JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So my question is; has anyone else made decisions like this and what did you do to correct the situation? Did you keep them and curse? Did you offload them at a loss? Did you trade them?

I've been pondering over the same question. I have some real sweet guns I never take out of the safe any more. This weekend it hit me how much "crap" I've accumulated, if anyone could ever call a sweet Les Baer 1911 that's a flawless shooter "crap". But if it just sits there like a door stop alone and lonely in the safe, it's pretty much useless crap -to me. I'm thinking that it would be better to parse off the things I no longer use and let another have the joy than I just let goods wither away or sit in a safe. I see my wife doing the same thing with clothes and dishes. We don't need 50++ dinner plates. Those few times you are having a large social function in your house is why the good lord invented paper plates. How many running outfits does a girl need? 10 I could buy into and accept, but 30 or 40? Really?

We each get there real slow, and one day you wake up and ask yourself "would my life be better without some of this stuff I've having to step over or around?" Do I need 10 tents, some still brand new? How about the old massive family tent that had the rainfly destroyed years back and hasn't been used or moved for at least 10 years about when the kids moved out? Meh. You and I are there now. We all approach it differently, but that's the joy of life, we get to call it the way we each see it. I move slowly, but will be selling some guns and giving some crap away. Plan on seeing my 30 year old Eureka tent with a new blue tarp over it being used by homeless folks soon.

".........drug interactions between liver, kidney, brain, 2 types of arthritis, and diabetes........."-

Dayum fella, you have a lot going on. I had shoulder surgery recently (ripped 4 of the tendons in there via playing too hard) and my mind quibbles over eating 2 Ibuprofens or not. As you're clearly sharp enough, you don't need me to say that sometimes less is more do you? Cause sometimes less truly is better. If you haven't read this work yet, I'd highly suggest it. "The Zone Diet". It's all about reducing or eliminating arthritis and diabetes and tuning up your health through your diet and sometimes being able to get rid of the chemicals. This translates into better athletic condition as well. It worked for arthritis for me (the Mayo clinic site says all you can do for arthritis is to buy larger handled implements - which is bullony) although I still have pretty crooked and bumpy finger joints, at least they are 100% pain free as long as I eat right. (which is harder than it seems:)

Best to you.

one thing to remember your not spending money on a firearm, your investing it. If something comes up, you can always sell a firearm, unlike other tangible investments, like art.

I disagree.

For the most part you will be lucky if you get the amount you have invested into a firearm. The more expensive a firearm is, the harder it will be to sell because there will be fewer buyers.

If you are a prepper, here is something to think about:

If you had to bug out, how many of those firearms could you take with you?

Barter them off before you go. Depending on if you can or not. Or bring on friends and arm them.

Barter them off before you go. Depending on if you can or not. Or bring on friends and arm them.

*Ahem* (Clears throat uncomfortably) The Saiga 308 backs up the Winchester 70 both in .308. The Calico Liberty II is for house to house work. The Mossberg 500a is for general use. The CZ75B is my favorite 9mm. The M1911A1 in 45ACP I got because,,,,well I was browbeaten into it by my gun smith.

Bill's a little guy- 5'-5" or so and is always smoking UNFILTERED Chesterfields while drinking coffee. "Larry, you need a 45" No I don't Bill- I've carried a 9mm for years and it suits me fine". Bill glares at me "Lar, when you were a boy did you watch Star Trek?" I blink at the non-sequitor- "well, yeah, didn't everyone?" Bill says in that gravely voice "OK the difference between a 9mm and a 45 ACP is the difference between a phaser set to "stun" vs. a phaser set to "kill". Now, are you gonna buy a 45 or not and have me work on it?"

How could I argue with that? How could I refute that logic? Its been 5 years and I still haven't come up with a good comeback!

Yes, I am a "Survivalist" or "Heavy Prepper"

Dayum fella, you have a lot going on. I had shoulder surgery recently (ripped 4 of the tendons in there via playing too hard) and my mind quibbles over eating 2 Ibuprofens or not. As you're clearly sharp enough, you don't need me to say that sometimes less is more do you? Cause sometimes less truly is better. I am very lucky from that perspective- I've got a great psychologist, a great general GP, and one of the guys I went to basic training with is now (30 years later) a Nurse Practioner- between those three I feel I've got some of the very best medical care- anywhere. If you haven't read this work yet, I'd highly suggest it. "The Zone Diet". It's all about reducing or eliminating arthritis and diabetes and tuning up your health through your diet and sometimes being able to get rid of the chemicals. Can't- Jonathan the Nurse Pract. friend of mine put me on the Paleo diet and won't let me off This translates into better athletic condition as well. It worked for arthritis for me (the Mayo clinic site says all you can do for arthritis is to buy larger handled implements - which is bullony) although I still have pretty crooked and bumpy finger joints, at least they are 100% pain free as long as I eat right. (which is harder than it seems:) Boy you got that right- everywhere we look its junk food- and that junk food tastes oh,,,,so,,,,,nice,,,,,! Which in my case is usually followed by my doctors verbally beating me up.

Best to you.

Thank You- I hope your shoulder gets better too. I always thought as we got older we simply got older then we died. I didn't understand we actually died a little bit at a time :(

There's no such thing and too many because you can alway buy another safe or a bigger house.

This is stil America.

Don't sell anything unless you plain don't like it anymore or you indeed need the money. And if you don't like it, I would suggest you trade it for something else. Trading can be a lot of fun as usually both parties feel like they got a great deal.

*Laughs* You're a bad influence on the wife and myself Mr. Martini. Actually the wife and I are looking at 20 acres, 3 or 4 bedroom house in a small town called Mena, AR. Its a retirement center and the nifty thing about it is a 30 year mortgage is $460/month plus 100 for electric, and right now I'm paying $1000/month trapped in the ghetto of Lakewood, WA. Wake up, Kiss the dog, Kick the wife, shower, take meds, log on,,,,I mean what else is there to do? Thinking about growing ginseng after watching that TV show "Appalachian Poachers" or whatever its called. $650/pound for a root that tastes like dirt? If I can grow 10 acres of it,,,well, its not being on the computer right so thats healthy. I can do a bit of hunting, maybe get some goaties and chickens and I've been given a tentative offer of part time employment as Senior Locksmith. I tentatively said "yes- but my brain,,,,I require adult supervision" and they said they'd provide the supervision. So we'll see. We're planning on a trip here in May for loan prequalification, look around- I mean who wants to spend $100K without doing at least a bit of a looking around right? Neither the wife or myself has family- and if things come together we'll leave Washington State in September. We have nothing here to keep us so why not?

Funny you should mention that Mr. Reno. I went here Find 22lr Ammo in stock | WikiArms - Live Ammo Inventory Tracking and tried to purchase a case of 22LR (40grain, std velocity) from Midway USA and it was backordered from December. OK, fair enough- never got updates from Midway, then I went to Midways website and received conflicting data- some said it was on order, some said back ordered with no expected date of arrival. So I cancelled it- but I wanted that 5,550 rounds to use as "trade bait". I'd rather have 3 to 5 cases of .22LR for "trade bait" if I could get it.

Arm the friends is essentially what I've considered. By the way did you know that bullets make great lead/steel ballast for motorcycle trailers? I put this camping trailer on my skooter and the trailer bounced all over the place- loaded it up with cases of 9mm and steel 223 and that fixed the problem
Motorcycle with trailer 004.jpg and Motorcycle with trailer 001.jpg

Motorcycle with trailer 004.jpg

Motorcycle with trailer 001.jpg

Do any of your meds make you talk to yourself. After reading all of your posts, it sounds like it.

If you notice the NAMES of the SPECIFIC PEOPLE I WRITE TO you would realize that thinking before hitting the <enter> key might be a good idea. Each post I've made has been to a specific persons question or comment.

So based on this data that you have missed there's 3 possibilities: 1)You don't actually read the posts you just scan them 2)You intentionally go out of your way to find things to complain about or 3)English is a second language for you and you're trying to find a way to ask a question but not quite sure how to phrase it.

If its 1, then your attention to detail sucks. If its 2, take some wood build a bridge and get over it- nobody needs trolls. If its 3, contact me by PM and I'll see if I can find a local English as a Second Language ("ESL") course in your neighborhood close to where you live.

Do any of your meds make you talk to yourself. After reading all of your posts, it sounds like it.

Out of the 24 posts I have made, 20 of them specifically mentions the name of the person with whom it was directed at. Thats 83% of comments directly aimed at specific people. Its easy to do the math- their names are listed right there in the posts.

So since you have questioned my medication I shall ask "Are the other 20 people that I have talked to figments of YOUR imagination? Possibly hallucinations?"

If you have a problem with me, take it to a Private Message or take it to a moderator. If you have a REALLY serious problem, then put me on ignore- its a free country, you don't have to read my posts, nobody's forcing you.

Trailltrader, THE ANSWER IS NO !!! If you decide to sell some thought, you could donate to your favorite 2A organization, just a thought.

Well Slinger, I have assisted the Boy Scouts in purchasing a few bolt action .22LR's for training a few years back. I only have one rifle that would really fit into that category- and frankly it's too dangerous to give away but I don't have the heart to destroy it. I've shot it- its not like I use my face right and it can only look better with a breech blast right? Seriously- its an old bolt action,,,Stevens 39 or something like that and the barrel is pinned into the receiver. But the barrel was bent where it went into the receiver so I literally put it receiver into my trucks tow hitch receiver and VERY gently straightened it out. Seems to shoot "OK" (as well as buckhorn sights allows a person to be legally blind- the ONE TIME you want more light Buckhorns block it out. Only thing worse than Buckhorns is the semi-buckhorn)

I adore your quote, Slinger- "I'm just one gun away from a collection!!" Thats awesome!

M-35 is an old rig, 1950's old
This is quite true Mr. Erudne; I was driving specifically the M35A2 model. Near as I can figure it out it simply means there's steel plate in the cargo area instead of the wooden slat's with metal spacer thingys to separate them. Engines were inline multifuel 6 cylinder, rated at 375 HP, 5 speed transmission (I think thats right) PTO for the front winch, and 2 each "yarn skein" filters but I can't remember if they were for the oil or the diesel- its been too many years since I've worked on one. Seems we could run every kind of fuel (supposedly) except aviation fuel with an octane rating of 125, and we had little red "Danger" stickers on the tachometers that blocked the 2500 RPM or above. For all the time I was at Bragg we only did like 3 oil changes- every month we would do the Army's Oil Analysis Program- which saved something like 11 million dollars a year (1987 number) I can't remember too much more other than Sargeant Kern (Motor Hole Sgt) wanted to paint one of the rigs like the old "Wonderbread" Bread Truck- white, with the little different colored balloon circles then swear up and down to the CO it was for urban combat. Oh, and I also remember there was a sticker that said "DO NOT USE CHOKE AS CRUISE CONTROL" (Or words to that effect)

Want to know what makes a person feel really old? Is when they see all of their commo equipment in either museums or on Ebay for pennies on the dollar. The radio systems we had were ANGRC50's and ANGRC-103a's. I loved the 50's, was kind of "meh" on the 103's. Found a pair of 103's for sale for $4995.00 each plush S&H but they didn't have complete heads and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what I'd do with my own limited line of sight telephone system limited to 30 miles. Other than being fun to play with! :)
SS073280161im.jpg

The "Yarn Skein" filters must have been for diesel fuel because they had petcocks on the bottom to drain out any water that may have gotten into the fuel system. Yet it seems like there was some screw on used for the oil- seems they took 24 quarts total if you did a complete oil change with filters.

SS073280161im.jpg

Last Edited:
Hi Larry, welcome to the forum. Will try to stay focused here and not get too far off into the weeds. First though, gotta get it off my chest, $15K isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

So my question is; has anyone else made decisions like this and what did you do to correct the situation? Did you keep them and curse? Did you offload them at a loss? Did you trade them?
While apparently not a lone dissenter here, it seems the minority to be sure; dispose, if thats the itch that needs to be scratched!

If a person has been in this "hobby" long enough, they're going to regret something... something sold, lost, not bought, given away, something. Every person is different and what motivates some doesn't do it for others. Personally I seem to have an ebb and flow of interests. Sometimes it gets outta hand; past few years I've been on a big shotgun kick (pun intended), have purchased a few too many shotguns. This clashes with my somewhat OCDness and wanting everything neat, clean and simple. Shotguns "stacked like cord wood" and tripping over boxes of parts - is really getting to me. Have always admired (an have been a bit envious) of the folks who can "get buy" with just a couple guns; you have probably seen them, the folks who open their safe and there are a couple ARs, a couple handguns, a 22, a shotgun or two and a deer rifle. I'm not there (and probably never will be) but I can simplify and trim the excess a bit. I've only been doing this for a few decades, but thats my itch that needs to be scratched, everybody else will have their own.

As far as buying/selling/trading, like anything else, its all in the purchase. Anything "custom" after the purchase is usually money down the tube; might make for a wonderful item, but unless it has a pedigree (something along the lines of "my 1911 was built by Bill Wilson himself and here is the documentation to prove it") its not going to be worth much if anything and may be a hindrance ...always fun to read about the "custom" guns for sale.

On the couple guns you mentioned in your first post... the Savage is a neat little gun, but strictly speaking Pesos, sounds like you might be in too deep, the sentimental value though my well be worth it to you. Go to sell that Savage and you're probably not going to get what you have into it. The Calico you might be able to get yourself out of and not loose your shirt. With selling I believe your audience is important; I don't know how well your Calico would sell here on NWFA, but a Glock 19 would probably go quick. Trying to figure out what to do with a nice ole Ithaca Trench Gun and an SBRed FAL ...those will be a chore.

As mentioned, have bought and sold over the years. Try not to loose (too much). Have a couple regrets selling, couple that should have been sold years ago but still hang around, and just me here, HATE trading. Thats just me though.

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum. Will try to stay focused here and not get off into the weeds. First though, gotta get it off my chest, $15K isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

While apparently not a lone dissenter here, it seems the minority to be sure; dispose, if thats the itch that needs to be scratched!

If a person has been in this "hobby" long enough, they're going to regret something... something sold, lost, not bought, given away, something. Every person is different and what motivates some doesn't do it for others. Personally I seem to have an ebb and flow of interests. Sometimes it gets outta hand; past few years I've been on a big shotgun kick (pun intended), have purchased a few too many shotguns. This clashes with my somewhat OCDness and wanting everything neat, clean and simple. Shotguns "stacked like cord wood" and tripping over boxes of parts - is really getting to me. *Just laughs* You know what I'm talking about then Have always admired (an have been a bit envious) of the folks who can "get buy" with just a couple guns; you have probably seen them, the folks who open their safe and there are a couple ARs, a couple handguns, a 22, a shotgun or two and a deer rifle. I'm not there (and probably never will be) but I can simplify and trim the excess a bit. I've only been doing this for a few decades, but thats my itch that needs to be scratched, everybody else will have their own. Exactly- you add, subtract, modify, then realize that modification was exactly what you should NOT have done. Or you compromised...

As far as buying/selling/trading, like anything else, its all in the purchase. Anything "custom" after the purchase is usually money down the tube; might make for a wonderful item, but unless it has a pedigree (something along the lines of "my 1911 was built by Bill Wilson himself and here is the documentation to prove it") its not going to be worth much if anything and may be a hindrance ...always fun to read about the "custom" guns for sale. Oh so very true Sir! However, it also enforces strict mental honesty. If you have everything mechanically perfect you cannot say "My rifle is shooting wrong". The trigger person must say "I flinched" or "I pulled left (or right) or whatever.

On the couple guns you mentioned in your first post... the Savage is a neat little gun, but strictly speaking Pesos, sounds like you might be in too deep, the sentimental value though my well be worth it to you. *Laughs* The Savage model 24 was my favorite rifle when growing up- and you Sir are 100% right. The rifle is worth roughly $230 dollars- MAX. Yes, I put in another $570 or whatever because I wanted it perfect. No, I'll never see a dime of that money back again- but its MY favorite rifle so yes, it gets preferential treatmentGo to sell that Savage and you're probably not going to get what you have into it. The Calico you might be able to get yourself out of and not loose your shirt. Tried on gunbroker- I'm into it about $1100, highest bid was about $650 and that included 2 100 round magazines with $90 speed loader :(With selling I believe your audience is important; I don't know how well your Calico would sell here on NWFA, but a Glock 19 would probably go quick. Trying to figure out what to do with a nice ole Ithaca Trench Gun and an SBRed FAL ...those will be a chore. Everyone I know of love's glock's except me and my friend Dave. If its an Ithaca model 37 that's good shootin' iron and should sell quickly I'd think. FAL's are all over the map. I've seen great ones, and I've seen those crap one's with the aluminum recievers- you know, the ones that blow up. The metric's are easy to get parts for (relatively speaking) but the inch ones,,,uh, not so much

As mentioned, have bought and sold over the years. Try not to loose (too much). Have a couple regrets selling, couple that should have been sold years ago but still hang around, and just me here, HATE trading. Thats just me though.

You're 100% right- or if you're wrong, you're not wrong by very much. Had an 1890ish Ivar Johnson break top in 38 S&W that was in poor shape- took it apart just to see how the action worked. So yeah, old beaters can be used as training aids but its hard to get your money back- especially if you're like me and purchased 100% retail.

...especially if you're like me and purchased 100% retail.
There's the rub! When they say it pays to be patient, they're not kidding. So many things in life (firearms being why we're here on this site) can be found in great condition and hardly used or abused for prices far lower than retail, but everyone seems to do things a bit different, to each his own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top