had cut his disability from 1200 a month down to $350 a month. If I had known that I would/could have sent money from my Army paycheck but nobody told me until years later.

Yeah, some people wont let you know they are hurting, especially that generation.....just suck it up and find a way to provide, no hand out , no feeling sorry for yourself just find a way and he did. By law wrong because of abuse by a few, morally if utilized and not wasted in my eyes its as natural as rain for a human to kill food and survive....when your down and out that is

I admire how much freedom he has. Having spent quite a bit of time in the forest here in SW Washington I am unsure how he does it full time, or even IF he does. Seems it would be VERY difficult. I do know we have squatters living in the PNW forests, as I have come across them on more than one occasion.

Would be a tough few days here this week back in Gifford Pinchot for example.

As far as being " crazy " , I have yet to meet someone that wasn't, at least a little... I eat dinner nightly with quirkier people.

:)

I'm with Stomper, I think he's funny.

Havent seen it, will try and watch it. I used to mine cedar up near Forks. We had a USFS lease. Tough way to make a buck. We still hold a few mining claims but never scored big with them. Barely paid for fuel. Personally I dont see him living out there fulltime ala Grizzly Adams. If you are a prepper and thats part of your plan I suggest you go try living out there a few weeks in winter and see how you like it. I would die.

Havent seen it, will try and watch it. I used to mine cedar up near Forks. We had a USFS lease. Tough way to make a buck. We still hold a few mining claims but never scored big with them. Barely paid for fuel. Personally I dont see him living out there fulltime ala Grizzly Adams. If you are a prepper and thats part of your plan I suggest you go try living out there a few weeks in winter and see how you like it. I would die.

Well, like he said to the Peninsula Daily New's when interviewed- "Its not 100% accurate". And he did say he DID have a house- I have two theories: 1)His buddy "Carl" is his partner or 2)"Cedar" the woman is not only his partner but his Le' Femme' fatal.

Having said that I did find his fathers obit, and his delivery method- the first show- was exactly per his Dads instructions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top